how do i know if my chilean rose will bite??

princess_lover

Arachnopeon
You guy have been very helpful. no one really handles her but me and my boyfriend and he won't handle her very often because he doesn't know when he might accidently squish her or something so if hes really relaxed then he holds her which is not very often. I do love to handle her and shes a busy little lady.. she just walks and and walks then she stops for about a minute and keeps on walking. shes great.... my boyfriend said shes probably just hungry thats why shes been acting weird so i fed her and now shes back to normal..

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I Don't handle any of mine. Haven't had a reason to since my Ornamental attack. Kinda spooked me a bit, but from what I understand so far is that you handling the T isn't the problem, it's the potential that it will spook you, you drop it, and you get a busted abdomen... Also, as I have read, but from no personal experience, a rosie venom isn't much to write home about. :) Yeah, keeping a thing with fangs that you have to invate it's space sometimes, you'll ALWAYS have a potential to be bitten, but common sense will cut the odds of that happening.

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
How big is she by the way? Just a note incase it wasn't mentioned here or elsewhere, when you or your bf hold her, make sure you're sitting down, preferably on the floor so that way, if she or the person handling her, does get spooked, she won't fall very far and will be less likely to hurt herself.

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Soi was wondering if anyone here has been bitten and if so how does it feel and what made him/her feel scared enough to bite.
Take 2 needles and jab them into your hand~ then you'll know what a G rosea bite feels like. It will be sore and may bruise too.
As far as "knowing" when it will bite, that's hard to say sometimes but if it gives you a threat display, my guess is it's gonna bite ya. Everyone here is right about G roseas being fairly docile but there are some exceptions to that. If yours has been handled before then I would say it is unlikely you will get bit unless it feels threatened in some way.

YZFR1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Diane S said:
. Everyone here is right about G roseas being fairly docile but there are some exceptions to that. If yours has been handled before then I would say it is unlikely you will get bit unless it feels threatened in some way.
Ive had one for about 5 weeks now. So far she is the BOSS!...lol
She has struck at me quite a few times...Its hard to explain her personality....She will sort of "non shalantly" walk up to what ever I'm using then put a leg or 2 on it, then slowly open her fangs and then sometimes bite. Its like she's trying to trick me or somthing..lol Like whe wants to walk up to me and give me a hug then PUNCH ME IN THE FACE real fast or somthin. Fortunately I've never been bit. I guess that I have one of those few eh?

princess_lover

Arachnopeon
her size!

well shes not very big shes about 2 and a half inches by about 3 inches.. i am not at home so i can't measure her but shes tiny anyways...

something someone said caught my attition.. you said that she/he will put out their fangs but will not bite? i thought that they just attack once their fangs are on the loose...

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In my experience, my Ts will lift the first 2 (or 4) legs to show you that they don't want to be handled. If I keep messing with them they will open their chelicera a bit and show their fangs. Pretty good indicator to me. Sometimes, if I'm persistant they will let me pick them up. Others I won't mess with them after the showing fangs thing. Just depends.

jessica

Arachnopeon
I live with my boyfriend and he owns 2 Spiders one being a rose. I am very scared of them however I felt sorry for her as she had no water in her tank and thought seeing as I had been told that she was a docile spider and it was unlikely for her to bite I should top the water up a little bit for her. I put my hand in her tank I got distracted for a second and felt a sudden burning sensation on the bottom half of my finger. My boyfriend later told me she hadn't been fed for a while and I was silly for sticking my hand in the tank I think she thought that my finger may have been food and just nipped it as I turned around. I wont be putting my hand in her tank again as it was quite painfull!!

Last edited:

Mez

Arachnoknight
Honestly, if you're scared, there's motre chance of you hurting it than it is damaging you. You'd need to be allergic to the specific venom, which is very rare, although you already stated it fell, falls can really injure a T usually in the form of splitting/damaging the abdomen.
Your friends are just winding you up, if you are happy with your new pet without holding it, remember you don't have to hold it!

LadySharon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
*sigh* got half when through and relized it's a 6 year old thread.

Blaksheep13

Arachnopeon
As you should be, which is my point ;) People never consider "what if my dog/cat/hamster/plecosthamus bites me." Even though it's a real possibility if you upset any pet. They worry about spiders, I assume, for two reasons:

They're venomous. (Ok, good reason, but in the case of a mildly venomous animal like G. Rosea, that works to your advantage. The only teeth it has are those two little fangs, so the tissue damage is minimal)

They're creepy. (Yep, I really think it's a case of society's prejudice against arachnids that gets people worrying about this. The 'man is trying to keep our pets down.)

I do admit that the whole "spiders are creepy" thing got to me at some point; not that I was scared of them, but I kept my distance, and didn't particularly like them either. I tend to be stronger in logic than most, so it didn't take long after learning a little about them for me to change my mind. I've since found that they're intriguing, basically harmless, and likeable (that's important in a pet).

I have a healthy respect for any spider, as with any other animal, but they're nothing to fear, and can be charming animals.

Chris
Sir, your replies are phenomenal. Thank you for your insight. Your comments make me much more comfortable with my G Rosea.