How do YOU keep your Ts warm?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
"I don't think spiders are that advanced so they can accurately gauge their own body temperature."

Don'tcha think they'd cook themselves if they could not gauge their temperature? Or freeze into a crinkled cube?? EVERY living thing has got to have a sense of temperature of one sort or another.

I'm a total fan of the 25 watt red party lights. I have one over each of my tarantula tanks on one edge, so they can move away if they are wanting more cool. I live in a very humid environment, so I don't worry much about my girls mummifying. The girls like to party down under the red lights with a Bug Lite now and again.

I also believe that although Ts can live at cooler temperatures, if this were optimal, then we'd see more of them up trekking up north. I want my Ts to have temps approaching their natural environs. And the red lights provide nice tank viewing, as well.
Do you keep your tarantulas exactly how they're kept in the wild? Are they allowed to make deep burrows? Do you have live plants in there? Do they have a hide and do you provide 'realistic' sunlight?

Until you provide a 100% natural habitat, you can't say that using a heat lamp or heat mat or heat of any source is a positive thing.

Yes, tarantulas can gauge their body temperature and move to a location that will keep them where they need to be. In the case of a burrower, they have long, deep burrows so they can stay in the section that is the temp they need. Again, do you provide that for them?

The thing I don't understand about everyone is why they feel the need to provide external heat unless it's absolutely necessary. Unless below 65 degrees, there is NO need for it. It's an unnecessary risk and on top of that it's expensive to maintain.

Arachnosold1er

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Actually, I do allow them to make deep burrows.(Deeper than most. About 1'-1'6".) I do use live plants with all organic potting soil for subtrate in all of my enclosures. And they all have hides or burrows. And yes they get all natural 100% sunlight every morning that comes in through the windows in my T room. I am not a fan of mats or lights. But NOTHING in captivity is kept like it is in the wild. Thats why they call it CAPTIVITY. How do YOU keep your Ts? Bet it aint perfect! Nobodys setup is perfect. If you are so worried about natural go let yours back to the wild.

"Until you provide a 100% natural habitat, you can't say that using a heat lamp or heat mat or heat of any source is a positive thing."

Until YOU provide a 100% natural habitat, you cant say its a negative thing!

I didnt start this thread so people could argue over what method if any is better. I was just wondering what the poular method is IF you feel that your Ts need some kind of additional heat source. If anyone wants to argue the subject, PM me and I will start another thread, or go make your own.

hairmetalspider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Each one has it own hand made cable knit sweater. :D
Honestly, we don't do anything special. They live at the temperature we do.
I have the cutest image of a little Smithi with an Argyle sweater on.

*Sigh*