how can i make distilled water safe for frog

basin79

ArachnoGod
what can i put in distilled water to make it safe for whites tree frog
I wouldn't bother. There are things you can add but you might as well just by a water treatment liquid and just use tap water. A lot easier and probably cheaper.

Or prepare water in advanced. I think it takes 24 hours for chlorine to disperse in water when water is open to air.

I myself just use a water treatment for my tiger salamander and cane toad.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Distilled water is already safe for frogs. All the chemicals and minerals have been boiled out:)

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
2"x10" candle water filters with housings are cheap, ~$35-$50 each. Polypro removes sediment, Carbon block removes chlorine and metals, ceramic removes spores and most micro-organims and resin removes tastes and odors. An acceptable equivalent to distilled water with treated municipal water supplies for animals is just a carbon block. Augment depending upon what crud is in your water. All will normally supply at least 2500 gallons of water before needing replacement. Use in the following order: Poly->carbon->resin (if needed)->ceramic. If sterilized water is desired add UV at the end of the line. RO can be substituted for the UV.
A decent small filtration system can keep your animals in all the clean water they need plus give you quality drinking water.

Last edited:

toenailsoup

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't bother. There are things you can add but you might as well just by a water treatment liquid and just use tap water. A lot easier and probably cheaper.

Or prepare water in advanced. I think it takes 24 hours for chlorine to disperse in water when water is open to air.

I myself just use a water treatment for my tiger salamander and cane toad.
yeah but i already bought 5

basin79

ArachnoGod
Distilled water is already safe for frogs. All the chemicals and minerals have been boiled out:)
Yes it's safe but it's not suitable. All the minerals have been removed. Frogs need certain minerals that's in water.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Yes it's safe but it's not suitable. All the minerals have been removed. Frogs need certain minerals that's in water.
I disagree. In the dart frog hobby it is wisely accepted to use either distilled or reverse osmosis water for the frogs, with no minerals added back in afterwards and then supplement the food with a high quality calcium supplement (like repashy calcium plus)

Also tap water can contain chloramine that doesn't evaporate off and can only be chemically treated. I dislike the idea of using more chemicals to neutralize the chemicals in tap water and then using they work sensitive animals.

bulbophyllum

Arachnosquire
You can google things like this. There are additives to remineralize water. They sell them at the fish strores. Seachem Equilibrium is one of them.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I disagree. In the dart frog hobby it is wisely accepted to use either distilled or reverse osmosis water for the frogs, with no minerals added back in afterwards and then supplement the food with a high quality calcium supplement (like repashy calcium plus)

Also tap water can contain chloramine that doesn't evaporate off and can only be chemically treated. I dislike the idea of using more chemicals to neutralize the chemicals in tap water and then using they work sensitive animals.
Interesting. Cheers for that information.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
I jist fill up emtpy 1 gallon milk jugs with tap water and wait a couple days for all my pets.

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
I jist fill up emtpy 1 gallon milk jugs with tap water and wait a couple days for all my pets.
Depending on how your water is treated, this may or may not be effective at making the water "safe"
Some water treatment programs use chlorine which will off-gas, but others (like my own municipal water supply) use chloramine which remains in solution unless an additive is used to break the bonds.

In neither case is this relevant to the original question. I am however curious what makes the OP ask to begin with - why WOULDN'T distilled water be safe, (given that appropriate other sources of calcium are provided as suggested elsewhere in this thread)?

MasterOogway

Arachnoknight
I disagree with RO/DI water being widely used in the dart hobby, at least in the hobby circles I float around in, except for misters. Most folks I know use aged and/or treated tap water for water that the frogs have a chance to submerse themselves in . I wouldn't use RO/DI as that definitely has the potential to suck some minerals out of the frogs skin, with their skin being so permeable. You should reconstitute water for use in frogs and tads if it's RO/DI. I especially wouldn't use it for tads without re-constituting; at least add in some Indian Almond leaf to put some tannins back in the water if you're raising species that need that. The chloramine info is spot on though, aging will not break those down, you need something like stress coat or Prime to do that.

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
I disagree with RO/DI water being widely used in the dart hobby, at least in the hobby circles I float around in, except for misters. Most folks I know use aged and/or treated tap water for water that the frogs have a chance to submerse themselves in . I wouldn't use RO/DI as that definitely has the potential to suck some minerals out of the frogs skin, with their skin being so permeable. You should reconstitute water for use in frogs and tads if it's RO/DI. I especially wouldn't use it for tads without re-constituting; at least add in some Indian Almond leaf to put some tannins back in the water if you're raising species that need that. The chloramine info is spot on though, aging will not break those down, you need something like stress coat or Prime to do that.
I don't keep frogs, so was unaware of the potential to leach minerals. Thanks for the knowledge! (Which may be useful as I've been toying with the idea of setting up a bioactive vivarium with darts and possibly mourning geckos)

MasterOogway

Arachnoknight
It's not the end all-be all of dart frog husbandry, tbf. But I don't feel like I need to add any more stress to my life (or my frogs) by giving them hypotonic water. It's also part of the reason why when amphibs are feeling 'under the weather' we give them a isotonic/hypertonic solution like Amphibian Ringers solution. Just helps keep minerals and salts where they're supposed to be, in the frog's bodies :). There are lots of areas to go wrong on dart frog husbandry, but RO/DI vs tap water is a pretty small one, long term. Proper ventilation and supplementation along with accurate temperatures are more important, IMHO. Darts are great though, and hands down my favorite animal keeping hobby. I'd avoid a mixed species tank with darts though until you've kept them for a couple of years and have a solid grasp on their behaviors and needs; that way when you DO decide to do a mixed species tank it's easier to recognize stressors and frogs that may not then be thriving.

The Snark

Old Timer
@MasterOogway While you are at it, you might as well touch on the more mundane, pH, viscosity, dissolved gasses, trace elements and beneficial micro-organisms.
Oh what a tangle web we weave when first we practice to replace a natural environment with a synthetic one.

MasterOogway

Arachnoknight
@MasterOogway While you are at it, you might as well touch on the more mundane, pH, viscosity, dissolved gasses, trace elements and beneficial micro-organisms.
Oh what a tangle web we weave when first we practice to replace a natural environment with a synthetic one.
Don't tempt me. :D

The Snark

Old Timer
Don't tempt me.
Consider yourself tempted.
I worked for a summer on a trout farm. Closed system, filtration, O2, pH and N constant monitoring, sediment and effluent extraction galleries, constant temperature (46 F) and the power company blew their pump motors up. So we switched over to raw water from a running stream that trout thrived in. 45,000 fish died in 2-4 weeks. In this case is was Hexamatiasis and the bred fish had zero resistance to secondary infection(s).

Last edited:

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
Would cutting RO/distilled water with some conditioned tap water help with that?

MasterOogway

Arachnoknight
Would cutting RO/distilled water with some conditioned tap water help with that?
I mean, what are you trying to achieve? RO isn't "better" water or anything, it just serves a different purpose. If you're already conditioning tap water, just use that.