1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does this even happen

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Bryce Atwood, May 15, 2019.

1. Bryce Atwood

Bryce Atwood Arachnopeon

2. The Seraph

The Seraph Arachnobaron Active Member

USA
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. l4nsky

l4nsky Arachnoknight

STL
    It's made of bamboo.... On a long enough time scale, this will happen to every pair.

4. Paul1126

Paul1126 Arachnodemon Active Member

You can now use them as chopsticks. Enjoy some Japanese food with them.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gnarled Gnome

Gnarled Gnome Arachnosquire Active Member

US
    They call them super worms for a reason...:p
    Honestly you could have my pair but I'm in PA. My critters won't take food from them.
    But seriously, how did that happen?

6. Turtle

Turtle Arachnosquire Active Member

You can pretty much fix anything with these three items:
    zip ties
    spray adhesive
    duct tape
    If you put these in your bug out bag, you will survive the zombie apocalypse for sure :)

Honestly though, wood glue, a clamp and a 24 hr wait would be the proper fix

• Love Love x 1
  7. Anoplogaster

Anoplogaster Arachnodemon Active Member

It’s just separated. Those things are made with two sides attached to a wedge-shaped spreader. Unfortunately, that spreader becomes a fulcrum for the lever action you create every time you squeeze the tongs. So after a while, if the adhesive is not strong enough, it gives out.

After you fix it, you can also wrap the end very tightly with string or wire. That should be a more permanent solution for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Liquifin

Liquifin Arachnodemon Active Member

This is why I would rather buy steel feeder tongs/tongs than buy the wood zoomed brand one (no offense). I don't find those essential and they get out of shape in a matter of time. I'd rather buy something of steel/metal for better and longer convenience use.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. Bryce Atwood

Bryce Atwood Arachnopeon

Lol I literally thought that

Snapped tongs

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Minty

Minty @londontarantulas Arachnosupporter

London
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

How does this even get posted.....

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Bryce Atwood

Bryce Atwood Arachnopeon

Lol I wish, the only tarantula I have that eats in front of me is my brachypelma albopolosum sling (I can’t spell)

13. Bryce Atwood

Bryce Atwood Arachnopeon

I honestly have no idea how it happened

14. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor

Your first mistake was buying something other than metal honestly. Had the same pair almost ten years now.

15. Teal

Teal Arachnoemperor Old Timer

We got the bamboo ones also at one point... Not only were they incapable of holding Dubia, but then they broke. Now we have at least two pair of metal tongs in the house at all times.

16. Serpyderpy

Serpyderpy Arachnosquire

I have the exact same pair that hasn't given up on me yet. I bought it because at the time it was the cheapest one there and I didn't want to spend too much. Sometimes a mealworm will go flying across the room when the tongs snap shut but other than that they seem somewhat okay for the time being, though when I get a bit more money I'd like to try and get a bigger pair of metal tongs and a small tweezer tong too so I can do maintence on my vials without worrying I'll crush the poor things.

17. Garth Vader

Garth Vader Arachnohipster

USA
    I use metal tongs for tarantulas, but I have a lot of bamboo tongs for cooking and well, this happens sometimes.

18. Bryce Atwood

Bryce Atwood Arachnopeon

Yeah and I get that, I just personally like bamboo better, even though with tarantulas the material of the tongs probably can’t harm them

19. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor

Functionality over looks imo.

20. Bryce Atwood

Bryce Atwood Arachnopeon

True true