How long can a p.irminia be in premolt? And how long can my OBT go without eating?

HybridOne890

Arachnopeon
Hello all,

Here I am yet again with more questions. Firstly, my p. Irminia has "sealed off" her hide from both sides and it has been this way for I want to say 3 weeks now, therefore I haven't fed it since I do not want to rip open the "seal". I assumed this might be her way of telling me she is in premolt and to stop feeding her as she's prepping. My question, however, is how long can they remain sealed off before they molt? Did she perhaps erroneously seal herself and is in fact very hungry? Should I try and put a roach in there or would this be invasive?

My OBT has done nothing but sit in her corner, I tried putting a roach to her hide the other day and she did nothing but be angry and give me a threat posture. In fact, I checked today and she sealed webbed up the place that I put the roach in. Yes I removed the roach as she was a female that looked pregnant as all hell and I didn't want any more babies, not to mention I was attempting a tong feed since I don't want a chance of the roach burrowing away. She hasn't eating in close to a month now tho... She never goes for the roach even when prekilled. Is this normal? Or should I be worried/try a different feeder?

Here's the best pic I could get of her "seal" 20160623_154535.jpg

HybridOne890

Arachnopeon
The seal is in between the two logs, right between the fake leaves, in front of the sphagnum

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
If they sealed themselves off I would leave them alone provided they were healthy weights.

cold blood

Staff member
"how long can they remain sealed off..."

As long as they want to....sounds flippant, but trust me, its not. Some spend a few days, some weeks, some a lot longer...Prior to last molt my irminia was sealed in for over 7 months.

"did she perhaps erroneously seal herself and is in fact very hungry"

Absolutely, positively not.

"Should I try to put a roach in there..."

No, wait till the t emerges....its a test in patience, if you fail, you should probably not own ts;) I'm confident you can get past this test:)

As for the OBT...

1. Don't tong feed it, ever, for any seemingly logical reason. The list of reasons is long, from the t can break a fang easily, to the t can be up your tongs considerably faster than you will be able to react.

2. Just feed pre-killed prey, it makes for catching uneaten prey a lot less time consuming and disruptive... both bad things when dealing with an OBT.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Yeah I have two little slings that are giving me the Test of Patience right now. Both my P. irminia and H. pulchripes sealed themselves in about 2 1/2 weeks ago at almost the same time...synchronized molting? OR ARE THEY PLANNING SOMETHING? I must remain vigilant.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
P.murinus are IMO voracious eaters, not choosy at all. If they don't, pre-molt/molt. And, during that time, in general they are less badass, i've noticed.

I always suggest live preys, no matter if a first instar. That's what i do without issues.

Mauri

Arachnoknight
Well my P.Irminia stopped eating and disappeared 2 weeks ago (perhaps a bit less) and start of this week has sealed herself in. Quite a feat how she managed to throw up substrate like she did.

So three weeks just about since I fed her. Thank god was able to get the last cricket out safely a few weeks back. She was a healthy size last I saw.

Am going to leave well alone till she appears. I hope. (have made sure to dampen the subs a bit...well have a plant in there I water every so often).

Sana

Arachnoprince
Test of Patience:

G. porteri seals burrow (yeah I know porteri burrows?). Once a week significant other demands that you dig up the probably dead spider. Once a week you remind significant other that it's a spider doing spider things. Three months almost to the day later, porteri emerges. Didn't molt or do anything at all in that three months. Sigh. Test passed.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
We don't know when tarantulas start their premolt process, we sometimes see the external manifestations, but that's late in the process. Beginners get themselves worked up over premolt & molting, demanding quick results like they're got a plane to catch. That's not how spiders work; they've been doing this for millions of years. Relax and trust the spider's judgment.

Mauri

Arachnoknight
We don't know when tarantulas start their premolt process, we sometimes see the external manifestations, but that's late in the process. Beginners get themselves worked up over premolt & molting, demanding quick results like they're got a plane to catch. That's not how spiders work; they've been doing this for millions of years. Relax and trust the spider's judgment.
Understandable it's called learning. But I just stumbled on a friends write up of moulting and T's that seal themsleves in and was a damm good read.

This might interest the OP.

https://tomsbigspiders.wordpress.com/2014/08/11/tarantula-premolt/

P.S OP just fed mine so dont think it was a moult, havent actually seen her so cant tell. Her feet were peaking out from over her silk wall so thought try a feed. Was so quick I failed to get it on video. Bugger.

But very happy to have done a tong feed on P.Irminia (well one where I feel like its under control, before I dropped the first one and another time she grabbed the tongs, and last time she gave me a threat posture). Just need to work on catching the cricket and keeping a steady hand.

Awesome T's though OP, good luck with yours.

Last edited:

Oroborus

Arachnosquire
My P irminia holed up for six months with absolutely no sign of her. It got to the point that I was tempted to open her hide and confirm she was still alive. The very next morning she left a perfect molt in front of her enclosure door for her slave to dispose of. Be patient, she's fine. Can't really comment on the OBT because I rarely see mine. Occasionally I see legs or an opisthoma but she retreats at any sign of light. I figure she eats because the crickets disappear by morning but I've never actually witnessed it. Oh well, as long as they are happy. Cheers.

Mauri

Arachnoknight
My P irminia holed up for six months with absolutely no sign of her. It got to the point that I was tempted to open her hide and confirm she was still alive. The very next morning she left a perfect molt in front of her enclosure door for her slave to dispose of. Be patient, she's fine. Can't really comment on the OBT because I rarely see mine. Occasionally I see legs or an opisthoma but she retreats at any sign of light. I figure she eats because the crickets disappear by morning but I've never actually witnessed it. Oh well, as long as they are happy. Cheers.
Wow will remember that just in case! That would send me up the wall almost!!! 6 months....phew.

One thing I have learnt is choosing a hide that not only makes the T feel at home but also enable you to look in from time to time is worth taking due care over. (can actually just about shine a light into mine and see some legs).

p.s cant answer re the OBT either. Had mine for a few weeks and has taken three crickets now no probs. Seems like a good eater.

Just leave pre-killed. N remove after a few hours or so.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Test of Patience:

G. porteri seals burrow (yeah I know porteri burrows?). Once a week significant other demands that you dig up the probably dead spider. Once a week you remind significant other that it's a spider doing spider things. Three months almost to the day later, porteri emerges. Didn't molt or do anything at all in that three months. Sigh. Test passed.
...trade impatient significant other for more spiders. S.O. needs to bond with a RAT fancier. With rats, it all happens at THEIR metabolic rate, i.e. lightening fast! One human week is a whole year to a rat! :wacky:

Dovey

Arachnobaron
I think about that when all of my spiders are in pre-molt at the same time and ignoring me and all interaction/observation/offers of husbandry with their cold-blooded little invertibrate stares...thank God for my ratties! They're ALWAYS glad to eat/play/love.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I think about that when all of my spiders are in pre-molt at the same time and ignoring me and all interaction/observation/offers of husbandry with their cold-blooded little invertibrate stares...
That just means you don't own enough Ts. If you did then would not all be in premolt at the same time. :p

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
My OBT just went and molted. She locked herself up for about 2 months and then undid her seal to eat. She ate a meal worm and the next day closed both sides of her burrow again. My best advice is to trust the spider. Most spiders will NEVER starve, they can go without any food for months! She will probably open it up to eat again, and yours will do the same when she is hungry :D Just try not to worry as much.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
That just means you don't own enough Ts. If you did then would not all be in premolt at the same time. :p
True! Of 6, 5 are all denned up and refusing food. It's like a sorority house around here, with everybody's cycles lining up! :bag:

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
P.murinus are IMO voracious eaters, not choosy at all. If they don't, pre-molt/molt. And, during that time, in general they are less badass, i've noticed.

I always suggest live preys, no matter if a first instar. That's what i do without issues.

I had exactly the opposite experience, both of my obts would eat MAYBE once a month regardless of their molt cycle. And my one went for an incredibly long 6.5 month fast with no molt

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I had exactly the opposite experience, both of my obts would eat MAYBE once a month regardless of their molt cycle. And my one went for an incredibly long 6.5 month fast with no molt
My post, and yours, basically, in a nutshell, depicts the Arachnid passion pretty well: same Theraphosidae, different experience, behavior etc :-s

Nothing here is written, no one is the ultimate keeper or expert, and we, all of us, learn something day by day; this is the biggest lesson ever, made by nature.