How do i stop this from happening?.

Misschloejenkins

Arachnopeon
Hey guy's, so I've just recently bought a new enclosure for my T and she seems to be climbing the glass and staying onto of the mesh cover?. can anybody tell me how I can stop her from being up there as I don't want her to fall and rupture her abdomen as I know this can be Dangerous for her and scary for us?.

Attachments

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
You can’t stop your tarantula from climbing. What you can do though, is use a more suitable enclosure. There’s way to much height in that enclosure. To prevent falls that can harm your tarantula, there should be no more than 1.5x the diagonal leg span. So if you have a 4” specimen, there should be no more than 6” from the substrate to the lid. Also, mesh covers are not suitable for tarantulas. They can get their tarsal claws stuck and lose a leg. You can replace the mesh with acrylic, but honestly, I’d make a whole new enclosure for that t.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
@spookyvibes summed it up. Many of my terrestrials will climb every now and then, depends on their mood. A good rule to follow for height in a cage is the height from the ground to the top should not be more than 1.5x the length of your T. That enclosure would be great for an arboreal, but your terrestrial T is in a lot of danger in there. Especially when it likes to climb a lot. If you have the resources, you may want to think about rehousing it :)

Misschloejenkins

Arachnopeon
You can’t stop your tarantula from climbing. What you can do though, is use a more suitable enclosure. There’s way to much height in that enclosure. To prevent falls that can harm your tarantula, there should be no more than 1.5x the diagonal leg span. So if you have a 4” specimen, there should be no more than 6” from the substrate to the lid. Also, mesh covers are not suitable for tarantulas. They can get their tarsal claws stuck and lose a leg. You can replace the mesh with acrylic, but honestly, I’d make a whole new enclosure for that t.
I've just bloody bought it, it cost me a BOMB £60.00 I paid I can't afford anymore enclosure I've spent enough of her as it is. I can't win with people the enclosure looks fine to me I have seen them in with other pet owners and people don't tell them to get a new enclosure?.

@spookyvibes summed it up. Many of my terrestrials will climb every now and then, depends on their mood. A good rule to follow for height in a cage is the height from the ground to the top should not be more than 1.5x the length of your T. That enclosure would be great for an arboreal, but your terrestrial T is in a lot of danger in there. Especially when it likes to climb a lot. If you have the resources, you may want to think about rehousing it :)
I've just bloody bought it, it cost me a BOMB £60.00 I paid I can't afford anymore enclosure I've spent enough of her as it is. I can't win with people the enclosure looks fine to me I have seen them in with other pet owners and people don't tell them to get a new enclosure?.

Last edited by a moderator:

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
You can certainly keep it if you want. I'm only trying to make sure your T doesn't hurt itself. It does stink that the expensive cage you bought for your T may not work. If you see other people keeping T's with that much height, I would warn them. The threat is real, and people here have actually had spiders fall and bust their abdomen and die. My G. pulchripes was in the exact same cage yours was in. It was my first, and one day I woke up to it having its one leg caught in the mesh, struggling to get down. I was lucky that my mom (I was young) saw the problem and got her down. It probably saved her life. So, just trying to make sure your tarantula is safe. Keep it if you want, but be aware of the consequences...

Last edited:

Potatatas

Arachnoknight
There's 3 types of tarantula, Terrestrial (yours), Arboreal and Fossorial. Each needs different enclosures. Terrestrials (yours) do not climb very much so require less height. Also they aren't as good climbers so having lots height means it could fall and injure itself. Exo Terra types also don't allow for much substrate which is necessary for terrestrials. They often like to burrow.

You've probably seen your type of enclosures used with arboreal species which do climb and need the height.

You could keep your T in there but just know it's not good for the T at all. Your choice

Misschloejenkins

Arachnopeon
You can certainly keep it if you want. I'm only trying to make sure your T doesn't hurt itself. It does stink that the expensive cage you bought for your T may not work. If you see other people keeping T's with that much height, I would warn them. The threat is real, and people here have actually had spiders fall and bust their abdomen and die. My G. pulchripes was in the exact same cage yours was in. It was my first, and one day I wok up to it having its one leg caught in the mesh, struggling to get down. I was lucky that my mom (I was young) saw the problem and got her down. It probably saved her life. So, just trying to make sure your tarantula is safe. Keep it if you want, but be aware of the consequences...
Thank You for you're advice, sorry if I seemed a bit aggressive I just don't want anythink wrong happening as I thought to myself when I bought this enclosure that it was going to be the perfect set up but now im getting told that its too big. the last enclosure I bought someone said it was too small.

There's 3 types of tarantula, Terrestrial (yours), Arboreal and Fossorial. Each needs different enclosures. Terrestrials (yours) do not climb very much so require less height. Also they aren't as good climbers so having lots height means it could fall and injure itself. Exo Terra types also don't allow for much substrate which is necessary for terrestrials. They often like to burrow.

You've probably seen your type of enclosures used with arboreal species which do climb and need the height.

You could keep your T in there but just know it's not good for the T at all. Your choice
Thank You for you're advice, sorry if I seemed a bit aggressive I just don't want anythink wrong happening as I thought to myself when I bought this enclosure that it was going to be the perfect set up but now im getting told that its too big. the last enclosure I bought someone said it was too small

Last edited by a moderator:

Potatatas

Arachnoknight
Thank You for you're advice, sorry if I seemed a bit aggressive I just don't want anythink wrong happening as I thought to myself when I bought this enclosure that it was going to be the perfect set up but now im getting told that its too big. the last enclosure I bought someone said it was too small
No worries, I'm a new keeper too and know how worrying it can be trying to get the setup just right. If you need a cheap enclosure have a look at those clear plastic storage boxes. Can get them in loads of sizes in most homewares shops. There is a rule of thumb for the size but I keep forgetting exactly so if a more experienced keeper can correct me then please do!

Width - 2.5 times the DLS (diagonal leg span) of your T
Length - 4 times the DLS
Height - Should allow for at least 4 inches of substrate a plus 1.5 times the DLS on top.

Hope this helps

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
No worries, I'm a new keeper too and know how worrying it can be trying to get the setup just right. If you need a cheap enclosure have a look at those clear plastic storage boxes. Can get them in loads of sizes in most homewares shops. There is a rule of thumb for the size but I keep forgetting exactly so if a more experienced keeper can correct me then please do!

Length - 4 times the DLS
Height - Should allow for at least 4 inches of substrate a plus 1.5 times the DLS on top.

Hope this helps
A good few inches of sub and only 1.5x DLS between sub and lid is correct for a terrestrial- but 4x DLS total height is quite excessive for your average terrestrial- that’s 20 inches for a 5 inch T.

basin79

ArachnoGod
You can easily and cheaply make that enclosure work.

Get 2 pieces of perspex. One for the front and one for the top. Have the piece for the front go the full width and around 3 inches past the bottom of the doors. The deep substrate will hold it in place and will allow you to slightly angle it so it touches the glass doors. That will stop there being a gap. You'll be able to add more substrate to lessen the gap from the floor to the top.

The next piece you attach to the top to stop your tarantula accidently getting a foot claw stuck. It's really easy to do. Even I managed it and I'm absolutely useless with any sort of DIY. Made a video at the time.

Potatatas

Arachnoknight
A good few inches of sub and only 1.5x DLS between sub and lid is correct for a terrestrial- but 4x DLS total height is quite excessive for your average terrestrial- that’s 20 inches for a 5 inch T.
You meant length here right? Maybe more like 3x dls length then?

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
You meant length here right? Maybe more like 3x dls length then?
Ahhhh I had read your post on mobile, and it did away with the formatting. Now reading it here on a PC what you were saying makes much more sense.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
You can easily and cheaply make that enclosure work.

Get 2 pieces of perspex. One for the front and one for the top. Have the piece for the front go the full width and around 3 inches past the bottom of the doors. The deep substrate will hold it in place and will allow you to slightly angle it so it touches the glass doors. That will stop there being a gap. You'll be able to add more substrate to lessen the gap from the floor to the top.

The next piece you attach to the top to stop your tarantula accidently getting a foot claw stuck. It's really easy to do. Even I managed it and I'm absolutely useless with any sort of DIY. Made a video at the time.

I just want to back this up- I did this recently with an exo terra for my Avic and it is great!

Of course, the avic has only hung out on the side and is webbing up the glass and seems to care not about the lovely enclosure I put a bit of time, effort, and dollars into. Oh well. Avics gonna avic.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Then get an aboreal for this tank and get to a cheap plastic storage box some are clear enough.

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
I use a 10 gallon aquarium filled to about 6-7 inches from the top for my terrestrials. For a lid I used Lexan//Polycarbonate that I drilled holes in far enough from the edge so they can’t reach them easily. So they won’t get a leg stuck in the holes. Lexan is a bit hard to drill, I used the thicker stuff. But titanium drill bits did ok.

I think for my terrestrial enclosures I spent about $25 American total. I always watch for pet stores when they have aquariums on sale for 1 dollar a gallon. A pieces of Lexan cut to fit a 10 gallon is around 12-15 dollars. Then it’s just a bit of elbow grease to drill it. Substrate you can use dirt from outside if you photo sterilize it by thinly spreading it out on a tarp in the sun all day. The UV light from the sun will drive out or kill any insects, bacteria or fungi in it. Along with dehydrating it.

Last edited:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
There is a rule of thumb for the size but I keep forgetting exactly so if a more experienced keeper can correct me then please do!

Length - 4 times the DLS
The bare minimum is 2x DLS length and width, the gap between the top of the sub and the top of the enclosure shouldn't exceed 1.5x DLS for terrestrials regardless of the species required substrate depth (you could put a 3" non-burrowing T in a 12" tall enclosure provided you fill it with at least 7.5" of sub, I use exo terra flat faunariums for non-burrowers as they'll be fine on as little as 3" of substrate).

MissouriArachnophile

Arachnoknight
You could replace the top screen with a piece of glass or plexiglass (probably better since you could put ventilation in it). Secure it with hot glue or another adhesive people use. Flip it on the side so the doors are on the top, fill the sub upto 1.5x dls. Just an idea is all.

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
You could replace the top screen with a piece of glass or plexiglass (probably better since you could put ventilation in it). Secure it with hot glue or another adhesive people use. Flip it on the side so the doors are on the top, fill the sub upto 1.5x dls. Just an idea is all.
If the doors are hinged with screws you could remove them and make a small wood door. Cut out the center and attach drilled plexiglass/lexan or screen. You can coat the door with Polyethlene and cure it in a warm oven (150 degrees F) to drive off all the volatiles out before using it and coat the inside with a thin coat of Vaseline//Petroleum jelly so the T cannot get a grip to reach the screen. Have like a 2 inch gap between enclosure sides and screen for ventilation. Vaseline is non toxic, I use it in my ant colony to keep the from climbing out, it has no lid. The ants try and climb it, but slide right off back into their enclosure. I caught a queen that had bred of those Ants that are red with a black abdomen here in OH. Started her in a test tube until she got a few workers going.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've just bloody bought it, it cost me a BOMB £60.00 I paid I can't afford anymore enclosure I've spent enough of her as it is.
You should have done research, or more thorough research. However there is CHEAP solution for you below, you're welcome

Search for this thread > Exo-terra Nano conversion: from arboreal to terrestrial **pic heavy**

I can't win with people the enclosure looks fine to me I have seen them in with other pet owners and people don't tell them to get a new enclosure?.
This is not true, many people tell pet stores they are doing it wrong. Just because you have seen something, doesn't mean it's the proper way.

I just don't want anythink wrong happening as I thought to myself when I bought this enclosure that it was going to be the perfect set up
And neither do we, hence our advice. Less than perfect, but close if modded properly.

but now im getting told that its too big
It's not too big, it's the wrong configuration.

I keep the same species in an ExoTerra Breeder Box, Large-- no issues, no fall injury and stackable.