How fast/slow do Emps grow?

EightLeggedFrea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have two Emps in separate cages, an adult female and a juvenile/sub male (possibly). I have had the juvie/sub for nearly a year now and not once has he molted. He's about 5" and his telson is a dark yellow, indicating he's still not yet fully grown. Any idea when I can expect a molt?

bjaeger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've had my one emp for almost that long. She's about the same size you mentioned and still hasn't molted yet. I'm also curious about this as well :)

Malcara

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've had emperors that still had one or 2 moults left and their tails were never yellow. I've never bought an emperor smaller than 4.5" though. However mine were really slow to moult. I've also never had successful mating as tank mates always interupt the 2 love birds lol.

Rosenkreuz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My emperor's last molt took over 9 months. And I'm pretty sure she's got atleast one more to go, too. So, don't be surprised if it takes a loooong time.

mkieff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I had an emp give birth mid March 08. I have only three of the 18 babies that have molted to i3. The rest are still taking their own time. All of them eat regularly, and I keep the humidity and temp up. So I guess they just are slow growers, which does not suprise me given their gestation periods.

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
1st of April 2008 here, and at least 2 are now i3 (they are still with mom in the burrow, but recently I noticed 2 exuviae outside of the burrow; mom likes to keep it clean).

talljosh003

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i have had this one baby for about a year and a half and it has only molted 3 times...well 4 if you count the one on mothers back

LadyRiotControl

Arachnopeon
i had emps from 2i. originally had 6 and only 3 made it to full adulthood. 2 died in their 3rd slough and one died 2 years later from a cricket attack after slough (i thought i'd got them all out but obviously not!!!)

after 4 years of having the final 3 they eventually sloughed for the last time into being fully grown adults. pure white telsons they looked awesome, especially when you have had them from being so young. its a proud moment to see your scorpion reach full maturity.

The first 4 sloughs are usually within 48mths and the final 3 take a lot longer. Once they reach their final instar they only have a year or two left in them. average lifespan 5-6 years although there have been reports of 7+ years. but i have kept emps twice and never got over 5 years.

Athlon2k2

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I didn't it took 8 months just for the last molt. Not from birth to adult.

kbekker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Your probably aware but temperature has a dramatic affect on growth rate in ectotherms. You can't expect similar growth rates to those mentioned without similar temperatures.

kbekker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Doubt it, do you have a reference?

High temps and faster growth could make a nutrient poor poor diet more obvious (maybe appearing stunted). If they are eating and there nutrient requirements are being met, why would retarding growth be a by product of this.

talljosh003

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
idk, i actually heard it on here in a post a few years ago now that i think about it...

robbi

Arachnopeon
My emperor scorpion is about 8-10 months old, could someone please tell me what instar she is? I'm very worried about my precious Lucy... And is this true what the pet owner said that she is about 8 months old? (I got her this June, and now it's October)

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My emperor scorpion is about 8-10 months old, could someone please tell me what instar she is? I'm very worried about my precious Lucy... And is this true what the pet owner said that she is about 8 months old? (I got her this June, and now it's October)
There is no way any of us could do anything but guess at your emp's age or instar. A picture would help a little bit, but not much. It all depends on what temperatures the scorp has been kept at and how much it's been fed. Higher temps will speed up their rate of growth.

Why on earth are you worried about it? You didn't make that clear at all.

robbi

Arachnopeon
I'm worried about her because I think she is ill, or molting, or something, and here is a picture for all of you:
And could anyone tell me when to be expecting a molt?

Attachments

Last edited:

Stewjoe

Arachnosquire
I'm worried about her because I think she is ill, or molting, or something, and here is a picture for all of you:
And could anyone tell me when to be expecting a molt?
That looks like a very thin adult IMO, pet stores=fail