1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many is too many?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Trincess, May 16, 2018.

Perfect number of pet tarantulas?

Poll closed Wednesday at 2:59 PM.
  1. 1-2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 3-10

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. You can never have too many

38 vote(s)
    95.0%
  1. Trincess

Trincess Arachnopeon Active Member

Uk
    Advertisement
    So my husband basically got me to agree to no more tarantulas. But I only have 4 at the moment. That’s not a lot. And I’m going to the British Tarantula Show this weekend where I’m sure I’ll be tempted to get another one. Is he being unreasonable. Is it even possible to have too many tarantulas? Plus I’m not allowed to tell my mother in law that I have any tarantulas at all. I mean why ??? I have over 100 cockroaches nobody is counting those

2. spookyvibes

spookyvibes Arachnoknight Active Member

Indiana
    I think it depend on the individual. Some people can handle taking care of hundreds, some can only manage taking care of a few. I personally have 13 at the moment and feel like I could handle a few more. I don't think I'd be able to properly maintain a collection of +100 though.

Is there any reason why he doesn't want you to get any more? I'd suggest talking it out with him if you haven't already, see what his concerns are and go from there.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. shutout2000

shutout2000 Arachnoknight

Well, I would never let anybody tell me what I can and can't have, then yet again I'm not in a relationship. Whats his reason? From the average persons perspective 4 tarantulas would be quite a lot, but for some people here having 4 is like only having 4 ounces of a beer. I'd get him to agree to a little larger amount, like 6-8 and you keep it neat, like all their setups in one area all in a nice row or stacked.

4. ccTroi

ccTroi Arachnosquire Active Member

once you feel like taking care of them is a chore and you view it as need rather than a want, then you’ve had enough.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  5. shutout2000

I agree, I have been in that situation with mantids, it was a pain in the a$$. Trying to get all them to eat, where it was consuming hours of my day everyday. I started neglecting some, and eventually gave up most of what I had.

Although I keep tons of colonies of ants, never get sick of those guys.

6. Trincess

Trincess Arachnopeon Active Member

Uk
    @ccTroi I think that’s a good point. I’ll bear that in mind. Tarantulas do seem particularly easy to care for mind you. @shutout2000 problem might be partly that I keep them in our bedroom so I can watch their evening activity. I think he’s embarrassed that I have what he calls “anti social pets”

7. PanzoN88

PanzoN88 Arachnobaron Active Member

Ohio
    One can never have too many, I am at 37 (I had another death in the collection yesterday) and looking to add at least 8 more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. boina

boina Arachnoprince Arachnosupporter

Germany
    You made a mistake in your list, you forgot all the zeros. It should look like:

10-20 and
    30-100.

I can't count below 10 :bag: :hilarious: and I'm not even stating how many I have in a thread where people start counting in single digits... :troll:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  9. MrButton

MrButton Ruler of Straight Lines Arachnosupporter

NH,USA
    I had a very similar situation with my wife. It got to a point (when I got my 7th Tarantula) that she said no more. I accepted it and left it alone for a few months. She eventually came around and said that Ts didn't bother her anymore and that she really just wanted a say in the matter because they made her uncomfortable. Not saying this will happen in your case but perhaps your S.O. just needs time for adjustment. And as long as you can care adequately you can never have too many Ts imo :pompous:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. shutout2000

I hope to find A gf that likes T's, and bugs.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Arachno HoneyBadger Arachnosupporter

ABQ
    Just three more than you currently have at any given time is too many....

So buy in pairs.

• Like Like x 1
  12. nicodimus22

nicodimus22 Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

The number is different for everybody, but I feel that at some point, you'll cross a line where the pleasure you get from having all of them doesn't outweigh the cost and maintenance as much (both of which are low, but even a low number multiplied by dozens or hundreds can add up.) For me, the ideal number is somewhere in the neighborhood of 25-35.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  13. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

Yes, I hate to inform you but clearly you need to trade out your husband for a new model.

No, it's subjective.

This is the strangest thing I've read on here in a long time. They don't care you have hundres of insects, esp ROACHES, but a few Ts and it's an issue bigger than the Royal family getting married????? Tell them to get a grip.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  14. SDCustom78

SDCustom78 Arachnopeon

If one can't keep up with the husbandry and it suffers because of the number/s, it is entirely possible to have too many Tarantulas be it 1, 10, 100, or what have you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Truth is that its almost easier to take care of 15-20 than it is to keep 3 or 4....I mean, you can now actually go buy a dozen crickets and not just a couple at a time....and hey, if you already have a roach colony...well 20 wouldn't even make a dent in those roaches. At least with 20 you will have a little activity to observe...they are inherently inactive animals, and more allows you to actually see their behaviors more regularly.

I couldn't imagine having just a couple. Its like going to a movie and just getting 3 or 4 cornels of popcorn.o_O

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Olan

Olan Arachnobaron Old Timer

Yeah, less than 10 is pretty boring. Often not doing anything. My optimal number is 30-35 I think.

• Like Like x 1
  17. zizz

zizz Arachnopeon

UK
    That’s an interesting topic because people who has no interest in tarantulas, scorpions or other arachnids would hardly never understand the joy and addiction of keeping them.

In my case, I started this hobby since Jan and I’ve building up my collection up to 15 currently (6 scorps not included), my girlfriend was like “that’s enough” when I got my 3rd T, then after I bought more, she doesn’t care anymore, I think she’s just go used to it and she ended up naming some of my Ts and talk to them somehow, which is cute

However that might not be in ur case since ur partner mentioned Ts are antisocial pets...it’s a bit weird if u know what I mean, I wouldn’t say something like that to someone’s hobby, especially my loving ones.

Thing is, u are in a relationship and living together with someone, so u still need to consider his feelings, communication in an effective way is key in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lithobius

Lithobius Arachnosquire Active Member

As long as you can take care of them all...
    But either way I have my own workspace and that's where I keep them so for my guy it's out of sight, out of mind and he doesn't think much about how many are in there. So you might want to consider having some of them not-in-the-bedroom if you want to expand.

Seems odd that the Ts are the concern and not the roaches

19. Garth Vader

Garth Vader Arachnohipster Arachnosupporter

I say that there can't really be too many if you have the space and the time to care for them. My spouse will tend to disagree with this, so I am usually trying to find the middle ground here!

(I have 11 now, and two years ago I swore that I would only have 1!)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. BoyFromLA

BoyFromLA ‎٩(ˊᗜˋ*)و Arachnosupporter

CA
    I voted for:

6678B841-5F13-4472-9276-3E8488AB588F.jpeg

But honestly, around 30 is my limit.