How many can I keep in a 40x25x25 terrarium?

Karl Parker

Arachnopeon
Hi,

So I'll be starting my journey into millipede keeping soon by getting some giant pink legged but I was wondering how many would comfortably live in a 40x25x25 terrarium? Better question is that too big/small for millipedes? I'm not exactly sure and have done some research but without actually having people to talk to about it internet searching can only get me so far so hopefully someone can help me with this.

Thanks in advance!

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
Okay you’ve gotta clarify what your unit of measurement is. 40 inches is quite large compared to 40 centimeters.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Adult size of D. macranthus is about 18cm so the substrate should be around 20cm, so the depth is okay. I assume that one or two adults could live in there but I do recommend a bigger enclosure though; it makes room for more millipedes and their young as well as decorations.

Karl Parker

Arachnopeon
Adult size of D. macranthus is about 18cm so the substrate should be around 20cm, so the depth is okay. I assume that one or two adults could live in there but I do recommend a bigger enclosure though; it makes room for more millipedes and their young as well as decorations.
Thanks for the feedback :) been looking round and largest I can find is 45cm x 30cm x 15cm faunarium (Apparently that's the one I should be looking for not a terrarium go figure!) do you know anywhere I could possibly find larger ones cause everytime I search faunariums I get the same Exo Terra one.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Thanks for the feedback :) been looking round and largest I can find is 45cm x 30cm x 15cm faunarium (Apparently that's the one I should be looking for not a terrarium go figure!) do you know anywhere I could possibly find larger ones cause everytime I search faunariums I get the same Exo Terra one.
Personally, I prefer plastic tubs for my myriapods. While it is near-impossible to make a plastic tub visually appealing and grow plants in it, I find that millipedes to best in spacious environments without anything too fancy. A tub with some air holes in the lid, some substrate, and maybe some bark on top, and nearly every species does well in it. It is easy to clean, you don't have to worry about millipedes destroying anything or the sides getting scratched or dirty, and the low light levels that enter it suit the millis just fine. Tubs are also cheap and the largest ones can house quite a few truly huge millipedes for a low price.

Now I'm no expert on terrariums because of this. But if you want to stick with the one you found or find other ones online (I really can't recommend any as it's not a subject I've researched) I'm sure the result would be a good deal more impressive and pretty while still maintaining function and millipede's health.

Karl Parker

Arachnopeon
Personally, I prefer plastic tubs for my myriapods. While it is near-impossible to make a plastic tub visually appealing and grow plants in it, I find that millipedes to best in spacious environments without anything too fancy. A tub with some air holes in the lid, some substrate, and maybe some bark on top, and nearly every species does well in it. It is easy to clean, you don't have to worry about millipedes destroying anything or the sides getting scratched or dirty, and the low light levels that enter it suit the millis just fine. Tubs are also cheap and the largest ones can house quite a few truly huge millipedes for a low price.

Now I'm no expert on terrariums because of this. But if you want to stick with the one you found or find other ones online (I really can't recommend any as it's not a subject I've researched) I'm sure the result would be a good deal more impressive and pretty while still maintaining function and millipede's health.
Really do appreciate the feedback! :) So did some digging round and turned out the place I worked did bigger storage tubs for cheaper (3 for £9 instead of the one online for £14) and so:

Attachments