How did your tarantulas get their names?

SageExotics

Arachnopeon
Oh yeah, my old Rose is a rose hair, so that’s obvious.
My GBB is named Mosag, which is Aragog’s (giant spider) wife from Harry Potter. Her web displays remind me of the scene where they were in Aragog’s lair.
My OBT is named Timothy, because that’s the first name that popped into my head when I bought him.

I’ve also got a jumping spider named Shelob, which is the name of the giant spider in Lord of the Rings.

I’m waiting for a nice T. Blondi or L. Parahybana to name Aragog, for their size of course.

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
I still can't get into the Watering Hole. I might try again and start a Stargate appreciation thread.

Sorry for hijacking this thread!
If you just joined, it might take a little bit 'til it'll let you in. A Stargate appreciation thread would be very much appreciate :D.

Last edited:

Sykomp

Arachnopeon
I just name my every T with a name that would fit a fancy lady (no matter if they're unsexed, haha), so far I have Lucille, Amanda, Beatrice, Isabel and Esmeralda. I just find it somehow hilarious for them to have such names, it's the opposite of what I am doing with my mammal pets (for example my rabbit is called "mr. Waffles").

Also... Especially funny when I have visitors, making those terrified faces in front of my enclosures.
"Oh yeah, that's my little Beatrice, isn't she a beauty? :)"

miamc12321

Arachnopeon
We are very corny and cliche. We name all of ours from favorite movies or books. Leela (Futurama), Tormund (Game of Thrones), Bilbo (The Hobbit), Bean (Ender's Game), Chewy (does it even need to be said?).

Marika

Arachnoangel
I just wanted cute and/or silly names. My Ts are:

G. pulchra - Hirmu (means "monster")
H. sp. fire - Oikku ("quirk")
A. eutylenum - Tassu ("paw")
A. bicoloratum - Hippu ("nugget" - like a gold nugget, not a chicken nugget, lol)
G. rosea - Hali ("hug")

Luka98

Arachnosquire
I planned on giving famous people name puns to my tarantulas (eg. Quentin Tarantulino, Will Smithi, for a pet hole T something like Rad Pitt) but i ended up naming my B albo Teddy and my c versi Aurora Borealis.

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
A. bicoloratum - Hippu ("nugget" - like a gold nugget, not a chicken nugget, lol)
That's so cute, I love that name. I think I would like that name if it was named after a gold nugget or a chicken nugget, lol.

Mychajlo

Arachnosquire
My:
C. Vonwirthi ( Sassy ) - on account of her attitude

T. Stirmi ( Majesty ) - on account of her being huge and Queen

H. Maculata ( Clarice ) - named after the silence of the lambs

A. Chalcodes ( Pickle ) - I thought it was cute like her

C. Marshalli ( Nikyta) - gender neutral Slavic name cause I got her as a sling and I’m Ukrainian

A. Semanni ( Holly ) - just thought it was a cute name

P. Regalis ( Madison ) - named after the AHS Coven, Madison Montgomery
A65933E0-50F1-4716-9F2C-9AC082E3C9D2.jpeg 34E4665A-BEA2-4318-AD71-AF46B2C19BF0.jpeg 36AC49AF-9E34-4D95-9FEF-C77CE15E6225.jpeg F7F9EF32-D2CA-41EB-83AD-CBF3DC81CC68.jpeg D8BDBE06-35E1-4972-A8C6-58AB93FB1222.jpeg 5B0B44C0-CBDC-4BFB-BC55-53D209C7BD21.jpeg BB000557-8ABF-4D40-8CEE-9C209CBDA9DA.jpeg

92qwerty

Arachnopeon
My curly hair, unsexed - Aragog
B.Hamorii, female - Hermoine
A.Kwitara, female - Luna (she sit on the glass at the top left looking like the moon in a country scene at sunset, hence luna and the harry potter theme follwed, the names all seemed to fit.

A.Avic, poss female - missy
My first t and i would say while looking at her " what you up to missy". And it stuck.

And lastly
2 2cm avic puru purple slings named just as itsy n bitsy till the grow

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
Most of mine that have names aren't named after anything in particular, just a name that popped into my head. The 2 exceptions are Skitter (E. uatuman) because I had never seen a tiny sling skitter up the side of its enclosure so fast I almost didn't have time to react and Mr. Bitey (P. cancerides) which is self explanatory.

Luka98

Arachnosquire
I planned on giving famous people name puns to my tarantulas (eg. Quentin Tarantulino, Will Smithi, for a pet hole T something like Rad Pitt) but i ended up naming my B albo Teddy and my c versi Aurora Borealis.
Update: A. Geniculata has been named Whiteknee Houston

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
My A. chalcodes is named Kate after the John Entwistle song Roller Skate Kate. And I have about a half dozen other Entwistle related T names for when I inevitably get more.

ComputerDellLI

Arachnopeon
H. maculata Female (Asante) - named after the kingdom who lived in Togo and Ghana
H. maculata Male (Ponda Baba/Artemis) - I raised this one from a sling, calling him which was sold as a S. cal, 'Artemis' He lost two of his front legs charging his lid and the name from Star Wars stuck.
H. pulchripes un-sexed (Sleipnir)- Named after the Norse god Odin's eight legged steed
S. calceatum un-sexed (Gelimer)- Named after the last king of the Vandals
C. marshalli Female (Avarice)- Kind of a cross between gluttony and greed, because she never stops eating, and she destroyed my wallet
P. muticus Female (Rufinia)- named after the latin feminine for 'red-headed' or 'ruddy'
A. chalcodes Female (Strawberry Rhubarb)- because she's a 'strawberry blonde'.

moshpitpanda

Arachnosquire
Right now since mine isnt sexed i have come up with a few gender neutral names or names that have a feminine / masculine version like Alexander(ia)

Katiekooleyes

Arachnosquire
P. Ornata: Wednesday. When I first got her, people kept asking me what she was like. As she was a sling, I often described her as an angry ball of lint lol. As you can imagine, the name Wednesday came from the grumpy Addams daughter of the same name.

Cherri

Arachnopeon
G. Rosea (RIP): first T and i wanted was told he was a female and i wanted to name him something cute, so i pickled Muffet.
A henzi (RIP): Nooth after the band Noothgrush. Idk my bf named him. My boyfriend likes goofy names or naming them after crust and sludge bands.
B hamorri: Quelaag. She's black and red and Dark Souls is my favorite game series after silent hill.
A seemani: Lefty. I don't know my boyfriend named her after the hamburger helper glove. We're vegans too, so.
Avicularia metallica: Barbra. Her pink toes made me think of some lady working in HR with fluffy hair and pink acrylic nails.
G pulchra: Jingles. I just wanted to give her a cat name for some reason. And shes a sweetie.
G pulchra 2: Shelob. I'm a huge LotR fan
P irminia: Skarp. It sounds crusty and primal and "viscous" like the genus.
P irminia sling: Virus after a member of a band called Amebix
Vinegaroon: Rip. Bf named her, because he really likes her.
Emperor Scorpion: Tark. A Dark Souls 2 NPC who's a scorpion.

Pumpkin Patch and b hamorri (female) need names. And possible, maybe, soon, future gooty sling. :)