How do I measure a scorpion?

port513

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
From what point to what point should I measure a scorpion to get the right size?

avd88

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well Im not an expert but you can grab it with a pair of pliers with a rubber tip (so u dont hurt the scorp) and measure it with a ruler, thats what I would do. but how i said, Im not an expert.

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As far as I'm aware you measure a scorpion from the front edge of the prosoma (head) to the telson (sting). A live scorpion is not easy to measure, you can however put them in the fridge for a while to calm them down.

Edit: Sometimes they seem to measured from prosoma to base of the tail as well, which can be useful since tail lengths are sometimes highly sexually dimorphic. I can't remember which is considered the official measurement.

Last edited:

avd88

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Fusion, is much more expierienced than me, listen to his adivice.

port513

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
fusion121 said:
As far as I'm aware you measure a scorpion from the front edge of the prosoma (head) to the telson (sting). A live scorpion is not easy to measure, you can however put them in the fridge for a while to calm them down.
Don't think my A. mauretanicus likes to be that cold ;)

EDIT:

And I will NEVER freehandle them, NO WAY!

Last edited:

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A brief cooling will do nothing except make them more docile, even scorpions from extremely hot enviroments can withstand temperatures below 10C for a considerable time, which is handy for postage in the UK ;)

port513

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
fusion121 said:
A brief cooling will do nothing except make them more docile, even scorpions from extremely hot enviroments can withstand temperatures below 10C for a considerable time, which is handy for postage in the UK ;)
Maybe I skip this measurement ;) I don't really want to handle them if I don't have to ;)

SpaceHawk

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The best way to measure a live scorp is by buying a drafting compass. Just open it or close to an approx. size and place to the scorp. The dial on the compass is right by your thumb when you hold it, so it is easy to make adjustments. This is the easiest way I have found. Then for the metasoma, since its curled usually, just measure the first segment and times it by five, unless you can get them to straighten it. This way, you don't have to use the fridge to cool them, and you don't have to guees by using a ruler and waiting for them to calm down. I will add some pictures to a new thread of what it is incase anyone has never seen a drafting compass.

ScorpDude

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
use a program called snake measure, basically you take a pic of it next to a ruler, just do a google search for it, its great.