How does this look for GBB sling

Ziursirhc

Arachnopeon
I'm getting my first T tomorrow. It's a Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens about 3/4 of an inch how does the enclosure look? I got the bottom level of substrate damp and left the top alone mostly and just lightly misted it and I'll fill the water bowl after I rehouse the T.

Attachments

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Looks too wet for me, GBB slings can have some moisture (but prefer dry substrate as they get older), but yours is a little too much for my preference, so you should let it dry out a bit. Also I would add some ventilation on the sides because I can't see much ventilation at all and to top it off, just pat down the substrate a bit because the substrate looks a little loose. After that, it should be ready for a GBB sling. ;)

Ziursirhc

Arachnopeon
I do have these ventilation holes all the way around the enclosure is that good enough (I don't think the original picture showed it very well) the sling won't be in for about 18 hours I'll leave it open and let it dry up a bit. IMG_20190607_160719221.jpg

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I do have these ventilation holes all the way around the enclosure is that good enough (I don't think the original picture showed it very well) the sling won't be in for about 18 hours I'll leave it open and let it dry up a bit. View attachment 310950
The ventilation looks great, now just let it dry a bit. GBB slings can appreciate a bit moisture in the sub to drink from, but since you have a water dish, I honestly don't see a reason for keeping the substrate wet/moist. If the GBB needs to drink it has the water dish to drink from, so the moist substrate is a bit of an overkill, not to mention they originate from dry scrub lands meaning the enclosure is better off dry. I honestly would dry out the substrate and leave the water dish in the enclosure for moisture, since a water dish plenty enough for a GBB sling to drink and get moisture from.

Ziursirhc

Arachnopeon
Awesome thank you! Now I also have an A. Geniculata coming as well (also sling) and this is what I have set up for it. (I don't know if it's better to continue this here or make a new thread but I figured less clutter if I do it here) IMG_20190607_161816301.jpg

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Awesome thank you! Now I also have an A. Geniculata coming as well (also sling) and this is what I have set up for it. (I don't know if it's better to continue this here or make a new thread but I figured less clutter if I do it here) View attachment 310952
How big is the sling? A. genics can deal with a bit moisture and appreciates a bit of it, so it'll do fine in that enclosure. My best advice is to calm down on the moisture and you'll be fine. If your enclosure has a source of water then it should be okay. The only time you really need to be concern on the substrate being moist is when you are keeping a species that needs moisture and/or is moisture dependent to thrive.

Ziursirhc

Arachnopeon
The A. Geniculata is only 1/3 of an inch (I know this enclosure is a bit big for that size though)

Liquifin

Arachnoking
The A. Geniculata is only 1/3 of an inch (I know this enclosure is a bit big for that size though)
A little big, but A. geniculata grow very fast, so it'll grow into the enclosure. All my A. geniculata's grow fast, so I wouldn't worry too much as long as you'll be able to locate it within the enclosure. If it's too big, then just house it in a 2oz sauce cup, because those works great with small slings.

Ziursirhc

Arachnopeon
Awesome thank you so much for all the advice! These are going to be my first ever T's and I'm extremely nervous and excited.

aphono

Arachnobaron
Yep, too wet for the GBB. I always gave mine dry sub with water dish, even for tiny slings. Occasionally overflow the water dish to create a little bit of moist area around it. Let dry between overflowings. They always did great with that.

Substrate is completely wasted on GBB as they don't dig. Number two reason- they often like to 'web high'. So having them too close to the lid often causes the issue of webbing up to lid. As they are a skittish species, the web tears during lid opening really sets them off. So having more height can help reduce this issue. I'd reduce the substrate by at least half- if you have dry substrate on hand, I'd remove all of it from the tub and put the dry substrate in. Plus add large cork bark bits, fake plants with either broad leaves or basically those umbrella shaped fake succulents- mine especially loved heavily webbing over the cork lumps and this kind of succulent. They also spent a lot of time sitting on top of them- almost as if the substrate was lava. (they started to spend more time on the substrate level after it was heavily webbed over) Either put in a leaning piece of bark in a corner or arrange large lumps of bark/something solid by a corner- mine almost invariably started a den in there then 'spread out' from it.

Size is okay as they usually web extensively and have a rather fast growth rate so it'll grow into that enclosure before very long.

The genic, that measurement seems awfully small. It would be far better to start it in condiment or small deli cups with thumb tack holes. Hard for me to judge from the pictures, it may be able to squeeze out of those holes on the tub. Even if it can't squeeze out, there's a chance it may make a burrow and seal it off. That happens with some slings if they feel 'exposed' in a huge, deep substrate enclosure and that can greatly slow their rate of growth. So if you wish for it to be a fast growing pig, condiment cup or deli cup is the way to start it. edit to add: often the local deli or restaurants are willing to let you have the cups for free if you ask.

Last edited:

Ziursirhc

Arachnopeon
IMG_20190607_195532018.jpg IMG_20190607_205158558.jpg The holes I used for ventilation are from a thumbtack (heated up thumbtack to poke through the container) for the gbb enclosure I lowered the substrate added in about piece of cork bark. I don't have any fake foliage currently though. I don't have any other container at the moment for the Genic.
Edit: I just went and picked up some deli cups does it look like enough ventilation?

Last edited:

aphono

Arachnobaron
Thumb tack holes is good. Aside- if you get a condiment/deli cup for the genic, just push it in. No need to heat first. If you have more cork pieces I would prop one up in a corner- with space between it and the plastic side, in case it wanted to make a den(would be great for it to run back to when spooked). Add another one and lay it down flat like that one somewhere else in the enclosure. It seemed the ones I had loved webbing and sitting over them more than anything else. Fake foliage tbh is not absolutely necessary even if it's a highly popular feature. Again tbh, they are very adaptable creatures so it will be fine in the enclosure as is, aside from the substrate being too moist. Propping up the cork to create a den is more for easier management for a beginner because it will be inclined to run in there instead of panicking and possibly running straight out by accident.

If it's clinging to the walls or the lid, that's a sign of too moist substrate. Let it dry out completely if not switching out the substrate.

What's the brown plastic looking thing? And good luck with the new pets. :)

kcuB yrogerG

Arachnopeon
Leave the substrate slightly damp, not wet. Q nice misting should do. Be sure that the ventilation holes are smaller than the T's abdomen, I learned that the hard way. How big is the GBB sling? They do like to web so I'd toss in a few anchor points aside from moss.

Ziursirhc

Arachnopeon
Leave the substrate slightly damp, not wet. Q nice misting should do. Be sure that the ventilation holes are smaller than the T's abdomen, I learned that the hard way. How big is the GBB sling? They do like to web so I'd toss in a few anchor points aside from moss.
The GBB is advertised as 3/4 - 1 inch the A. Geniculata is advertised at 1/3 inch I added some more cork bark to the GBB enclosure for anchor points and removed substrate to allow more room for webbing. The ventilation was done with a thumbtack (heated and pushed through the container) so it is definitely small enough that it can not fit through and I put in plenty to have plenty of cross-ventilation.
The Geniculata I'm going to house in a 2 oz deli cup with sub and a water bottle top water dish. Vent holes were done with a thumbtack just stabbed through the lid. Both I posted pictures of in my last reply.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
GBB enclosure looks good. I kept mine mostly dry when she was very small, just a water dish and an occasional overflow of the dish is enough. And I always lean a piece of cork bark against the wall, so the T has an opportunity to hide and start its den from there. Maybe one or two more anchor points would be nice as well. ;)

For the A. geniculata I'd add some kind of hide like a fake leaf and make a little starter burrow under it. Also, I'd try to find a smaller water dish, not because it might drown (it can't!), but because if it's very small it might not be able to reach the water. Something like a Monopoly house upside down pushed into the substrate works great. The water dish needs to be flush with the ground in order for the sling to reach it.

Ziursirhc

Arachnopeon
GBB enclosure looks good. I kept mine mostly dry when she was very small, just a water dish and an occasional overflow of the dish is enough. And I always lean a piece of cork bark against the wall, so the T has an opportunity to hide and start its den from there. Maybe one or two more anchor points would be nice as well. ;)

For the A. geniculata I'd add some kind of hide like a fake leaf and make a little starter burrow under it. Also, I'd try to find a smaller water dish, not because it might drown (it can't!), but because if it's very small it might not be able to reach the water. Something like a Monopoly house upside down pushed into the substrate works great. The water dish needs to be flush with the ground in order for the sling to reach it.
I also put in a small piece of cork bark to make it a started hide as well.

Ziursirhc

Arachnopeon
IMG_20190608_121226637.jpg
Ah yes, a small cork bark slab or anything else they can dig out a little bit for a hide. Good call.
That was immediately where she went. She's hiding out I dropped off a cricket leg for her to grab whenever she wants too (I'll take it out tomorrow if she doesn't want it yet)