How do I make "Cricket Soup" ?

Kade135

Arachnopeon
I have a Paralyzed T, stung by a Tarantula Hawk, brought to me by another person. Now he's in my care. He is drinking but his abdomen is TINY and a bit shriveled. I think he must eat. How do I make "Cricket Soup" exactly? Step by Step advice? I feel like crushing a cricket is just going to end up with chunks of pieces in it, this T can ONLY drink liquids, so how do I get it liquified? I also have Mealworms if I can make soup out of those... Any advice please on how to make it?

Charlie69

Arachnosquire
Just put the insect on a lid or some flat surface, and crush it as much as you can. If the t eats, it can just leave the pieces.

SchubertHelm

Arachnosquire
That's an interesting situation you have yourself in.

Feeding the T isn't very useful as the T will never regain control of it's motor functions regardless how good the care you provide it is. Tho I imagine you can keep it alive for about a month with no care as this is how long it takes for the tarantula hawk larvae to consume and eventually kill the tarantula.

Putting it out of it's misery wouldn't really apply here because tarantulas don't have the capacity for pain and suffering as they are purely mechanical organisms but if you feel the need to do something about the tarantula's current state you could freeze it. This is a clinical approach that shouldn't put much stress on you and will certainly be a quick and easy death for the tarantula.

Let us know how it goes if you decide to keep the tarantula alive.

Kade135

Arachnopeon
That's an interesting situation you have yourself in.

Feeding the T isn't very useful as the T will never regain control of it's motor functions regardless how good the care you provide it is. Tho I imagine you can keep it alive for about a month with no care as this is how long it takes for the tarantula hawk larvae to consume and eventually kill the tarantula.

Putting it out of it's misery wouldn't really apply here because tarantulas don't have the capacity for pain and suffering as they are purely mechanical organisms but if you feel the need to do something about the tarantula's current state you could freeze it. This is a clinical approach that shouldn't put much stress on you and will certainly be a quick and easy death for the tarantula.

Let us know how it goes if you decide to keep the tarantula alive.
I mean, I've seen a lot of people have T's recover from this, and I've seen some that haven't recovered and ended up dying, but it's not like it's survival is impossible. I want to do what I can to keep it alive, considering there's a chance, and I want to take that chance because like I said, there's been surviving T's out there.

SchubertHelm

Arachnosquire
I mean, I've seen a lot of people have T's recover from this, and I've seen some that haven't recovered and ended up dying, but it's not like it's survival is impossible. I want to do what I can to keep it alive, considering there's a chance, and I want to take that chance because like I said, there's been surviving T's out there.
If there is a chance than why not.

I'd appreciate it if you sent me a link to a case of a T surviving.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
No DON'T let the tarantula die. It will recover. I've read multiple accounts of this on Arachnoboards. I would recommend using mealworms instead of crickets for this, or if you can get ahold of some, use waxworms. Just cut the worm in half and squeeze the guts out into some water, mix it up, and let the spider drink it.

Kade135

Arachnopeon
If there is a chance than why not.

I'd appreciate it if you sent me a link to a case of a T surviving.

This was a very happy case right here, there's plenty more on Arachnoboards I can find as well, but as far as videos here is one ^

SchubertHelm

Arachnosquire
Thanks a lot @Kade135! I would have never known that tarantulas could recover from a tarantula hawk sting if it wasn't for your post.

I've found some of the threads you're referring to. Looks like I have something to read before bed now. :bookworm:

Definitely give us a play by play on your patients progress if you'd be so kind.

MossMan

Arachnopeon
I used mealworm soup for baby katydids a while back. Crush the feeder as much as possible and add a few drops of pineapple juice to help liquefy the feeder. Don't know if pineapple juice would be safe for a T though

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Waxmoths can work as well. Cut off the head and squeeze the innards out, you may not even have to mix it with water.
I have no knowledge whatsoever on pepsis wasp, is it just a sting or do they lay their eggs in the Theraphosid as well?

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
A long time ago something incredibly similar happened to someone else and it took me a long time to dig through my posts to find the thread but I finally did it! OP you should definitely check this thread out.

MossMan

Arachnopeon
Waxmoths can work as well. Cut off the head and squeeze the innards out, you may not even have to mix it with water.
I have no knowledge whatsoever on pepsis wasp, is it just a sting or do they lay their eggs in the Theraphosid as well?
When they sting the T it's just paralysed, the wasp drags it into a hole before an egg is laid

MossMan

Arachnopeon
I have at least 5 species of parasitic wasp in my garden. They're pretty interesting to watch, I've seen quite a few sparassids meet their premature deaths by the larger species

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I have at least 5 species of parasitic wasp in my garden. They're pretty interesting to watch, I've seen quite a few sparassids meet their premature deaths by the larger species
I don't know, there is something about those parasitic wasps that gives me the shivers. Not a fan of any wasps tbh, but to each their own :)

emyates96

Arachnopeon
Found this feed while looking for some bug "soup" recipes. Now I have to know.. what happened to the tarantula??