How long do you wait to feed again?

Taysha

Arachnosquire
Hey guys quick question, mainly opinion. My MF P. Fasciata just molted for the first time in my care, I've had her about a year now and she's never been an aggressive feeder, she won't even eat Dubia only crickets. She's looking a little under weight after her molt, not deathly skinny but she's normally a heavy weight. How long should I wait to feed? After my MF g. rosea molted this last time I offered her a dubia after just two days and she snatched it right up. Im more hesitant about offing my fasciata food though, my Rosie will destroy anything Igive her infront of anyone, my pokey is so shy I couldn't monitor the situation. what's yalls opinion on how long I should wait? How long do y'all wait?

pa3k_87

Arachnosquire
You should wait about 2 weeks. They might be hungry, but their fangs aren't hard yet. You'll just risk injuring your T.

sugarsandz

Arachnosquire
I waited 11 days for my emilia sling but when my adults finally get around to molting I'll wait the full two weeks. It must be nice having a rosea with a great appetite all the time, mine has been eating good lately but that will pass lol. As far as it having a small abdomen, I think that's pretty common among freshly molted tarantulas. I wouldn't worry about the size unless it's sunken in looking. Congrats on a good molt!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
The warmer you keep your spiders, the faster they harden off and can resume eating again. Look at their fangs: if they're white or red, they're still soft. When they turn all black, the spider will be ready to eat with a passion. Feed it frequently then, 3 or 4 times a week, even a couple times a day, until it puts on some weight and gets out of the vulnerable stage. Make sure it has water after shedding, as they've lost a large part of their fluids and food reserves. My juvenile Poecs come out of sheds with significant growth in legspan and tiny abdomens. I don't rest easy until they start to fatten up.

cmcghee358

Arachnoknight
The warmer you keep your spiders, the faster they harden off and can resume eating again. Look at their fangs: if they're white or red, they're still soft. When they turn all black, the spider will be ready to eat with a passion. Feed it frequently then, 3 or 4 times a week, even a couple times a day, until it puts on some weight and gets out of the vulnerable stage. Make sure it has water after shedding, as they've lost a large part of their fluids and food reserves. My juvenile Poecs come out of sheds with significant growth in legspan and tiny abdomens. I don't rest easy until they start to fatten up.
I think it's recommended to still wait 2 weeks for an adult. Even though fangs can appear black they may not be fully hardened through.

As for the amount you're recommending to feed to get out of the "vulnerable stage" I disagree. Continue feeding a normal amount after the post-molt fast has ended. Obviously always keep a full and fresh water dish. Water is what your spider will need more than anything else.

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
I think it's recommended to still wait 2 weeks for an adult. Even though fangs can appear black they may not be fully hardened through.

As for the amount you're recommending to feed to get out of the "vulnerable stage" I disagree. Continue feeding a normal amount after the post-molt fast has ended. Obviously always keep a full and fresh water dish. Water is what your spider will need more than anything else.
i agree, it's more important to give your T good amount of fresh water, as they tend to drink alot after shedding. since tarantulas fangs take some time to harden up, i'd wait at least 2 weeks for an specimen that is larger than 4"

Poec54

Arachnoemperor

I've never had a T eat before it's fangs were ready for it, that may be less than 2 weeks, or it may be 3 weeks. Thru evolution they know the risk involved and won't damage the tools they need to survive. Crickets are soft and easily punctured, no bones to hit.

Judging by the fanatical way they go after food post-shedding, they definitely are driven to regain their weight ASAP. That's when they race after prey and will take on things larger than they normally would. Obviously it's a top priority for them. They are starving; survival means getting out of the vulnerable stage. Water is crucial as they've lost a lot, but there's no nutrition in that. Their energy reserves are depleted too. Food is also crucial to regain strength. To continue a weekly/bi-weekly feeding schedule post-molt is for the keeper's convenience, not the spider's benefit.

friendttyy

Arachnolord
I usually wait 2 to 3 weeks before feeding my Ts after a molt and feed them soft bodied invertebraets (eg.cricket) and hard bodied after 3 feedings or when fangs are dark.

Nada

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I agree with a minimum of two weeks. However, if your worried about feeding to soon, Don't. As long as your feeding Roaches(and not Crickets) there's really no harm, to your T.

satch

Arachnoknight
Depending on size in my opinion!
If its a huge specie and is like say 4 inch + then wait 2 weeks
But slings to 3-4inch im usually about 7 days or so