• 3-10

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • You can never have too many

Votes: 38 95.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Trincess

Arachnopeon
So my husband basically got me to agree to no more tarantulas. But I only have 4 at the moment. That’s not a lot. And I’m going to the British Tarantula Show this weekend where I’m sure I’ll be tempted to get another one. Is he being unreasonable. Is it even possible to have too many tarantulas? Plus I’m not allowed to tell my mother in law that I have any tarantulas at all. I mean why ??? I have over 100 cockroaches nobody is counting those

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
I think it depend on the individual. Some people can handle taking care of hundreds, some can only manage taking care of a few. I personally have 13 at the moment and feel like I could handle a few more. I don't think I'd be able to properly maintain a collection of +100 though.

Is there any reason why he doesn't want you to get any more? I'd suggest talking it out with him if you haven't already, see what his concerns are and go from there.

shutout2000

Arachnoknight
Well, I would never let anybody tell me what I can and can't have, then yet again I'm not in a relationship. Whats his reason? From the average persons perspective 4 tarantulas would be quite a lot, but for some people here having 4 is like only having 4 ounces of a beer. I'd get him to agree to a little larger amount, like 6-8 and you keep it neat, like all their setups in one area all in a nice row or stacked.

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
once you feel like taking care of them is a chore and you view it as need rather than a want, then you’ve had enough.

shutout2000

Arachnoknight
once you feel like taking care of them is a chore and you view it as need rather than a want, then you’ve had enough.
I agree, I have been in that situation with mantids, it was a pain in the a$$. Trying to get all them to eat, where it was consuming hours of my day everyday. I started neglecting some, and eventually gave up most of what I had.

Although I keep tons of colonies of ants, never get sick of those guys.

Trincess

Arachnopeon
@ccTroi I think that’s a good point. I’ll bear that in mind. Tarantulas do seem particularly easy to care for mind you. @shutout2000 problem might be partly that I keep them in our bedroom so I can watch their evening activity. I think he’s embarrassed that I have what he calls “anti social pets”

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
One can never have too many, I am at 37 (I had another death in the collection yesterday) and looking to add at least 8 more.

boina

Lady of the mites
You made a mistake in your list, you forgot all the zeros. It should look like:

10-20 and
30-100.

I can't count below 10 :bag: :rofl: and I'm not even stating how many I have in a thread where people start counting in single digits... :troll:

DanBsTs

Dan (Not Even Cool) the Man
So my husband basically got me to agree to no more tarantulas. But I only have 4 at the moment. That’s not a lot. And I’m going to the British Tarantula Show this weekend where I’m sure I’ll be tempted to get another one. Is he being unreasonable. Is it even possible to have too many tarantulas? Plus I’m not allowed to tell my mother in law that I have any tarantulas at all. I mean why ??? I have over 100 cockroaches nobody is counting those
I had a very similar situation with my wife. It got to a point (when I got my 7th Tarantula) that she said no more. I accepted it and left it alone for a few months. She eventually came around and said that Ts didn't bother her anymore and that she really just wanted a say in the matter because they made her uncomfortable. Not saying this will happen in your case but perhaps your S.O. just needs time for adjustment. And as long as you can care adequately you can never have too many Ts imo :pompous:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
The number is different for everybody, but I feel that at some point, you'll cross a line where the pleasure you get from having all of them doesn't outweigh the cost and maintenance as much (both of which are low, but even a low number multiplied by dozens or hundreds can add up.) For me, the ideal number is somewhere in the neighborhood of 25-35.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Is he being unreasonable
Yes, I hate to inform you but clearly you need to trade out your husband for a new model.

Is it even possible to have too many tarantulas?
No, it's subjective.

I mean why ??? I have over 100 cockroaches nobody is counting those
This is the strangest thing I've read on here in a long time. They don't care you have hundres of insects, esp ROACHES, but a few Ts and it's an issue bigger than the Royal family getting married????? Tell them to get a grip.

cold blood

Staff member
Truth is that its almost easier to take care of 15-20 than it is to keep 3 or 4....I mean, you can now actually go buy a dozen crickets and not just a couple at a time....and hey, if you already have a roach colony...well 20 wouldn't even make a dent in those roaches. At least with 20 you will have a little activity to observe...they are inherently inactive animals, and more allows you to actually see their behaviors more regularly.

I couldn't imagine having just a couple. Its like going to a movie and just getting 3 or 4 cornels of popcorn.o_O

Last edited:

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah, less than 10 is pretty boring. Often not doing anything. My optimal number is 30-35 I think.

zizz

Arachnopeon
That’s an interesting topic because people who has no interest in tarantulas, scorpions or other arachnids would hardly never understand the joy and addiction of keeping them.

In my case, I started this hobby since Jan and I’ve building up my collection up to 15 currently (6 scorps not included), my girlfriend was like “that’s enough” when I got my 3rd T, then after I bought more, she doesn’t care anymore, I think she’s just go used to it and she ended up naming some of my Ts and talk to them somehow, which is cute

However that might not be in ur case since ur partner mentioned Ts are antisocial pets...it’s a bit weird if u know what I mean, I wouldn’t say something like that to someone’s hobby, especially my loving ones.

Thing is, u are in a relationship and living together with someone, so u still need to consider his feelings, communication in an effective way is key in my opinion.

Lithobius

Arachnosquire
As long as you can take care of them all...
But either way I have my own workspace and that's where I keep them so for my guy it's out of sight, out of mind and he doesn't think much about how many are in there. So you might want to consider having some of them not-in-the-bedroom if you want to expand.

Seems odd that the Ts are the concern and not the roaches

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
I say that there can't really be too many if you have the space and the time to care for them. My spouse will tend to disagree with this, so I am usually trying to find the middle ground here!

(I have 11 now, and two years ago I swore that I would only have 1!)