How many is too many?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just asking because as I creep closer to 30 tarantulas I wonder do I have a problem? Someone with 30 cats would have a problem I like to think of the tarantulas as more of potted plants then an animal I actually have to care for emotionally. that doesn't mean to don't feed water and clean them regularly or I don't care for them they are my babies and yes I love them and they are well cared for maybe a bit too well cared for as sometime I know I bother them a bit too much with my constant need to remove all debris from their cage at all times and the daily check up I give all of them after work. But the question is I suppose how much is too much
The only limits you have in life are self imposed.

How can any of us determine what is "too much" or "too little" for you????

Enjoy your life and don't listen to other people etc. They don't have to live YOUR life, YOU do, and you get only 1 life to live.

Last edited:

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I set myself a very realistic target of keeping just 3 tarantulas and honestly ive never been tempted to keep more honestly. The other 47 are house guests

Last edited:

Sinned

Arachnosquire
I have 14 now.. I think. That's 4 (juv) ladies and 10 slings of different sizes. Time I got, expenses I got covered. It's room space I need to keep in mind if these all grow up.

Still got some wiggle room, but I'm going to see how things go for a while. I also need to respect the people I live with and they think 14 is enough for now. Can't blame them, going from 0 to 14 in about ~6(?) months.

All NW btw, the most exciting ones are my (juv) A.genic and a couple Phormictopus slings. T's that might surprise me the coming months, I can learn and grow with them. So, time to wait and see. Also, with these numbers I always got something to look at. (bloody dirt curtains.. :shifty: )

Last edited:

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
If u have so many tarantulas u barely have time to water them and no time to just admire, you have too many.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
If feeding and maintenance has become a chore and not something that you enjoy doing - you have too many. If some are being neglected, sometimes resulting in death, because you overlook them - you have too many. If you don't have the room to keep them in appropriate sized homes and they are crammed into far too small enclosures - you have too many.
For some people, based on the above, even a dozen is too many, but for others that can reach well into the triple digits without being too many.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
Just asking because as I creep closer to 30 tarantulas I wonder do I have a problem? Someone with 30 cats would have a problem I like to think of the tarantulas as more of potted plants then an animal I actually have to care for emotionally. that doesn't mean to don't feed water and clean them regularly or I don't care for them they are my babies and yes I love them and they are well cared for maybe a bit too well cared for as sometime I know I bother them a bit too much with my constant need to remove all debris from their cage at all times and the daily check up I give all of them after work. But the question is I suppose how much is too much
as long as you can house them there is no amount in the world that is too much