How do i get MM to make sperm web?

Yasuri

Arachnopeon
So, the title pretty much sums it up..

I am pretty new to breeding, i have never seen my male a.geniculata ever produce a sperm web or even web for that matter, i did get when he was mature too, currently have a female waiting also..

Thank you.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You could try playing some Barry White, spike the crickets with a little red wine, maybe lower the lights and show him pictures of a hot lady spider slowly slipping out of her exoskeleton...?

Or just wait until he does it on his own. As far as I know, you really can't do anything to encourage him to create a sperm web - he'll just do it when he's ready. (And he might have already done it - possibly even more than once. Sperm webs are pretty small to begin with - and the male usually destroys the sperm web after he's finished with it, so it doesn't just stay there like a pop-up timer to let you know that he's ready.)

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
How long has he been mature? MMs live longer than their ability to produce sperm webs. So if he's already been mature for several months, he might already be 'past his prime'.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Take a little bit of webbing out of a mature female's enclosure and put it in his. I've heard more than one person say that their males made a sperm web almost instantly after doing that. Personally, I think that is was just a coincidence, but it is worth a try.
Also, put their enclosures side by side in the hopes he can detect her pheromones.

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How long has he been mature? MMs live longer than their ability to produce sperm webs. So if he's already been mature for several months, he might already be 'past his prime'.
I think this is the real question... it can take them a number of weeks after maturing to make their first sperm web and they do lose vitality/stop making them completely after a while. Any clue on the date of your male's ultimate molt? How long have you had it? If you bought it mature, then perhaps it already loaded its palps under the previous owner's care?

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
I find sign language effective when communicating with T's

Jk, there's not really any way to make him construct one, but the the suggestion about adding some of the female's webbing to his enclosure sounds like a good idea

Theneil

Arachnoprince
I have noticed that it is often that a male will produce a sperm web within 24 hours of eating, and in a conersation with a breeder i know, they mentioned that shortly after drinking, MMs will often make a sperm web.

Additionally, usually within a couple days after pairing, the male will usually make a new one also.

SharkBoy1120

Arachnopeon
I've got 1 mature female and 1 mature male curlyhairs and I honestly didn't even think about it, I just put them side by side on the curly hair shelf (i also have 3 juveniles and 2 slings...great deal at repticon) anyways, about 2 weeks after placing them side by side, I actually caught him making a sperm web. Thought he was going to molt at first until a series of people on facebook told me otherwise..

Also yes, I know it's very uncommon for mature males to molt again, but it does happen and at first it really looked like a molt mat