How long does it take a Hissing Cockroach to give birth?

BugBoy225

Arachnopeon
Hi all. I’m new to this forum, and new to “bug keeping/appreciation” in general. But I got male and female Madagascar Hissing cockroaches a few months ago. And yes, I named them Peanut Butter & Jelly. Anyway, they’ve been a lot of fun to watch. Aside from cleaning, and feeding, I don’t really mess with them, I just watch them.
Anyway, last night, I looked and saw that (what I really thought was the male of the two) appeared to have babies beginning to emerge from its rear. So here I am, all excited. Getting the camera set up. I’m thinking “I’m going to have a cool video to put on YouTube!” But... nope. What I have is a several hour video of a roach that has what looks like the beginning of a set of babies emerging, with nothing else. I assumed this would be a few minute process. But I ended up having to leave for work this morning, with my roach seemingly asleep, with about a 1/4 inch of white wiggly, baby roach looking thing hanging from it’s rear.
So, for those of you who have chosen to continue reading my rambling, I suppose my question is... Is this normal? Does the hissing Cockroach labor process take much longer than I had been under the impression it should? Or is there something possibility wrong going on?

Well, thanks in advance for any and all input. Hope you all have a great day!

cold blood

Staff member
Hmmmm....first, are both roaches mature?

Second, roaches dont give live birth unless hissers are differrent in that respect....they drop an ooth, which is cylindrical, this is what babies hatch from.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Second, roaches dont give live birth unless hissers are differrent in that respect.
Dubia will lay an ooth then reabsorb it and incubate it within themselves until the nymphs hatch, which gives the illusion of a live birth. Not sure if hissers do the same thing though.

BugBoy225

Arachnopeon
Hissers hold the egg sac inside their abdomen until they hatch. Once they hatch, they emerge outside the egg, giving the appearance of love birth. Yes, different than dubia roaches.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Welcome to the forum! Photos would help if you have them. They usually give birth pretty quickly once the process starts, but they can hold eggs inside of them for months or years if the conditions aren't good for giving birth.

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
Hissers hold the egg sac inside their abdomen until they hatch. Once they hatch, they emerge outside the egg, giving the appearance of love birth. Yes, different than dubia roaches.
Dubias and hissers both do this.

Both species also spend some time "airing out" the ooth before pulling it back in and eventually giving birth, which is what's going on here.

BugBoy225

Arachnopeon
Hey thanks for the info. I do appreciate it. Sorry I don’t have pictures. As a “noob”, I’m not completely sure I know how to post pictures. Plus, I was so excited about getting a birth on video, I didn’t actually think to capture any pictures. (Although I’m guessing that’s probably possible to make happen from the video)

BugBoy225

Arachnopeon
Oh yeah, I meant “live birth” earlier, not “love birth”. Thanks for you all’s patience.

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
Welcome to Arachnoboards :)!

As a “noob”, I’m not completely sure I know how to post pictures.
Next to "Post Reply", you can click "Upload a File". From there you can browse and choose your photo.
upload_file.JPG

Another option is to post it to the gallery and then at the top of the text area where we type comments, you can choose the camera and then click on the pic from the gallery that you want to post.
comment_box_ribbon.JPG

-> camera.JPG

Plus, I was so excited about getting a birth on video, I didn’t actually think to capture any pictures.
You can also embed YouTube videos on here. To do that, just go to the top of the text area where we type our comments and choose the Media button.
comment_box_ribbon.JPG

-> media.JPG

Then paste the URL of the video into the textbox that comes up.
paste_url_for_media.JPG

Oh yeah, I meant “live birth” earlier, not “love birth”. Thanks for you all’s patience.
To edit a post, just click Edit below you post.
edit_post.JPG

Good luck with your roaches :D!

Last edited: