1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I deal with a dead feeder I can't reach?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Urzeitmensch, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Urzeitmensch

Urzeitmensch Arachnosquire Active Member

Germany
    Advertisement
    Pretty much the title. My N. Tripepii formes her enclosure into one big burrow. I dropped a superworm with crushed head into the entrance of the burrow so I can remove it if necessary.

However, she dragged it deep into the burrow right to the bottom. I couls see it through a "window" in the substrate. I tried to remove it with thongs by digfinf a small hole from above but failed and only burrowed it more. It is now there for about a week, the T molted in the meantime.

Should I redo the enclosure to get the feeser or leave it there?

Picture of the enclosure. (the superworm is on the very right bottom, not visible from this perspective):
    IMG-20190701-WA0004.jpg

2. BoyFromLA

BoyFromLA ‎٩(ˊᗜˋ*)و Arachnosupporter

CA
    Leave it I would say.

3. Goopyguy56

Goopyguy56 Arachnobaron

Ohio
    Yeah I wouldn't fuss about it. It might push it out once it has hardened up a bit. I would hope it wouldn't eat it if it is rotten.

4. korg

korg Arachnobaron

Like others said, no real reason to be concerned here. A little mold from leftover feeders, spider waste, general moisture, etc is common and won't hurt anything. If you really, really want to get this old feeder out for whatever reason I think a good strategy is keep your tongs closed and wiggle them down through the substrate like a spear until they hit the thing you're trying to remove. Open the tongs, grab the item, and pull it back up through the substrate.

Am besten bleibt der Tanga under der Kleidung.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnoprince Old Timer

You dont deal with it! It is not the end of the world that a dead feeder is in tge enclosure

6. Tessa Clifton

Tessa Clifton Arachnopeon Active Member

As long as it doesn't start to stink or mold, it shouldn't be a big deal. I wouldn't dig her up just to get at it.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. BoyFromLA

BoyFromLA ‎٩(ˊᗜˋ*)و Arachnosupporter

CA
    Or better yet, put some springtails so they can deal with the dead feeders for you.

8. Urzeitmensch

Urzeitmensch Arachnosquire Active Member

Germany
    Update: The problem is "solved". Just got up and checked on the Ts. She is eating the superworm atm, which is really gross, considering it is now about a week dead. She is looking right at me, which she never does. I think she is mocking me.

And thx korg, I will try tongs in the future, it was really hard grabbing the feeders with those panties :D

• Funny Funny x 1