How fat should a selenotypus sling be?

MossMan

Arachnopeon
So I went to a pet store (these guys actually knew their stuff, this isn't a petco or petsmart) and they had a few tarantulas. There were 2 Phlogius crassipes and 4 Selenotypus sp. one of these selenotypus looked really fat, almost obese. It didn't look like it was in premoult and the abdomen was about twice the size of the carapace. Should slings be so fat? I know that these are absolute monsters when it comes to eating, but I've never seen something so big for it's legspan

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
That's a healthy size. This is captivity. I've had slings with abdomens almost 4 times the size of the carapace.

That is unnecessaryly large however, once about 3 tikes the carapace, I stop and wait for a molt. Even sooner would be fine.

cold blood

Staff member
Slings, regardless of species, cannot get too fat....getting fat is part of the growth stradegy of all slings.....a fat sling is a healthy sling.

MossMan

Arachnopeon
Slings, regardless of species, cannot get too fat....getting fat is part of the growth stradegy of all slings.....a fat sling is a healthy sling.
So slings can get as fat as possible and they'll just turn it into growth but adults would be considered obese?

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Sounds like my Acanthoscurria geniculata sling. I could give her the tiniest cricket i can find and shed still end up looking like a swollen dog-tick. I think its adorable. She should be molting soon, actually....