How do you make holes in plastic tubs, containers, amac boxes, etc.

Medusa

Arachnoknight
Here's the home for my new L. violaceopes. Made from a cheese ball container with a shower drain hot-glued to the top. Holes were melted with a solder iron, which would be too large for a sling. (My t is > 3" DLS.) Oh, and she's in there...somewhere.

CupcakeRosea

Arachnosquire
I use extreme overcompensation lol. I found these 1/16th" drill bits at Wal*mart and I use them for my sling containers. The holes are itty bitty as you can see in my future A. versi container. (I like to plan way, way ahead.) I was using a push pin to make holes but after a while it would really start to hurt my fingers. Plus it's hard to use a push pin in acrylic without cracking. I use the weight of the drill to go through brittle acrylic and very slightly push when I'm drilling something like a rubbery plastic container. It works wonders.

I have a .75" C. marshalli in here, you can kinda use it for size reference about how small the holes are. The yellow rock is in a water bottle cap.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
So for a 1/2" sling a 1/16" would be fine? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
For small containers with very small slings, I use a push pin to add about 40-50 micro sized holes. For containers with decently sized slings, I use a drill with a screw to make the holes. For large acrylic/plexiglass set ups, I use either a speed bor or paddle bit, or a circle burner if I'm going to put vent mesh on it. Hope this helps.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Thanks, but, I'm just paranoid about an escapee but would a 1/2" sling be fine with a 1/16" hole? I don't know if that's considered a micro sized hole or not..

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
Thanks, but, I'm just paranoid about an escapee but would a 1/2" sling be fine with a 1/16" hole? I don't know if that's considered a micro sized hole or not..

That would probably be ok, but it really depends on the size of the caraspace and abdomen. A push pin hole will be a little smaller than 1/16" and even 1/4" slings won't get through it. It is time consuming, I just went through 115 2.3oz containers with a push pin *after* I found out the hard way using a screw and drill was far too big (I didn't know the size of the slings that were coming). Had to tape up the holes and re-do all of them so my slings didn't escape.