how can i make distilled water safe for frog

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
I mean, what are you trying to achieve? RO isn't "better" water or anything, it just serves a different purpose. If you're already conditioning tap water, just use that.
Sorry if I'm hijacking OP's thread. My reasons might differ from thiers.
I mostly just want to avoid hard water stains from heavy misting or water features.
I have hard, hard water.
I do use conditioned/aged tap water for my inverts, but they dont get misted very often or very much.

I'm barley researching dart/tree frogs and wasn't aware that RODI/distilled water might be bad for them, but what I've been reading it looks like it might be safe to use. People on the dendro forum make some strong arguments for it.

MasterOogway

Arachnoknight
I'm on dendroboard (and have been since 2011 :) was a casual peruser before that) and have not seen super strong arguments for using RO/DI for tad/soaking water. You really should only be using it for your misting system and that's all. I will grant you though if your water is super hard you may have a compelling reason to find alternative sources. Even with that though, I'd be re-constituting RO/DI water before using it as water that frogs/tads have access too. Otherwise you could probably find tap water to buy by the gallon and still have it be significantly cheaper and easier.

Dandrobates

Arachnoknight
To the OP,

The simplest answer for your situation is to just use bottled water. I keep well over 30 frogs of various species and locales and I use RO for some situations and bottled for others. For your purpose just go with bottled. A wet paper towel will remove hard water stains and so will a little vinegar and elbow grease.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I'm on dendroboard (and have been since 2011 :) was a casual peruser before that) and have not seen super strong arguments for using RO/DI for tad/soaking water.
A case could be made for an exception there with the toxic sludge our municipality delivers calling it 'water'. Let's see, shallow well, check. Under a stream that collects runoff from dairies, check. Stream surrounded by farms that use a combination of all legal and several illegal pesticides and herbicides, check. No chlorination or other growth retardant used, check. Stored water often kept between 30-35 C, check. No sedimentation ponds or galleries, check. ...
The most recent water samples I sent to the lab could not be cultured. Three fungi grew so fast they prevented accurate incubation of other micro-organisms. However a partial distillation process was able to determine e-coli and two or more strains of staph were present.

MasterOogway

Arachnoknight
A case could be made for an exception there with the toxic sludge our municipality delivers calling it 'water'. Let's see, shallow well, check. Under a stream that collects runoff from dairies, check. Stream surrounded by farms that use a combination of all legal and several illegal pesticides and herbicides, check. No chlorination or other growth retardant used, check. Stored water often kept between 30-35 C, check. No sedimentation ponds or galleries, check. ...
The most recent water samples I sent to the lab could not be cultured. Three fungi grew so fast they prevented accurate incubation of other micro-organisms. However a partial distillation process was able to determine e-coli and two or more strains of staph were present.
:yuck::yuck::wideyed: Yeah, that sounds pretty compelling.