How do i pre-kill dubias the humane way?

Luka98

Arachnosquire
Hey, my b albo is in premolt and i also have a c versicolor sling that sometimes gets spooked by it's prey. I've been pre-killing small lateralis for the versi and they usually die instantly if you prod them but when i do it to dubias for the albo (just in case she wants another snack because the premolt is at a very early stage) they take about 10 minutes and look like they are in agonizing pain. I really wish i could do something to make their passing a little more instant and humane.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Hey, my b albo is in premolt and i also have a c versicolor sling that sometimes gets spooked by it's prey. I've been pre-killing small lateralis for the versi and they usually die instantly if you prod them but when i do it to dubias for the albo (just in case she wants another snack because the premolt is at a very early stage) they take about 10 minutes and look like they are in agonizing pain. I really wish i could do something to make their passing a little more instant and humane.
AFAIK the best way to do it is to crush the head. Just realize movement does not necessarily mean life - dead things will keep moving for a brief amount of time after the fact.

Luka98

Arachnosquire
Just realize movement does not necessarily mean life - dead things will keep moving for a brief amount of time after the fact.
Oh gotcha, yep i do crush the head but the legs thrashing around after i do so made me think they live for a little while after passing. Thank you this makes me rest easier.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Oh gotcha, yep i do crush the head but the legs thrashing around after i do so made me think they live for a little while after passing. Thank you this makes me rest easier.
NP. I'll just throw in the disclaimer that I haven't studied insects on their anatomy and such so there's a possibility I am wrong, but iirc that's the case. And even if it wasn't the case, I'm not sure there's a more "humane" way to prekill them that'll keep them edible to the T.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
You can also stick them in the freezer for about 10 mins or so. They usually just fall asleep when you do that. That’s how entomophagists humanely kill their bugs before cooking them.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
You can also stick them in the freezer for about 10 mins or so. They usually just fall asleep when you do that. That’s how entomophagists humanely kill their bugs before cooking them.
You don't think the cool temperature may turn off the T?

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
You don't think the cool temperature may turn off the T?
Hmm..... didn’t really think about that being an issue. I suppose it’s possible. You can always let them warm back up (assuming they are actually dead and not just knocked out).

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Dubia are very much still alive with a crushed head, by the way. They end up dying of dehydration if left alone long enough. If you want them dead, then the freezer is the way to go. Just know that many juvenile and adult spiders won't even look at a completely dead roach.

Luka98

Arachnosquire
Freeze them, kill them and then thaw them in a container, sounds good

Dubia are very much still alive with a crushed head, by the way. They end up dying of dehydration if left alone long enough. If you want them dead, then the freezer is the way to go. Just know that many juvenile and adult spiders won't even look at a completely dead roach.
Yep, i usually crush the head so they don't burrow in the b albo's enclosure and drop them in, since she's in early premolt now i want to leave a dead dubia in front of the burrow just in case

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Thank you for the clarification on that. Is this particularly a roach thing? I've noticed with my mealworms they usually stop moving pretty shortly after crushing the head, while I've had a cricket survive over 24 hours after I had crushed it's head and tossed it in to an enclosure thinking I had killed it.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Thank you for the clarification on that. Is this particularly a roach thing? I've noticed with my mealworms they usually stop moving pretty shortly after crushing the head, while I've had a cricket survive over 24 hours after I had crushed it's head and tossed it in to an enclosure thinking I had killed it.
I couldn't answer that. I'm sure it largely has to do with the insect in question. I've noticed that crushing a hissing roach's head typically kills them, but dubia will happily scurry around for over a day with a crushed head.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
This has been my experience as well. Blaptica dubia don't smell like food to a tarantula for some reason so after dispatching them, I found I had to cut them in half in order for my tarantulas to find them and eat them. I had to pre kill small dubia to feed two tiny Aphonopelma spiderlings and they would only eat them if they were cut in half. For extra consideration for humanely killing roaches, I first put them in the refrigerator until they stop moving then put them in the freezer to kill them and for storage until I was ready to feed them off. Sometimes the refrigerator is enough to kill them. I didn't see that my tarantulas were put off by the temperature of the pre killed roaches, but they can always be thawed before feeding.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Dubia can stay alive for over a week with a crushed head.

I've noticed with my mealworms they usually stop moving pretty shortly after crushing the head
If you want mealworms to retain some movement then only partially crush their heads otherwise they'll only move when grabbed.

A Beardie Lover

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the tip! :)
I've cut the heads off of hornworms and crikets. Make sure to do it quick and don't go to low on the body. If a little body contents comes out I think it helps lure the T in. For me it's seems a bit more humane than crushing a head. My slings who have become afraid of prey will eat them well and thrive. I will make sure the body is near the T.
Thank you for the fridge/ freezer idea though. I am definitely going to try this.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I've cut the heads off of hornworms and crikets. Make sure to do it quick and don't go to low on the body. If a little body contents comes out I think it helps lure the T in. For me it's seems a bit more humane than crushing a head. My slings who have become afraid of prey will eat them well and thrive. I will make sure the body is near the T.
Thank you for the fridge/ freezer idea though. I am definitely going to try this.
I do the same for mealworms I intend to cut into small pieces to be distributed amongst my small slings. Usually reserve head crushing for slings that are picky eaters or may be approaching premolt to lessen the chances of it burrowing if the T doesn't immediately jump on it. And thankfully in the event that happens x there's always a hungry mouth willing to step up to the plate.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
I dont know if the roaches where ever even alive to begin with, I mean they dont have brains just cluster of nerves. but if you really want the roach to be dead, you can temporarily put it to sleep by dunking it in ice water, Then you can crush the head, now it it only half alive, put it in the blender and it might only move a little.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
As I understand it, insects don't feel pain (Spiders don't either, which explains how they can self amputate a leg without any problems). So really this is more about human feelings than animal suffering. I don't let it bother me, but since I grew up on a farm, and have seen some pretty gruesome things, I may have a thicker skin than most.

Luka98

Arachnosquire
As I understand it, insects don't feel pain (Spiders don't either, which explains how they can self amputate a leg without any problems). So really this is more about human feelings than animal suffering. I don't let it bother me, but since I grew up on a farm, and have seen some pretty gruesome things, I may have a thicker skin than most.
I didn't know they don't feel pain thank you for sharing that. I don't have any problems with feeding them to my spiders i just want to be as respectful as possible in doing so :D

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I didn't know they don't feel pain thank you for sharing that.
While I knew insects don't feel pain, I got curious for more details so I Googled "do insects feel feel pain". I thought this was interesting:

https://www.thoughtco.com/do-insects-feel-pain-1968409

This part really explains it:

"Insects Don't Show Pain Responses
Perhaps the clearest evidence that insects do not feel pain is found in behavioral observations. How do insects respond to injury?

An insect with a damaged foot doesn't limp. Insects with crushed abdomens continue to feed and mate. Caterpillars still eat and move about their host plant, even with parasites consuming their bodies. Even a locust being devoured by a praying mantid will behave normally, feeding right up until the moment of death."