1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do i get MM to make sperm web?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Yasuri, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Yasuri

Yasuri Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    So, the title pretty much sums it up..

I am pretty new to breeding, i have never seen my male a.geniculata ever produce a sperm web or even web for that matter, i did get when he was mature too, currently have a female waiting also..

Thank you.

2. chanda

chanda Arachnoprince Active Member

You could try playing some Barry White, spike the crickets with a little red wine, maybe lower the lights and show him pictures of a hot lady spider slowly slipping out of her exoskeleton...?

Or just wait until he does it on his own. As far as I know, you really can't do anything to encourage him to create a sperm web - he'll just do it when he's ready. (And he might have already done it - possibly even more than once. Sperm webs are pretty small to begin with - and the male usually destroys the sperm web after he's finished with it, so it doesn't just stay there like a pop-up timer to let you know that he's ready.)

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Love Love x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. ShyDragoness

ShyDragoness Arachnoknight Active Member

Take him on a date, obviously

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. EtienneN

EtienneN Arachnonovelist-musician-artist Arachnosupporter

How long has he been mature? MMs live longer than their ability to produce sperm webs. So if he's already been mature for several months, he might already be 'past his prime'.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. VanessaS

VanessaS Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

Take a little bit of webbing out of a mature female's enclosure and put it in his. I've heard more than one person say that their males made a sperm web almost instantly after doing that. Personally, I think that is was just a coincidence, but it is worth a try.
    Also, put their enclosures side by side in the hopes he can detect her pheromones.

• Like Like x 1
  6. korg

korg Arachnobaron

I think this is the real question... it can take them a number of weeks after maturing to make their first sperm web and they do lose vitality/stop making them completely after a while. Any clue on the date of your male's ultimate molt? How long have you had it? If you bought it mature, then perhaps it already loaded its palps under the previous owner's care?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. RezonantVoid

RezonantVoid Hollow Knight Arachnosupporter

I find sign language effective when communicating with T's

Jk, there's not really any way to make him construct one, but the the suggestion about adding some of the female's webbing to his enclosure sounds like a good idea

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Theneil

Theneil Arachnoprince Active Member

USA
    I have noticed that it is often that a male will produce a sperm web within 24 hours of eating, and in a conersation with a breeder i know, they mentioned that shortly after drinking, MMs will often make a sperm web.

Additionally, usually within a couple days after pairing, the male will usually make a new one also.