How do you all remember tarantula names when everyone always shortens the genus?

Leila

Arachnobaron
I am sorry about my structure, I know sometimes it is terrible. :) We tend have a problem with it here because of mother language structure, but that does not excuse me. It is probably the most common problem our correctors have to deal with. :D
No need to apologize, love. I was only being a little playful. Plus, your sentence structure is superior to some of the American born members'. :)

boina

Lady of the mites
Ah so. Deutschlanders are some of the most the most avid people about doing things the correct way. I appreciate the info. I spent summer 97 over there travelling around but most of my time was spent in the Bielefeld area in Blomberg, Detmold and Herford. I learned a little bit of Deutsch over there but I have forgotten most of it. Does the Latin "c" have the same "ts" pronunciation as "z" does in Deutsch? In one Latin verbal translator Poecilotheria the "oe" had near the same pronunciation as the English word "whey" or sounded out "üe". So now I am confused a little. That pretty much settles it, I just need to take a classic Latin course.
Actually I didn't mean to say Germans pronounce it the correct way, just that they do it differently - as does practically everyone else.

For a while the "ts" sound was considered correct for a Latin "c" if it's in front of e or i,but I think by now Latin "c" should be pronounced "k" in all cases - which Germans don't do, so they do it wrong. The classical pronunciation would probably be something like poekeelo-teyria, so 'Pokie" is not bad, actually ;).

For example: "Auch boina muß mal ...
You are not allowed to use those words around here :p. You only get away with it because not many people around here will know what it means ...

Leila

Arachnobaron
You are not allowed to use those words around here :p. You only get away with it because not many people around here will know what it means ...
Oh, come on, boina! What does it mean???? :cyclops::wacky:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Ah so. Deutschlanders are some of the most the most avid people about doing things the correct way. I appreciate the info. I spent summer 97 over there travelling around but most of my time was spent in the Bielefeld area in Blomberg, Detmold and Herford. I learned a little bit of Deutsch over there but I have forgotten most of it. Does the Latin "c" have the same "ts" pronunciation as "z" does in Deutsch? In one Latin verbal translator Poecilotheria the "oe" had near the same pronunciation as the English word "whey" or sounded out "üe". So now I am confused a little. That pretty much settles it, I just need to take a classic Latin course.

I do remember a few phrases in Deutsch. For example: "Auch boina muß mal scheiße." :p
Actually I didn't mean to say Germans pronounce it the correct way, just that they do it differently - as does practically everyone else.

For a while the "ts" sound was considered correct for a Latin "c" if it's in front of e or i,but I think by now Latin "c" should be pronounced "k" in all cases - which Germans don't do, so they do it wrong. The classical pronunciation would probably be something like poekeelo-teyria, so 'Pokie" is not bad, actually ;).

Ich habe alles verstanden.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Oh, come on, boina! What does it mean???? :cyclops::wacky:
I'll text you what it means, check your phone.

@OliverWhatever I talk about the different species enough to know what most of them are even if they are written incorrectly. Even the ones I don't talk about a lot I can usually figure out what people mean. The more you talk about them and deal with the names the more you become familiar with them.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
Thought that was a clinical term in Deutsch. ;) Heard it on the radio and TV a lot over there, even in a graduation speech. Seemed to have a similar connotation but a different stigma. Pringle's commercials were rather entertaining, "Once you pop. You can't stop." has a completely different meaning in Deutsch. :p

Last edited:

OliverWhatever

Arachnosquire
Glad this thread sparked so much fun debate rather than 3 comments shortly answering the poorly phrased original post ;)
Tho I am slightly mad that my worldview has been slightly shattered regarding tarantula names, so... thanks for that, I guess...

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I use them as long as I know them, then always use the scientific name, it becomes ingrained the more you use it, I'm not an expert by any means but I remember the ones I like....lol

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
The 'ch' in Chromatopelma is pronounced 'k' in English. But the original pronunciation is different and a sound English (or French) people cannot easily produce. There is no equivalent to it in English. It sounds a little like the Mexican j in 'jalapeno'
I've heard people saying Petsiloterya, for Poecilotheria, remembering it's Latin, so who's right and who's wrong, no - one, if you say it and it's understood then all's well, like Chilobrachys, ch is k.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
*Funny thing is, I found two pronunciation guides for Loughborough on youtube. One went with 'Lockborough'; the other 'Louwborough'
I'm Scottish and would pronounce Loughborourgh as Lufbura,(phonetic) and loch as lochh with lots of phlegm at the end.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I've heard people saying Petsiloterya, for Poecilotheria, remembering it's Latin, so who's right and who's wrong, no - one, if you say it and it's understood then all's well, like Chilobrachys, ch is k.
Well...no, actually. At least not here in the Netherlands. Ch is pronounced like your 'ch' from loch, not 'k'. ;)

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Well...no, actually. At least not here in the Netherlands. Ch is pronounced like your 'ch' from loch, not 'k'. ;)
That's exactly what I have said the "ch" is pronounced "k", easy as pie. A loch is pronounced lock but with a grammatical "k" at the end, as in Loch Ness. Not Lo"CH" as in cheese.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
That's exactly what I have said the "ch" is pronounced "k", easy as pie. A loch is pronounced lock but with a grammatical "k" at the end, as in Loch Ness. Not Lo"CH" as in cheese.
[EDIT] 'kee'lo'brak'a' sorry for that.

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
But ..you said with a lot of phlegm...which wouldn't make it a 'k' sound.
This is getting confusing....I already checked on the Dutch Facebook page but apparently someone is hacking that page. Or my Facebook....:shifty:
I'll try to find a YouTube video with the 'ch' in it that I am talking about....

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Ok, I appreciate first "i" staying ee and not /ai/, I am a bit confused about how did "ys" chanche into a, but I am totally lost in where the hell did the second ee appear from. :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Same here. In Dutch it is 'G'ee loo bra 'g' ees. A
With de 'g' being the sound of the vid above.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Same here. In Dutch it is 'G'ee loo bra 'g' ees. A
With de 'g' being the sound of the vid above.
Lost in translation I'm afraid, we obviously say it differently, "ch" as in choir - a group of people singing. That's all my input, as again we'll get lost in translation and it's not worth the confusion, we all know what we mean, as long as we spell correctly we'll know what sp. or genera we're discussing. Yeah fair enough.