1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how many millipedes comfortably fit in a 5.5 gal tank?

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by maggiedonut, Jul 11, 2019.

1. maggiedonut

maggiedonut Arachnosquire Active Member

Advertisement
    I have four ivories now and plan on getting some more real soon but I don't want to overcrowd, how many would you recommend for a 5.5 gallon?

2. Andrew Clayton

Andrew Clayton Arachnobaron Active Member

As far as I know with these they are quite communal you could fit 6 or 7 adults in a 5 gal

• Like Like x 1
  3. Arthroverts

Arthroverts Arachnobaron Active Member

You could easily fit 15+ adults and many immatures in a five gallon as long as there is plenty of food and a deep substrate available.

Hope this helps,

Arthroverts

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Andrew Clayton

Andrew Clayton Arachnobaron Active Member

What @Arthroverts Said I'm new to millipedes and that's all I would keep

• Like Like x 1
  5. Elytra and Antenna

Elytra and Antenna Arachnoking Old Timer

USA
    The problem is keeping adequate food in a small space more than the space. You could keep a hundred if you changed out the substrate weekly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. maggiedonut

maggiedonut Arachnosquire Active Member

ohhh i see that makes sense thanks for the info

7. Aquarimax

Aquarimax Arachnoangel Active Member

Utah
    Just to add my two cents, I have about 5 adults and maybe 40 juveniles in a tub that is near the size of a 5.5 gallon. I do add supplementary foods and new leaf
    litter often.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. BuzzSwole

BuzzSwole Arachnosquire Active Member

I have 8 North Americans in 55gal and I need to scoop poop and add leaves weekly ( I did have some canyons sneak in)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 9:24 PM
  9. davehuth

davehuth Arachnoknight Active Member

My Ivories are a group of 8 adults and dozens of babies in something like an 8 gallon tub. Like many above have mentioned, i make sure to add lots of supplemental foods, and weekly freshen the leaf litter/crumbled decomposing wood. They also have many sticks to climb around on so everybody has plenty of space to wander.

• Like Like x 1