1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long does it take for a ghost mantis to enclose after a molt?

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by Ratmosphere, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Ratmosphere

Ratmosphere Arachnobaron Active Member

Advertisement
    How long does it take for a ghost mantis to enclose its wings? I saw that it molted when I came home at 5:50 PM. The wings still aren't in yet. I haven't misted her today, should I wait until she encloses?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  2. Ratmosphere

4:15 AM and the wings are still not in yet. The outer wings are a tan color still. Getting worried.

3. Ratmosphere

4. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoprince Active Member

She should be hanging differently for the wings to enclose fully. She is still in regular molting position, upside down. For the wings to properly enclose, she needs to be hanging upright. I don't think this is going to end well...but there is nothing you can do. :(

5. Ratmosphere

That's the worst news I got in a while. She's trying so hard to put them in but there is no progress. Really upset over this. What did I do wrong? Every molt was fine until this point. Does it just happen sometimes?

6. basin79

basin79 Arachnoangel Active Member

She'll look rough bit she'll be fine.

7. Andrea82

The ultimate molt is the hardest,
    they have to turn and find grip while being soft. It just happens sometimes. I hope she'll make it and isn't bothered by her wings. She might need you to help catch her food.

Has she moved/turned alteady?

Edit: i'm sorry for not phrasing my earlier post right and giving the impression she is sure to die. That was not what i meant, and gave you quite the shock i imagine...

8. Ratmosphere

She was moving and climbing last night. Today she's focused on trying to put the wings in and isn't doing a lot of moving. Why are the wings a different color than her body?

9. Ratmosphere

There's really nothing I can do for her?

10. basin79

basin79 Arachnoangel Active Member

Not to sort her wings out no. But she'll be perfectly fine with them like that.

11. Andrea82

Wings are used in a threat display to either look bigger or more dangerous. Different colours are more imposing than something that is even and bland of colour. Search Google using 'deimatic display mantis'.
    If she is moving around, that is a good thing :) the wings can't be mended, but she'll be hungry tomorrow. I'd also give her some droplets to drink by spraying some water on the sides or leaves. Careful not to spray her.

12. Ratmosphere

I meant the hood of the wings, usually it wood be green like the rest of her body. Instead, it is a brownish color.

13. Ratmosphere

14. Ratmosphere

She is having a really hard time moving around and is refusing food. Even when I tried to rub the guts of prey on her raptors and mouth, she just moves back and looks more uncomfortable.