How many days can it take scorpions to give birth

Prophet

Arachnosquire
Hmmm, I wonder if feeding her heavily will curb the need to snack on her kids?
I immediately thought this and have been feeding her nonstop. I've never seen her eat so much and everything that I've read has been the opposite for her. I keep reading they don't eat usually while gravid and after having but she's been absolutely ferocious. I've managed to put together a decent schedule though with minimal loss so far. I give her about 2 superworms and a waxworm. That seems to last her a day and I believe she'd actually eat more but I don't want to really overdo it. I'm going to just stay on her with the worms until babies either fall off and I can catch them and separate, or if by a miracle they molt and dangerously decide to venture in the battlefield on their own LoL.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I immediately thought this and have been feeding her nonstop. I've never seen her eat so much and everything that I've read has been the opposite for her. I keep reading they don't eat usually while gravid and after having but she's been absolutely ferocious. I've managed to put together a decent schedule though with minimal loss so far. I give her about 2 superworms and a waxworm. That seems to last her a day and I believe she'd actually eat more but I don't want to really overdo it. I'm going to just stay on her with the worms until babies either fall off and I can catch them and separate, or if by a miracle they molt and dangerously decide to venture in the battlefield on their own LoL.
She's definitely an oddity then. I've had various species snack before, but never continual eating. Those worms will be fatty meals too, so hopefully that helps fill her up more. It'll be really interesting if they molt and jump off. I can't imagine she's going to respond well to them if they do, but fingers crossed she'll know they aren't (initially) edible! Once that time gets closer it may be good to add some extra hides that are too small for her to get into.

Prophet

Arachnosquire
She's definitely an oddity then. I've had various species snack before, but never continual eating. Those worms will be fatty meals too, so hopefully that helps fill her up more. It'll be really interesting if they molt and jump off. I can't imagine she's going to respond well to them if they do, but fingers crossed she'll know they aren't (initially) edible! Once that time gets closer it may be good to add some extra hides that are too small for her to get into.
Yes very odd indeed. I have 7 emperors and it takes any single one of them about 3+ hours to eat something. The last time I saw one of them eat I think was about 2 weeks ago so its definitely a major difference. So far I've never had any issues with her though and she does seem quite active and healthy so its a plus in my book. There is no telling how many she's probably eaten I have no idea about. I've caught her eating about 4, found another 2 or 3 half mauled and dying and placed 3 successfully back on her back. She currently has about 14 now and seems to be popping them out every 6-10hrs but has seemed to not had any in the past 12 so she may be done. The one I placed in a little deli cup seems to be doing fine too. I'll be able to save some I'm sure but I already know I'll have no choice but to get lucky and get them as soon as they come off of her.
Also, great suggestion about some smaller hides. Maybe they can get lucky and survive by hiding until I get them

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Hey by the way Miss Moxie how are your broods doing? Don't you have some as well?
I only have one brood that's still on the back but they've begun to separate and I need to get them isolated before they start munching one another. She was a good mom though, she didn't munch any of them.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yes very odd indeed. I have 7 emperors and it takes any single one of them about 3+ hours to eat something. The last time I saw one of them eat I think was about 2 weeks ago so its definitely a major difference. So far I've never had any issues with her though and she does seem quite active and healthy so its a plus in my book. There is no telling how many she's probably eaten I have no idea about. I've caught her eating about 4, found another 2 or 3 half mauled and dying and placed 3 successfully back on her back. She currently has about 14 now and seems to be popping them out every 6-10hrs but has seemed to not had any in the past 12 so she may be done. The one I placed in a little deli cup seems to be doing fine too. I'll be able to save some I'm sure but I already know I'll have no choice but to get lucky and get them as soon as they come off of her.
Also, great suggestion about some smaller hides. Maybe they can get lucky and survive by hiding until I get them
My old flatrocks were pretty fast eaters too. I don't know if it has something to do with them being dersert dwellers and needing to eat fast since they don't know when the next meal is coming. My Hottentotta and Parabuthus tend to eat really quickly as well, whereas the Tityus are a bit slower. Yeah I'd say she's probably done giving birth then. Since you aren't trying to breed her I'd say she's still going to be a good pet to have :) Minus eating her kids lol. Hopefully the rest pull through and can molt and get pulled.

Prophet

Arachnosquire
My old flatrocks were pretty fast eaters too. I don't know if it has something to do with them being dersert dwellers and needing to eat fast since they don't know when the next meal is coming. My Hottentotta and Parabuthus tend to eat really quickly as well, whereas the Tityus are a bit slower. Yeah I'd say she's probably done giving birth then. Since you aren't trying to breed her I'd say she's still going to be a good pet to have :) Minus eating her kids lol. Hopefully the rest pull through and can molt and get pulled.
Being that's the case with your old flatrocks eating fast too maybe you are onto something about them eating quickly b/c of their background. Probably constantly thinking they need all the moisture they can get from wherever, whenever. Out of all the ones I have she's my favorite just as far as looks and activeness go. She's constantly walking around like a large tank. I'm thinking maybe she was constantly picked up or just stressed for awhile b/c the guy that sold her to me at the Repticon was pretty rough trying to display how docile they are. I knew she was probably gravid is why I got her to begin with so it all paid off. She's prob less stressed with me and now I have some babies out of the deal to raise so win win for us all.

Prophet

Arachnosquire
I only have one brood that's still on the back but they've begun to separate and I need to get them isolated before they start munching one another. She was a good mom though, she didn't munch any of them.
Oh ok nice. What do you feed the babies besides pinheads if anything? I'm looking for some alternatives.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Being that's the case with your old flatrocks eating fast too maybe you are onto something about them eating quickly b/c of their background. Probably constantly thinking they need all the moisture they can get from wherever, whenever. Out of all the ones I have she's my favorite just as far as looks and activeness go. She's constantly walking around like a large tank. I'm thinking maybe she was constantly picked up or just stressed for awhile b/c the guy that sold her to me at the Repticon was pretty rough trying to display how docile they are. I knew she was probably gravid is why I got her to begin with so it all paid off. She's prob less stressed with me and now I have some babies out of the deal to raise so win win for us all.
Definitely a good pickup on your part! They're a decently popular scorp too, so you shouldn't have any problems finding homes for the slings you choose to sell.

Oh ok nice. What do you feed the babies besides pinheads if anything? I'm looking for some alternatives.
Small roaches will work too. Those slings might even be able to take small crickets since they'll be fair sized after they molt to 2i.

Prophet

Arachnosquire
Definitely a good pickup on your part! They're a decently popular scorp too, so you shouldn't have any problems finding homes for the slings you choose to sell.

Small roaches will work too. Those slings might even be able to take small crickets since they'll be fair sized after they molt to 2i.
Thanks will keep in mind. I think I'm going give fruit flies a try this time. I should be having some baby waxworms in a few weeks as well as superworms so between those they will have plenty to sample. The mom has slowed down on eating finally. She killed a waxworm and held onto it for over an hour before she decided to eat it. She's still eating on it hours later so hopefully she's full. Guess all those babies exhausted her. How long does it usually take them to molt the first couple of times?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thanks will keep in mind. I think I'm going give fruit flies a try this time. I should be having some baby waxworms in a few weeks as well as superworms so between those they will have plenty to sample. The mom has slowed down on eating finally. She killed a waxworm and held onto it for over an hour before she decided to eat it. She's still eating on it hours later so hopefully she's full. Guess all those babies exhausted her. How long does it usually take them to molt the first couple of times?
A variety of foods for them certainly can't hurt. You'll get a better idea of prey size once they molt too. Glad to hear the bottomless pit is finally filling up lol. They'll molt to 2i about two weeks after being born, and then it'll be a few more days before they climb off mom. Next molt will probably happen within a couple months, depending on how often you feed them and how warm they're kept.

Prophet

Arachnosquire
A variety of foods for them certainly can't hurt. You'll get a better idea of prey size once they molt too. Glad to hear the bottomless pit is finally filling up lol. They'll molt to 2i about two weeks after being born, and then it'll be a few more days before they climb off mom. Next molt will probably happen within a couple months, depending on how often you feed them and how warm they're kept.
Ok good to know and much appreciated. I'm interested to see what they look like when during the process as I've never seen one molt yet. I'm glad she's slowed down on eating also. Thought that I was going to have to breed her her own food tank and just put her in and let her go crazy--I imagine it being like when you feed a puppy and just don't know when or how to stop eating..:)