1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does size and molts factor into breeding?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by RezonantVoid, Sep 29, 2018.

1. RezonantVoid

RezonantVoid Arachnoknight Arachnosupporter

Advertisement
    i would definitely have liked to supervise it, i just felt it would have been best to do so at night and i was just too tired :p

2. Teal

Teal Arachnoking Active Member

Hahaha yeah, one of our rules is "No pairing Ts while tired!" Why is that, you wonder? Ask us about the mature male H. mac who ended up living in a shoe... :hilarious:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. RezonantVoid

this i am interested to hear

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. PidderPeets

PidderPeets Arachnoangel Arachnosupporter

If my 3 inch N. chromatus can make enough of a sound and actually move the container in my hand as he turns around and scurries to his burrow, I'd imagine a 4.5 inch and 6 inch spider in a scuffle would make a bit of noise. Especially considering this species hisses. Lol

I'm officially asking about the mature male H. mac who lived in a shoe

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Teal

Long story short... the spider darted under my bed and into in a shoe. So, we just put the entire shoe into an enclosure and called it good :hilarious:

• Funny Funny x 4
  6. RezonantVoid

@Teal im just imagining this and losing it at the same time :D
    @PidderPeets correct on the hissing. they aren't as loud as our newly discovered "rattlesnake tarantulas" but still a pretty loud hiss

7. RezonantVoid

Today, i noticed the male outside his burrow standing a bit off the ground and he was doing this thing where he was waving his pedipalps around under his fangs and there was like a spike/needle on each of them i've never seen. is it possible that maybe the pairing with the female has brought on this behaviour, since i have never seen it before?

8. Theneil

Theneil Arachnoangel Active Member

USA
    The little 'needle' is the part of the emboli that is inserted into the female to deposite sperm.

As for the behavior, i cannot say, but i would be inclined to believe that something happened to change his behavior. Additionally, if he successfully mated with her, i would probably expect a new sperm web to be made in the near future (probably tonight.) --All just my own assumptions so take it with a large grain of salt.

I wish you the best of luck.

9. RezonantVoid

thx for enlightening! i can think of 2 situations:
    1- exactly what you just said
    2- the pairing was unsuccessful, but has made the male start preparing to mate again.
    in any case, ill leave them for a month or 2 and see if the female starts to look gravid, and if not ill try again

10. Teal

Sounds like he was grooming. Watch for a new sperm web... that is a sure sign a pairing was successful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. RezonantVoid

I'm not sure if it helps, he was doing this above a new flat silk sheet. I also thought he was grooming at first but he wasn't chewing the pedipalp bulbs, just waving them under his fangs and rubbing the spike on them

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  12. Teal

Ahh, sounds like he was cleaning them to load them then! That is a good sign.

• Like Like x 1
  13. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Males pretty much always spend a good deal of time grooming the palps after a successful pairing.

• Like Like x 1
  14. RezonantVoid

This sounds very promising, I'll hope for the best and just check the female regularly. She isn't showing any signs of premolt yet so I'm confident that she'll be able to lay it

15. RezonantVoid

Hello everyone who has responded to this thread Ive had a bit of an emergency. The female decided to molt unexpectedly so I'm assuming the eggsack she had would have been destroyed. I've still got the male and he is active but is starting to go bald on thr abdomen so I don't think he has long left. I want to pair them again ASAP before he goes but I hear that you need to wait months before pairing after a female molts. What is the cause for this and on a scale of 1 to 10 how important is this waiting period? Is it necessary at all? Thx in advance

16. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnoprince Active Member

Texas
    Well if you pair them right after the female molted she may not be receptive, and as she'll be hungry the chances of her eating the male are higher. You would have to feed her heavily to make sure she had the resources to make a viable sack.

17. RezonantVoid

Never thought of that so im glad I asked. This species is known for having very submissive females so I think if I can power feed her for a week or 2 it should go smoothly