How do YOU mist?

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
Perhaps I did misunderstand and if that is the case I am sorry for saying anything. I do acknowledge that he is filled with a lot of very useful information and I do read his posts. I've just noticed that he sometimes throws in a "dig" when talking to some people so I assumed the worst.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
If you want high humidity, keep the water dishes full and keep some of the substrate damp.
Just so I actually stay on topic here, I will say that this is exactly what I do with those of mine who need higher humidity. I will mist my avics and slings once a week or so, but use this method to actually keep humidity up for those that need it.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
\That statement was meant about his own post, just saying "here's some info, although other people covered what I said already" acknowledging that he was repeating other people.

Anyway, that's just how I took his post, if I'm wrong, you may correct me Joe ;)
Bingo .

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Like someone else already mentioned, I only mist my pre-molts and slings (because thats all I have lol). Mainly to keep the slings from dehydration as I had a sling die in the past from dehydration and to prevent getting stuck in a molt. I've watched my slings climb around and what seemed like drinking water from the droplets. Personally, I mist a couple times a week and keep the substrate moist. Thats pretty much all thats too it.

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I don't mist at all.
I think it's a waste of time.
I agree with Joe, just keep a bit of the substrate moist, and the water dish full.
You could also just use a bigger water dish.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
... So do I just rely on the water dish to provide humidity? ...
Not entirely. You also need to restrict ventilation a lot or all your precious humidity will merely escape out into the room.

Instead of a KK I'd recommend keeping it in something that would allow for restricting ventilation a lot more easily. Here are some suggestions depending on the tarantula's size.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

For a tarantula with a 1" leg span the pint (500 ml) canning jar would be about right. Note only a few holes in the lid. Merely keep the substrate slightly damp.

A 1" tarantula is too small for you (not the spider!) to benefit from or appreciate a formal cage, complete with decorations, play-toys, and fancy wallpaper. (As a parallel example, few if any humans can remember what their nursery looked like when they were babies.) Don't get carried away with the cutesy-pie furnishings.

At about twice its current size (approximately 1-1/2 to 2", 4 to 5 cm) you can start allowing it to dry out over a period of two or three molts. It will develop a waxy layer on its body that prevents it from desiccating between drinks from the (obligatory) water dish. Thereafter you care for it as an adult.

... If I injected water deep in the substrate, wouldn't that cause mold issues as well?
Mold is not the issue. The molds that people complain about are generally harmless to tarantulas. What you need to worry about are mites which are a huge threat. (Just ask someone who's suffered from them!)

As a tarantula grows from second instar (rarely third) as it leaves the eggsac until it's developed the waxy layer it needs to be kept in a slightly damp container to prevent desiccation. That dampness automatically opens it to the threat of mites. Your only defense is to check it once a week (usually while feeding it) and switch the spiderling to a new, clean container if you have any doubts at all about mites. Be sure to clean the old container well, and set it up, ready for another fast switch in case you need it later.

If you're a newbie, maybe you should read http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/stansrant.html too.

Genics are great spiders. Enjoy!