How long do Male Aphonopelma Chalcodes Live?

Elez

Arachnopeon
I currently own an Aphonopelma Chalcodes (Arizona/Desert blonde) that recently molted July 28th. I quickly discovered that my unsexed T is a mature male but I don't know how much longer he will live. When I look at the Wikipedia page for this species it says males only live 2-3 months after they mature. I was wondering if this is in fact true because he is my first T and I'm not ready to lose him so soon. Anyone else have experience with Arizona Blondes or know how much time he has left?

cold blood

Staff member
There are variables...such as larger MMs tend to live longer....but it should live anywhere from 5 months to over 2 years.

Just keep it hydrated...feed every 2-4 weeks....2 weeks after molting and about once a month after it starts refusing food in a few months.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I sympathize with your attachment to him... my first sling grew into a mature male in far too short a time frame!

Have you considered offering him on a breeding loan or sale? It is hard to let them go, but contributing to the captive bred spiders in the hobby is a wonderful thing to do.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I have a Grammostola pulchripes male who has been mature for two years next month. He is still going strong - eating well and is very active! Aphonopelma chalcodes are a slow growing and long lived species and you could have him for some time yet. Keep him well hydrated - I have two water dishes in with all my mature males.

Elez

Arachnopeon
There are variables...such as larger MMs tend to live longer....but it should live anywhere from 5 months to over 2 years.

Just keep it hydrated...feed every 2-4 weeks....2 weeks after molting and about once a month after it starts refusing food in a few months.
Thank you that's what I'm expecting/hoping for, and don't worry I already follow that exact feeding schedule!

Garbage in, garbage out. What you read is false.

Only come here for T info, not some "informational" web site.
Yep, that's what I figured, so that's why I made an arachnoboards account!

Last edited by a moderator:

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It really varies and depends on how often he is fed, temperatures etc. I had a P. irminia that ended up being MM and he lived for over 2 years mature. You may still have more time with him than you think, but you should prepare yourself for the possibility that you may not have much time, there’s no way to be certain. The feeding schedules mentioned above are a good start

It really sucks when a special T you’ve raised ends up being male but, if it’s any consolation, I’m sure he’s had a happy life with you =)

Amy Boulton

Arachnopeon
My aphonopelma Aberans has been mature for 3.5yrs I know its not a chalcodes. It stopped eating for months but took 2 wax worms today