1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long does it take you to do your maintenance with your Tarantulas?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Deb60, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Deb60

Deb60 Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    That's am good way of doing it .

2. boina

boina Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

Germany
    Have you even counted lately???

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Deb60

Deb60 Arachnosquire

I only know how many I have at the mo I went to a Reptile Show three weeks ago , got some more dawrf Ts , and decided to do a count of them all . When they are tiny they are handy to seek in without my husband and son even noticing!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. mconnachan

mconnachan Arachnoprince Active Member

Go on then, how may? I'll bet it's more than you thought....lol

5. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Arachnoprince Active Member

My water dishes aren't disposable, but people use things like condiment cups (for large spiders) bottle caps, and tattoo ink cups (for slings).

6. I have about 22, getting 6 more Tuesday, it takes me about half an hour to an hour here's what I do in no particular order:

- water bowl check

- mist

- feed /remove unwanted food

-observe

-change substrate or mix up current substrate

- check Ts multiple times that are close to molting, in the middle of it, or recently molted

• Like Like x 1
  7. Deb60

Deb60 Arachnosquire

I've counted 23 , that's a lot since last October!

• Like Like x 3
  8. Deb60

Deb60 Arachnosquire

I use bottle caps as well, noticed some people use lego bricks ( good idea if you have kids with lego ) otherwise unless you see some at a carboot sale you've got to buy a whole box

9. mconnachan

mconnachan Arachnoprince Active Member

Yep upturned Lego pieces are a great size for slings - the single piece size, I'm using them for a few of my slings enclosures. The black ones are great as they blend in to the substrate. Upturned monopoly houses are a good idea as well, there are loads of suitably sized vessels for sling enclosures.

• Like Like x 2
  10. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnobaron Active Member

Keeps me happy because I'm doing the odd bits here and there with them, it's very rare that I have days where none of them need feeding, even on a busy day like today where I have to feed nearly 1/3 of my collection it doesn't take that long.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I doubt I spend more than 1 minute per T.
    That said, I have my feeders already sorted in a smaller catch-bin, a smaller feeder catch-vial on the ready -- my bottle of water (and syringe for those whose bowls I can't directly pour water into easily).
    I do like to have a catch-cup, fishnet and tongs 'on the ready.'
    So -- 10 minutes set-up time -- then 1 minute or less per T.

I spend FAR more time afterwards: enjoying the show -- watching the take-downs and them munching away -- doing their little food circle dances. lol

• Like Like x 2
  12. I have about 60 scorpions and it only takes me about 10 minutes to feed them all and about 10 minutes to mist them all with a spray bottle. When it's time to clean out their cages or to tidy up that takes a about 10 minutes each too and I only do a few per day if even that. I sometimes, if they need it, take out their hiding spots (tree bark), smooth out the substrate (scorpions love to dig) and then put the hide back in. Takes about 5 minutes each.

• Like Like x 1
  13. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

What's a scorp's reaction to misting? Ts hate it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. edesign

edesign Stacks o' spiders Old Timer

I currently have 90 tarantulas and a dozen scorpions. I almost always watch each one eat, I hate putting them back on the shelf without observing them eat, so it can take anywhere from a minute to 5-10 minutes per specimen. My versicolors and diversipes used to always want to run out and refuse to go back in to their enclosures so that always added some time and effort :p I would say my average time to do all ~100 is about three to four hours. Sometimes I just do one shelving unit per day. Sometimes I do them all at once. I don't usually use water bowls so that's one less thing I have to do in each tank. Just offer food, observe, spritz some water on the walls/decor, and moisten the sub/moss.

They seem to not prefer it and will try to hide. Mine anyway. I don't mist my pair of S. mesaensis as they are hydrophobic, but the rest (a pair of R. junceus and eight C. gracilis) will go for cover when I start. Unless they're really thirsty then they'll tolerate it and start drinking droplets from the decor/walls/substrate or off their claws.

15. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

Thanks! I know their are some differences between these 2 arachnids, but wasn't sure if this was one of them. Same here on the thirst for Ts.

16. Most of the time scorpions don't like to be misted so I spray the back of the enclosure. Sometimes a scorpion will just sit there and say "aaaahhhhh, that feels good." I have seen every single one of my scorpions drink water :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. edesign

Yeah, I should clarify, I don't mist the scorpions lol, but the walls and everything else are fair game and sometimes there is collateral splashing but they just move out of the way. I try to begin spraying farther away and moving towards them to give them a chance to detect it earlier and vamoose.

18. Agreed. I nearly always get a split-second prey take-down -- so still under a minute each.

But after each T is done, I tend to stick around and check on each one eating -- it brings a weird joy only another T owner could understand.
    And, by sticking around, if one didn't take prey immediately, I can keep an eye out and make sure they find it (or know that I need to remove the prey later).

[I cannot imagine sticking around after filling a bowl and watching my cat eat. lol]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. edesign

Sometimes the prey finds a little crevice and wedges itself in and refuses to move after that. Those are the ones that drive me bonkers and take forever. Or sometimes they ignore prey for a little while and grab it after I've waited a while and put it back on the shelf to check on the next day. In general, most will take prey the first chance they get unless they were jostled very hard on accident. Interesting how it seems to bother some individuals less than others, some will refuse to come out for food for a very long time, others "I'll be right out! Just putting my shoes on!" lol

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. spotropaicsav

spotropaicsav Arachnobaron Active Member

I spend FAR more time afterwards: enjoying the show -- watching the take-downs and them munching away -- doing their little food circle dances. lol

the reward:D

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1