how do you come up for names for your T?

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
It just depends on the T. My first T (a female G. rosea) I named after the world's most famous spider, "Charlotte," even though the name would fit an Avic avic or GBB much better.

Sometimes it's because of a trait or personaliy quirk, usually used as a humorous reference until I can sex it and come up with a "proper" name:
P. irminia IM = "Dusty" (Named for his ability to teleport: *poof* Gone in a cloud of coco-fiber)
H. maculata sling = "Micro" (this one is a tiny .3" escape artist from hell)
G. pulchripes IF = "Se7en" (Because she is missing a leg....even though she will regenerate it, the name is permanent)
OBT sling = "Arachmed: The Orange Baboon Terrorist"

For my females: I'm really big on the sound of the name, as well as the meaning, so it has to "sound" like it fits that particular individual.
B. smithi = "Jasmine"
A. versicolor = "Jezebel"
A. avicularia = "Eva"
S. calceatum = "Lilith"

LOVE the name Lilith for an S. cal :D

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
usually whatever pops into my head, or whatever a friend suggests. They only get names when they're sexed. With an exception of my first T.
I think we need to start naming ours when they're sexed too...we have a G. pulchra named Aldonza, a P. platyomma named Octavia and a P. irminia named Aphrodite, all bought as slings too small to sex...they've all just recently been sexed and guess what - all male. Not impressed.

We name our T's randomly. We kind of have types of names for each genus. Ie Brachys are named after games (Yahtzee, Scrabble, Charades), our Avics named after birds (Zazu, Iago...) and our Pokies after Diablo characters (Baal the Lord of Destruction, Colenzo the Annihilator, Mephisto the Lord of Hatred, etc). Our C. elegans are Curious George and The Man in the Yellow Hat. Then they just get really ridiculous. Our C. perezmilesi are named Mortos der Soul Stealer and Firechief Mittens. Yes, Firechief Mittens. Don't ask, haha.

-Cass

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I name based off scientific names...in a way.

For example:
Citharischius crawshayi: I have two named Cindy and Shae - both female.
Vicky, the Avicularia (who doesn't)
Hysterocrates gigas - Olga - not quite, but Olga sounds like something big...lol

I think that gives the idea...

emma99

Arachnopeon
Gordon, after Gordon Freeman
Jayne, from Firefly
Lucy, girl version of Lucifer ;P

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was using pop culture names; some characters and some performers.
For example:

Marcellus Wallace
Nel Carter
Kermit
The Green Hornet
O'ren Ishi'i
Gonzo
Officer Poncherello

And so on...

To tell the truth though, I haven't named any of them in a while. I've got about 60 at the moment which is too many to name so they're really just "G. pulchripes (f)" and "C. crawshayi (unsexed)" "N. chromatus (unsexed) 1-4" and so on. Besides, it's not like they're going to come when I call them.

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My T names and how they came to me...

A.genic: Elvira, because she's beautiful but scary.

B.smithi: Pumpkin, her colors reminded me of halloween, so the name just came to me.

A.versicolor: Boo, when it looks out from it's web it kinda reminds me of peek-a-boo.

N.cromatus: Chomper.....take a guess why I named it this. {D

N.coloratovillosus: Tiny, because it is. :) (this will be ironic when it reaches full size)

L.parahybana: Joy, due to her nasty temperment (if you've ever seen the show "My name is Earl", this will make sense)

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
P. striata girls - Wow and Cool
P striata MM - Studly
P. regalis - GAH!
P. ornata- I Regret Ever Acquring You.... (IREAY)
Carlsbad Green Females - 1, 2, 3, 4
Hentzi females - 5, 6, and Rochelle
P. cancerides pair - Bonny and Clyde
B. smithi pair - Giggity and Goo

And I haven't really thought up names for the rest....

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think we need to start naming ours when they're sexed too...we have a G. pulchra named Aldonza, a P. platyomma named Octavia and a P. irminia named Aphrodite, all bought as slings too small to sex...they've all just recently been sexed and guess what - all male. Not impressed.
My 5" B. smithi has the name Marik, but I think she's female. {D The only other unsexed one with a name is my 1" A. sp. "Flagstaff orange" who aquired the name Spazz by running laps on his/her lid during the first feeding session.