How do i stop this from happening?.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
If it's a new enclosure it's normal. My pulchra did the same for about two weeks until she aclimates to the new enclosure. It look like your substrate is too dry, did you wet it a little bit before putting it in the terrarium?

Regarding the mesh, is a must to do. I found my pulchra twice hanging from her tarsal claw, or trying to make a hole...
IMG_20180804_014507.jpg

The size is fine, may be I will add a little bit of verticality, this way the T will have different spots with different values of humidity and temperature. Less substrate at front and more back, burrowing his hide for example.
IMG_20181007_151519.jpg

This is my Geniculata enclosure. The left side is the thinnest part, with her basking zone (heated pebbles). The left side is more tall, with plants, giving her two spots, one with heat and the other more cold and humid. This way I can see my tarantula moving aroung finding her perfect spot.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
This is my Geniculata enclosure. The left side is the thinnest part, with her basking zone (heated pebbles). The left side is more tall, with plants, giving her two spots, one with heat and the other more cold and humid. This way I can see my tarantula moving aroung finding her perfect spot.
I'd be worried about the pebbles overheating and the tarantula falling in that enclosure tbh. But it's a nice looking set up!

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I'd be worried about the pebbles overheating and the tarantula falling in that enclosure tbh. But it's a nice looking set up!
The max temperature they can get is 30°C/86°F. I have a thermostat inside the pebbles to prevent them from overheating. Also they are smooth and flat pebbles, with a lot of air gaps between them, so in case of falling it will act like a cushion too. It's funny, but since they're in those enclosures they do not climb, I think due to different climatic spots. They are moving around for hunting, or looking for her perfect spot to relax.

Jayk

Arachnopeon
You could try to add a peice plastic or glass behind the door to allow you to put more substrate in (id say about half the current air space ) and hold it in place, and use some aquarium safe silicone to seal it.

Just my 2 cents

The max temperature they can get is 30°C/86°F. I have a thermostat inside the pebbles to prevent them from overheating. Also they are smooth and flat pebbles, with a lot of air gaps between them, so in case of falling it will act like a cushion too. It's funny, but since they're in those enclosures they do not climb, I think due to different climatic spots. They are moving around for hunting, or looking for her perfect spot to relax.

They might get to 30 degrees but your t can and will sit on them till it dehydrates itself to death

Last edited by a moderator:

Jayk

Arachnopeon
...while you watch. They could climb when you don't watch, and even if they don't now, their behaviors can change unpredictably.
Agree, my geniculata was a sweetheart, then ahe molted and turned evil.like a whole new t when it molted.

Rinfish

Arachnopeon
Like others have said, literally just put more substrate in, the enclosure should be fine.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
They might get to 30 degrees but your t can and will sit on them till it dehydrates itself to death
Yeah they do constantly in the nature, bask until death. They do not survive millions of years being so stupid Lol. The pebbles are their basking zone, and believe me any day at a direct sunlight if you touch any rock it will be way above of those 30C/86F. Simply when they feel that are heated, they move to the cool zone of the vivarium. Another different thing is to heat all the enclosure to 30/86 degrees, in that case they can dehydrate easily.

Please I don't wanna be rude, I'm learning how to translate properly the expressions from my language. Sorry if I fail sometimes hahahahaha xD

...while you watch. They could climb when you don't watch, and even if they don't now, their behaviors can change unpredictably.
My mistake, I wanna say they do not climb as much as before. Obviously they are going to climb, while they can, because they are spiders, but now they feel much more confortable in the substrate than before.

cold blood

Staff member
Tarantulas are not reptiles, they shouldnt have basking zones.

Heating the bottom will keep them from climbing, they are drawn to heat like a moth drawn to a flame. Heat the bottom and even an Avic will sit on the ground and even burrow. Doesnt mean the warm floor is needed or even beneficial.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Tarantulas are not reptiles, they shouldnt have basking zones.

Heating the bottom will keep them from climbing, they are drawn to heat like a moth drawn to a flame. Heat the bottom and even an Avic will sit on the ground and even burrow. Doesnt mean the warm floor is needed or even beneficial.
I never had a problem with those basking spots, moreover, my pulchra spends less time basking than before. It could be because it heats the entire enclosure better than a mat under the substrate. The mat is under the tank, and on top of that are the pebbles. They help to heat the hair more efficiently, because they keep better the heat, heating the air between them. They stay at 26 degrees more or less, keeping the enclosure stable at 23-24 degrees Celsius, so only 2 degrees ale lost. Now put a mat under the substrate or in one side, and touch it. This is more dangerous for them than those pebbles at 26°C. I'm speaking about only a mat without the pebbles. I have a small one installed between both enclosures (for hard winter) and barely reaches 20° to help the pebbles to maintain the temperature

Here is necesary to put a mat in the enclosure, because in winter we stay below zero degrees a lot of days. Just now are 12° outside and 17° Inside the house. In summer I disconect the mats because it makes perfect temperature for them, between 22-28°C

Last edited:

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I never had a problem with those basking spots, moreover, my pulchra spends less time basking than before. It could be because it heats the entire enclosure better than a mat under the substrate. The mat is under the tank, and on top of that are the pebbles. They help to heat the hair more efficiently, because they keep better the heat, heating the air between them. They stay at 26 degrees more or less, keeping the enclosure stable at 23-24 degrees Celsius, so only 2 degrees ale lost. Now put a mat under the substrate or in one side, and touch it. This is more dangerous for them than those pebbles at 26°C.

Here is necesary to put a mat in the enclosure, because in winter we stay below zero degrees a lot of days. Just now are 12° outside and 17° Inside the house. In summer I disconect the mats because it makes perfect temperature for them, between 22-28°C
Sure, it’s working now, but there is a chance it malfunctions, and I for one wouldn’t want to take that risk. And it isn’t necessary to put a mat directly under or touching the enclosure, you can attach the heat mat to the side of a larger container and then put that enclosure inside it if need be.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Sure, it’s working now, but there is a chance it malfunctions, and I for one wouldn’t want to take that risk. And it isn’t necessary to put a mat directly under or touching the enclosure, you can attach the heat mat to the side of a larger container and then put that enclosure inside it if need be.
They are regulated by thermostats.

In my case the container would need to be gigantic :D:D:D

IMG_20181001_151519__01.jpg

cold blood

Staff member
s necesary to put a mat in the enclosure, because in winter we stay below zero degrees a lot of days
I live in the cold north as well, and dont use a single mat, mats are absolutely not "necessary"....there are better alternatives than a mat under the tank.

Ts just dont require high heat.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I live in the cold north as well:bored:
No way... you actually live in a pretty colder state, he lives in Euskal Herria (Basque Country). Now probably their Winters are a bit colder than our Lombardy ones, but I highly doubt their temperatures can be colder like Winsconsin, Minnesota etc or more northern European nations, like Norway :pompous:

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
I live in the cold north as well, and dont use a single mat, mats are absolutely not "necessary"....there are better alternatives than a mat under the tank.

Like Fort Drum NY cold? :happy: Was stationed there 4 years and was the coldest post I’ve ever been at. I loved the Thousand Islands area though.

basin79

ArachnoGod

Mats should NEVER be used UNDER a tarantulas enclosure.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
No way... you actually live in a pretty colder state, he lives in Euskal Herria (Basque Country). Now probably their Winters are a bit colder than our Lombardy ones, but I highly doubt their temperatures can be colder like Winsconsin, Minnesota etc or more northern European nations, like Norway :pompous:
I wish we had colder winters with a lot of snow like before :arghh:

From 10 years to now, we have very extrange winters, we can pass from below zero to 18 degrees in one day. The bad here is that the winter is too humid. It's not like northern winther that is more cold but more dry. Here rains, freezes, rain, freezes, fog, car accident hahahahahaha

I think that we need to return to the original post, we are going offtopic xD

Misschloejenkins

Arachnopeon
You can easily and cheaply make that enclosure work.

Get 2 pieces of perspex. One for the front and one for the top. Have the piece for the front go the full width and around 3 inches past the bottom of the doors. The deep substrate will hold it in place and will allow you to slightly angle it so it touches the glass doors. That will stop there being a gap. You'll be able to add more substrate to lessen the gap from the floor to the top.

The next piece you attach to the top to stop your tarantula accidently getting a foot claw stuck. It's really easy to do. Even I managed it and I'm absolutely useless with any sort of DIY. Made a video at the time.

I'm too fat and lazy to even make that never mind to go buy the stuff lol. and it looks quite complicating aswell.

Terrestrial Ts can and will climb, easily solved by adding more substrate that's literally all you need to do to avoid a bad fall. I also cover any sharp corners of hides or water dishes in sub.

My GBB clinging upside down on the lid.
with my Exo terra enclosure you can't add anymore substrate in their as there is holes to where I need to stop filling it, now if I was to go over that hole I'd get substrate all over my carpet.

Then get an aboreal for this tank and get to a cheap plastic storage box some are clear enough.
I'd rather keep my terrestrial T she seems to of settled down in her home now she's just not eating so she could be in pre molt.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I'm too fat and lazy to even make that never mind to go buy the stuff lol. and it looks quite complicating aswell.
It's really easy. Takes less than a minute to do the lid. Just have to use something as a lid whilst the silicone dries in another room.

with my Exo terra enclosure you can't add anymore substrate in their as there is holes to where I need to stop filling it, now if I was to go over that hole I'd get substrate all over my carpet.
A piece of perspex the width of the exo and higher than the door vents will solve that. Again super easy to fix the problem.

Torech Ungol

Arachnosquire
I simply don't understand the purpose of statements like these. Are you taking your tarantulas out on walks? If not, of what relevance is the external temperature? It's the average temperature of your tarantula's room that has any bearing on this discussion. Heat the room, not the enclosure.