How long does it take you to do your maintenance with your Tarantulas?

Deb60

Arachnosquire
I have twenty three Ts now , it takes me about an hour every Friday or Saturday to give them clean water and to feed them , them the next day I take out any remaining food . How long does it take you to guys to do this ? Plus how many do you have ?

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
116 of mine and over 80 of 3 diff friends. Takes me @ 2 hrs 3-4 days a week to feed, water, and clean. Most of them are slings/juveiniles.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I've got 30 and 2 scorpions atm, they're all on their own feeding schedules so I do feeding/maintenance as and when it's needed, all of the enclosures that aren't bone dry have springtails in them which saves some hassle.

In short, probably 5-10 mins per day.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Have 43 or something like that, plus a dozen scorpions.
Takes me no more than about 30 min every couple of days to feed some of them, and do water maintenance. Big feeding days take about 1.5hours.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
13 Ts, I would guess 60-90 minutes a week depending on how many have dumped substrate in their water dishes, need rehouses, etc. Lots of slings, so a little more maintenance than adults is needed.

Last edited:

jake9134

Arachnosquire
In the prime of my collection days had~20 Ts, and a few hundred scorps (mostly babies in individual 2oz cups) about 6+ hrs a week. Had some hot buthids which meant extra care. Got a dry sting by a 2i LQ baby through a hole in the top of a 2oz cup(did flips and just went kinda crazy) which made me rethink my collection. now got 6 Ts and takes me less than 20min a week.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
24 Ts 1 jumper takes me around 1 hour a week unless there is extra stuff like rehousing.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
27 T,s.I don't clean,feed,water all at the same time during the week.Due to premolts,just molted,or just not hungry.

So,during the week probably 2 to 3 hours.Total time with maintenance.
I tend to extend my T chores over the week.Clean water bowls on Monday,feed that same T on Friday.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I used to feed mine, then I decided to let them feed themselves. I let them out each night, have a wild night on the town.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
How long does it take you to guys to do this ? Plus how many do you have ?
I have seven tarantulas. Once a week, I clean (and refill) the water dishes and remove any obvious boluses. This takes about 15-20 minutes.

My seven true spiders are Kukulcania hibernalis, but they are even less work than tarantulas. I feed them about once a month and mist their webs 1-4 times a month depending on the season.

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
I have twenty three Ts now , it takes me about an hour every Friday or Saturday to give them clean water and to feed them , them the next day I take out any remaining food . How long does it take you to guys to do this ? Plus how many do you have ?
Oooooo good post Ive been wondering this. Some that have a large collection are very fast with maintenance despite many Ts, impressive to me. I can't weigh in to compare to the larger collections, we have just three, maintenance is very quick.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
12 T's and around 10-20 minutes to feed and water, their on their own feeding schedule as they're all different sizes, so fed and watered when required.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Oooooo good post Ive been wondering this. Some that have a large collection are very fast with maintenance despite many Ts, impressive to me.
One time saver for a large collection is to use disposable water dishes.

Deb60

Arachnosquire
I've got 30 and 2 scorpions atm, they're all on their own feeding schedules so I do feeding/maintenance as and when it's needed, all of the enclosures that aren't bone dry have springtails in them which saves some hassle.

In short, probably 5-10 mins per day.
That's a good idea to do it like that .

basin79

ArachnoGod
I don't have many tarantulas/inverts. I carry out any water changes as and when rather on a specific day.

My inverts that have moist substrate have an army of springtails in with them so they do most of the maintenance.

By the far what takes the longest time is using a razor blade to clean the crap off the glass in my arboreals tanks. Messy buggers.

boina

Lady of the mites
129 Ts and I need about 5-6 hours on the weekend (mostly Saturday) to feed and do maintenance. Extra stuff like rehouses gets done in between whenever there's time.