How do you guys water c versi slings?

Luka98

Arachnosquire
Hey i just got my second T and i'm absolutely stoked because it's a C Versicolor. I got it as a "bigger" sling and i made sure to read up on it because i've heard about the slings being difficult to keep so i know all about the ventilation. I just wanted to ask you guys how you water them at this size? Drip on the web or bottle cap? Also should i spritz the sub along with watering?

This is the container he/she arrived in btw he/she's going ti be there for a little while just so he/she rests from the trip then she has a new cross vented deli cup with anchor points and coco fiber. I dripped some water on the web with a clean pipette so just let me know if there's anything else i can do for him/her 20181016_104624.jpg

arachnidgill

Arachnoknight
Hey i just got my second T and i'm absolutely stoked because it's a C Versicolor. I got it as a "bigger" sling and i made sure to read up on it because i've heard about the slings being difficult to keep so i know all about the ventilation. I just wanted to ask you guys how you water them at this size? Drip on the web or bottle cap? Also should i spritz the sub along with watering?

This is the container he/she arrived in btw he/she's going ti be there for a little while just so he/she rests from the trip then she has a new cross vented deli cup with anchor points and coco fiber. I dripped some water on the web with a clean pipette so just let me know if there's anything else i can do for him/her View attachment 289590
Bottle cap or dripping on web are both fine, I prefer a bottle cap. Dont worry about stress, better to rehouse now.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
For future reference, for the sling small enough to stay in a 2.5 oz condiment container, I put some droplets of water on the sides of the enclosure and on the fake leaf I put in the enclosure. For anything larger, I put a put a bottle cap in the enclosure.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I had a water dish from the early beginning and my sling used it gladly: :D

Additionally, I sometimes put a few drops directly onto its web. I have a few holes in the top and just use a syringe for that.

But looking at your picture, that's not a proper enclosure for an arboreal T, especially not a heavy webber like a C. versicolor.
I wouldn't wait to rehouse it. As long as it moves fine you can put it in its new enclosure. Stress is highly overrated. It's more stress for them to first acclimate somewhere and then be rehoused/stressed again. Better do it all in one go.

By the way, was it sent in this cup? With all that substrate in it? Or did you get it yourself at an expo? I've never seen a C. versicolor housed like this, not even at an expo. They're normally in small pill vials, that are higher than a condiment cup.

Last edited:

Luka98

Arachnosquire
I had a water dish from the early beginning and my sling used it gladly: :D

Additionally, I sometimes put a few drops directly onto its web. I have a holes in the top and just use a syringe for that.

But looking at your picture, that's not a proper enclosure for an arboreal T, especially not a heavy webber like a C. versicolor.
I wouldn't wait to rehouse it. As long as it moves fine you can put it in its new enclosure. Stress is highly overrated. It's more stress for them to first acclimate somewhere and then be rehoused/stressed again. Better do it all in one go.

By the way, was it sent in this cup? With all that substrate in it? Or did you get it yourself at an expo? I've never seen a C. versicolor housed like this, not even at an expo. They're normally in small pill vials, that are higher than a condiment cup.
I ordered it online and i asked him about the substrate cup too (i presumed he sent it as a "starter kit" or something)and if i should keep it there until it grows out a bit he said yeah. There are no anchor points and now i've noticed that she's webbed up the lid fully so she's definitely not staying in this cup. Thank you for the advice i'll definitely find another enclosure but i just need to ask you to eye out this picture for me, i've prepared a little enclosure for it before ordering but now that it's here i think i made the holes too big, could she squeeze through one of the holes? 20181016_152408.jpg 20181016_152536.jpg

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
Are the holes larger than it’s carapace? Thats the only way to tell if it can escape. You have the best view of all it.

Also, creative use of straws for anchor points. I haven’t seen that done before

Luka98

Arachnosquire
Are the holes larger than it’s carapace? Thats the only way to tell if it can escape. You have the best view of all it.

Also, creative use of straws for anchor points. I haven’t seen that done before
Hehe thank you i was kinda nervous about that because i too haven't seen it done with straws but i think it looks cool .

Also sadly yeah, it's waay to huge for her carapace so i guess i'm making another one with smaller holes today and i'll put this one away for some arboreal juvie that i get down the road.

Thank you so much for these tips this has been super helpful. Will post her in the new enclosure once i make it.

Btw i'm really sorry for this but i'll have to squeeze in another question. I've seen the dark den guy use those urin cups for his arboreal slings sometimes and it looks so simplistic and cool, would the cup be too small for a sling her size tho? She should be around 1.1 inches

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Personally, I never use something with a screw cap. Those tiny little buggers love to web up the whole top and then you have to destroy their web every time you open the cup.

I built a tiny enclosure (2x2x4") for my C. versicolor myself:

20180623_home1.jpg
This one has a front opening door which makes it far easier to change the water or put food in.

Others use deli cups. Because of the flexible lid you don't have to open it the whole way but just a bit to put feeders in.

Luka98

Arachnosquire
Personally, I never use something with a screw cap. Those tiny little buggers love to web up the whole top and then you have to destroy their web every time you open the cup.

I built a tiny enclosure (2x2x4") for my C. versicolor myself:

View attachment 289593
This one has a front opening door which makes it far easier to change the water or put food in.

Others use deli cups. Because of the flexible lid you don't have to open it the whole way but just a bit to put feeders in.
Final update:
It's been an hour or 2 of poking holes and trying to superglue (ran out of hot glue stix) straws to treebark but i did it . It's fully cross vented and looks nice imo, i'm kinda paranoid that the glue didn't fully dry up but realistically speaking i gave it a couple of minuted and blew on it so it should be alright!

Here's the girl in her habitat, in a week or so i'm probably gonna try to make one of those ferrero rocher candybox enclosures with the hatched doors in the front but for now the screw cap will do.
20181016_174440.jpg
20181016_174445.jpg

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Definitely enough holes! :rofl: Although I prefer fake leaves, it looks kinda interesting with those straws. Let us know what your little one makes of it. :)

As it's probably impossible to put a water dish on the ground (I don't know if you'd be able to reach it), I'd glue a little water dish somewhere at the upper third of the container. Even if it's webbed up at some point. ;)

Luka98

Arachnosquire
Definitely enough holes! :rofl: Although I prefer fake leaves, it looks kinda interesting with those straws. Let us know what your little one makes of it. :)

As it's probably impossible to put a water dish on the ground (I don't know if you'd be able to reach it), I'd glue a little water dish somewhere at the upper third of the container. Even if it's webbed up at some point. ;)
Thank you, super curious myself i love the way it looks . Will post a pic tomorrow if she decides to web tonight.

Good eye on you, i haven't even noticed that i didn't leave a spot for the dish until it was too late. Anyways here's the impromptu dish tho i think it kinda works, it's wedged in just bellow her current sitting place and it has 3 points of contact with the straws and the wood so i don't think she'll be able to flip it, also 20181016_184726.jpg the cap is twice as big as her.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I use a bottle cap as a water dish, I've never had an issue with keeping an area of the sub slightly moist for Avic/Caribena slings, moisture is only an issue for them if your ventilation is crap.

DSC00001.JPG DSC00003.JPG DSC00005.JPG

If you don't put the anchor points right up next to the lid then they don't web it up (most of the time, you'll get the odd stubborn bugger that tries it anyway but they usually give up once you've destroyed their webbing a couple of times).

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I have mine set up with a simple bottle cap at the bottom of the enclosure, haven't had any issues.

UniqueUserName

Arachnopeon
I use a bottle cap as a water dish, I've never had an issue with keeping an area of the sub slightly moist for Avic/Caribena slings, moisture is only an issue for them if your ventilation is crap.

View attachment 289653 View attachment 289654 View attachment 289655

If you don't put the anchor points right up next to the lid then they don't web it up (most of the time, you'll get the odd stubborn bugger that tries it anyway but they usually give up once you've destroyed their webbing a couple of times).
I like your set ups!

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
For slings, drops on the web every three or four days.

Luka98

Arachnosquire
She's spent the night in the new enclosure but no webbing, is she still settling in or does this mean i should be worried? I know how easily avic slings die so i'm kinda stressing out

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Give it time! :) Some Ts need days or even weeks to settle in and start webbing/tarantuling (which means doing strange stuff we mere humans don't understand :rolleyes:).

Luka98

Arachnosquire
Give it time! :) Some Ts need days or even weeks to settle in and start webbing/tarantuling (which means doing strange stuff we mere humans don't understand :rolleyes:).
I just offered a baby lateralis and as soon as i dropped it in she chased it down and started munching. Not so worried anymore, filled up her dish and left her be . Thank you for your help this has been great.

Last edited:

Ludmil

Arachnopeon
I too spray the web/fake flora that I use 1-2 times a week, and made some kind of elevated water dish from 2 bottle caps hot glued on both sides of cork piece tap. It stays on the level of the fake plants, where the sling resides. It even made a web bridge over it :D