1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long does it take you to do your maintenance with your Tarantulas?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Deb60, Jul 14, 2017.

1. wetwork

wetwork Arachnosquire Arachnosupporter

CA
    Advertisement
    11 tarantulas. Takes about an hour a week. Most time consuming is catching the smaller crickets in their enclosure.

2. STi

STi Arachnopeon

DMV
    I love that keeping tarantulas doesn't have to adhere to a strict schedule. Unlike other pets that require daily feedings and possibly more. That being said I'm around 80 and spend maybe 2 hours, 3-4 nights a week so between 6 to 8 hours a week.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. GreyPsyche

GreyPsyche Arachnosquire

7 Tarantulas.

Maybe 15 minutes a week including feeding time.

• Like Like x 1
  4. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnobaron Active Member

The struggle is real, my versicolor that I got as a sling always used to do that up until she hit an inch and a half, I got this little bugger recently as part of a mystery box and it does the same.

cvers.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. cold blood

cold blood ArachnoGod Active Member

I can spend hours a night if im inclined...that said, i also leave for 2-4 days at a crack pretty regularly.....sometimes it takes a few hours...and i literally have at least that much work every day.

Ive got about 125 adults and juvies....probably close to 1k slings atm.

20170609_005044.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Award Award x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  6. archaeosite

archaeosite Arachnosquire

I think I have about 23 right now. 30 minutes or less to water and do minor maintenance on Wednesday, then about an hour to feed and water on Sunday.
    Rehouses are done as needed and I usually set aside a three-hour block to get many done at once.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ThisMeansWAR

ThisMeansWAR Arachnosquire

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  8. ThisMeansWAR

ThisMeansWAR Arachnosquire

Are you saying that you're around 80 years old or keep around 80 tarantulas?

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  9. STi

STi Arachnopeon

DMV
    Lol although there are times I certainly feel like it now a days, I'm about half that in age. My tarantula count is about 80 and I'd hate to think of how long I would take if I were 80 years old.

Add: that does bring about another thing I've been wondering, possibly more suited for another thread, but how old might the oldest t keeper be. Or even the average age here on AB

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Formerphobe

Formerphobe Arachnoking Arachnosupporter

VA, USA
    I have about 80 tarantulas and an undetermined number of scorpions. If I'm just watering, it would take about 30 minutes. If most were getting fed on any given day, it would take me about 60 minutes if I just tossed the prey in and didn't get sidetracked.
    I usually end up dedicating part of one of my days off per week to water, feed those who are due, watch them eat and do other spider things, spot clean, take pictures, rehouse, etc.
    I check in on all of them at least twice a day. Just a walk through to check for signs of life, monitor those in premolt, etc. Sometimes it takes 5 minutes. Other times I get engrossed watching one or more of them do important spider things and it takes longer. I have been known to be a little late for work if I'm watching one of them molt. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. jaycied

jaycied Arachnosquire Active Member

Idaho
    20 Ts, I check on everyone whenever I get spare moments, feed some roughly once a week, but I always have some in premolt.
    Typical week is an hour or so of maintenance, and several hours of observation.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Charlottesweb17

Charlottesweb17 Arachnopeon

Canada
    Right now I only have 2 so once a week I feed them and take food not eaten out next day which with my current two is none they eat everything they are garbage disposals.
    My number is going to increase by 9 over the next couple of days depending on when they get here. They will range in size from 11/2" to 1/4" slings so will see how long it takes on my feeding day.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Leila

Leila Arachnobaron Active Member

Tennessee
    9 tarantulas.
    Maintenance is a piece of cake. Maybe 10-20 mins a week. Extra 10-15 mins to tend to their feeders.

I do not consider my observational time maintenance. That, my dear friends, is pure enjoyment. :pompous:

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Charlottesweb17

Canada
    I will have a total of 11 by tomorrow and this is all a learning curve for me too so will see how I do Thursday when it's feeding time.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Marika

Marika Arachnoknight Active Member

Finland
    I only have one tarantula that eats once a week (and doesn't constantly foul his waterdish), so maintenance doesn't take long :p

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Charlottesweb17

Canada
    Make that I have 11 as of today lol

• Like Like x 1
  17. I have 128 tarantulas 8 scorpions 3 snakes a bearded dragon 2 vinagaroons 7 types of roaches I usually do everything in blocks so its not overwhelming its more therapy for me never had so much enjoyment out of a hobby as this one but its about an hour or two a day.

• Like Like x 3