How long does it take a tarantula to eat? Cuz like mines just guarding the thing.

Melviora

Arachnopeon
So basically i fed my Tarantula a week ago a meal worm, and i've somehow smashed the head slightly so it was still alive but couldn't burrow and the thing is still alive curling and flexing, my tarantula has been looming over the thing for a while now and i woke this morning in it's small hole i made in the substrate with thin web, he's just chilling with the slightly dead thing for weeks and i can't retrieve the worm because he becomes territorial.

Other times i see him bring him out and drag him along the enclosure before going back into it's pit. Is this normal behavior?

Also i want to rid the worm but he's guarding it, tips?

Leila

Arachnobaron
Can you please post some photos of the tarantula, the mealworm, and a full view of the tarantula's enclosure?

Leila

Arachnobaron
How big is the tarantula?
What species is it?
Can you post a clearer photo of its entire enclosure? Maybe one view from the top and another from the side? :)

Also, if the T has not consumed the prey yet, I'd just go ahead and pull it out with tongs. I'd not want the worm to sit there and harbor unnecessary mold and such.

Melviora

Arachnopeon
Vagan, around an inch leg wise.
IT's just aggressive when something touching it, I'm worried if i use tongs it's small fangs will break, and i don't want that on my shoulders.

Leila

Arachnobaron
Take a deep breath and remove the worm.

In your original post, you said you put the worm in a week ago; you then said the worm has been in there 'for weeks.'
Either way, if a tarantula has not consumed prey typically within 24 hours, it is advised to remove the uneaten items.

Melviora

Arachnopeon
Take a deep breath and remove the worm.

In your original post, you said you put the worm in a week ago; you then said the worm has been in there 'for weeks.'
Either way, if a tarantula has not consumed prey typically within 24 hours, it is advised to remove the uneaten items.
I use an exageration there, but yes it's been there for a week.

boina

Lady of the mites
Your B. vagans looks a bit on the skinny side, so it definitely should be eating something. Have you tried other feeders, like maybe a small live cricket, to tempt it more? Also, it looks a bit wet in there, but looks can be deceiving and I could be dead wrong. The substrate should be damp, but not wet.

Melviora

Arachnopeon
Your B. vagans looks a bit on the skinny side, so it definitely should be eating something. Have you tried other feeders, like maybe a small live cricket, to tempt it more? Also, it looks a bit wet in there, but looks can be deceiving and I could be dead wrong. The substrate should be damp, but not wet.
the sub aint wet, its damp per se. yes i tried the cricket, and ate it, its just guarding this worm for some reason. strange, is this normal?
yes he looks really skinny, which worries me. but he did eat a cricket.

Charlie69

Arachnosquire
So basically i fed my Tarantula a week ago a meal worm, and i've somehow smashed the head slightly so it was still alive but couldn't burrow and the thing is still alive curling and flexing, my tarantula has been looming over the thing for a while now and i woke this morning in it's small hole i made in the substrate with thin web, he's just chilling with the slightly dead thing for weeks and i can't retrieve the worm because he becomes territorial.

Other times i see him bring him out and drag him along the enclosure before going back into it's pit. Is this normal behavior?

Also i want to rid the worm but he's guarding it, tips?
Try distracting the t, with a cricket. When he takes that its easier to get the mealworm.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
Try distracting the t, with a cricket. When he takes that its easier to get the mealworm.
if this doesn't work, i suggest going to walmart/wlgreens/ micheals, and buying a Cheap but new "firm" paintbrush with long bristles for ~1$. use that to move the worm away, that way if the T does try to bite it, its just a soft bristle and not hard metal/wood.

once its far enough away, use the tongs to then actually take it out. this usually works well for em with my more defensive T's when i need to retrieve something.

Melviora

Arachnopeon
if this doesn't work, i suggest going to walmart/wlgreens/ micheals, and buying a Cheap but new "firm" paintbrush with long bristles for ~1$. use that to move the worm away, that way if the T does try to bite it, its just a soft bristle and not hard metal/wood.

once its far enough away, use the tongs to then actually take it out. this usually works well for em with my more defensive T's when i need to retrieve something.
strange, i tried doing dat but upon putting in the crick, it came becak to the worm and started eating it and started eating the crick. Is this typcal T behavior?

Edit: he drowned the worm, now it's officiall dead. Is this like normal?

Haemus

Arachnosquire
I like using bamboo sticks, plastic straws, and water droplets to distract and test my Ts when doing this type of maintenance. If it's aggressive, toss a few water droplets away from the mealie. Generally the T will investigate. I'd take that feeder out though, a week is a long time for leftovers lol

If it doesn't budge, I use the stick/straw to coax the mealie away from the T instead. Eventually you'll get amused by the occasional slap on the straw :)