How do YOU keep your Ts warm?

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I am still hearing people saying that they put the heat mats under the tank. That is a big no no! :embarrassed: If you use them, and I do, always place them on the side or back. It's better to put them on one end, that way the T can have a warm end and a cool one. Heating the room is still a better idea and the oil filled heaters are the best for that.
Just a question, why not the bottom at one end:?

mwh9

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Because the instructions said not to. {D No really, it makes for a larger temp difference in the tank. I have often seen my T's go to the wall that the mat is on and sit for a while as if to warm up. Also by placing the mat on the end, I can mist that side and produce a greater amount of humidity without wetting more of the tank. Almost all of my T's like higher humidity.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just a question, why not the bottom at one end:?
You'll end up with a cooked spider.

I don't think spiders are that advanced so they can accurately gauge their own body temperature.

Again, why waste the money on heat mats when they're comfortable at the same temps we are? If we're ok, they're ok.

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You'll end up with a cooked spider.

I don't think spiders are that advanced so they can accurately gauge their own body temperature.

Again, why waste the money on heat mats when they're comfortable at the same temps we are? If we're ok, they're ok.
I've done it under one end no problems,.... BUT..., Im not here to argue I think the advise is sound, it could happen so I'll change it.

I dont use the heat and house gets very cold some nights so I'm not comfy, for three weeks or so I heat em.

IncyVinceySpiders

Arachnopeon
all my t's are in my bedroom. It is usually at a constant temperature of 25C or 77F. in the winter it gets quite chilly so i just stick the central heating on.. seems to the do the trick. :)

mwh9

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The heat mats that I use are the Zoo-med kind and only raise the temp about 5 degrees. I really don't need or have to have them. My T's are in the basement and it is a little cooler down there. It does seem to make them more active. The room stays at about 69 to 70 degrees, the mats raise the temp to about 75 degrees.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've done it under one end no problems,.... BUT..., Im not here to argue I think the advise is sound, it could happen so I'll change it.

I dont use the heat and house gets very cold some nights so I'm not comfy, for three weeks or so I heat em.
As long as you're paying attention and being smart about it, there shouldn't be an issue either way.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
I use a moon light, Like a black light, They barly give off any heat, they are like 40-60wt and I only turn them on at night. It helps keep them around 80-83 but you gotta keep them misted and waterd. my house is warm enough in the day time to not bother with anything.
if you are using incandescent then it gets really hot, I would not use this to heat Ts, I do use them to heat my leopard geckos though.

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
One of the dangers of putting a mat under the entire tank is it can also make the enclosure overly dry and dessicate your tarantula. A well watched mat under half of the tank, or on the side as some have mentioned will probably be fine if the temps are low enough to requre it.

The dessication problem would also apply to bulbs and heat lamps. I would not try that on a tarantula...

wsimms

Arachnodaddy
Old Timer
The only one I heat is my blondi, and I use a mat along with a Tropicaire unit to prevent dessication. She stays at 77, the rest stay at 70-72. I personally wouldn't do supplemental heat without supplemental moisture. It's a recipe for disaster.

wsimms

Arachnodaddy
Old Timer

mwh9

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I still had to buy an air pump but, I had most every thing else but the air stones, they are cheep enough.

clam1991

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
well i use mats on most of my ts but i do check them almost every hour
and since their one the porch it gets kinda cold
i also use a space heater
do u think keeping the space heater on at night would be enough?:confused:

mwh9

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would not let the temp get any lower than 65 degrees. I know they can survive lower temps for a while, I just would not put them through that though.

Medicinewolf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Party On

"I don't think spiders are that advanced so they can accurately gauge their own body temperature."

Don'tcha think they'd cook themselves if they could not gauge their temperature? Or freeze into a crinkled cube?? EVERY living thing has got to have a sense of temperature of one sort or another.

I'm a total fan of the 25 watt red party lights. I have one over each of my tarantula tanks on one edge, so they can move away if they are wanting more cool. I live in a very humid environment, so I don't worry much about my girls mummifying. The girls like to party down under the red lights with a Bug Lite now and again.

I also believe that although Ts can live at cooler temperatures, if this were optimal, then we'd see more of them up trekking up north. I want my Ts to have temps approaching their natural environs. And the red lights provide nice tank viewing, as well.

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The thing is heat pads have a thermo switch= lo, med. high, I keep mine on med and the tank (ten gal) is perfect. no cooky no crispy:D

sn95

Arachnopeon
I keep fish as well as the T's, so the room they are in stays roughly 76ish all year round with the fish tanks acting like big space heaters. Helps with humidity a little too.

Arachnosold1er

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree with Medicinewolf. Im not aware of any tarantulas migrating to canada for the summer to stay cool. Although they can do just fine at 65F, I try to keep mine as close to a tropical enviroment as possible. After all, that is where most of them come from. Also, because most of us keep out Ts indoors, the T misses a lot of natures "signals" to do certain things. Like molt, breed, fast, and so on. Yearly temp and light changes affect how a T acts. Knowing this, I try to help my Ts out by lowering the temp in their room in the winter and raising it in the summer. I also give them a shorter photoperiod in the winter to further mimic the seasons.

I just try to make it as natural as I can for them.