How can I get into the hobby???

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Now I'm looking at the Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens (Greenbottle blue)
I think the GBB is doable for beginners, provided you have no intention of handling. GBBs tend to be skittish. Handling it would pose a risk of escape or injury (to the tarantula). While they are fast, in my experience, they tend to retreat into their webbing rather than make a bid for freedom.

This is a hardy species that is kept dry, so maintenance is pretty easy, and you won't have issues with mold or mite explosions.

Provide lots of anchor points for webbing. Use tongs for all maintenance. (This is a good habit to develop, as tarantulas may strike at tongs, and it reduces your exposure to urticating hairs.)

Thanks all for the advice, hoping to get my first T this week although I need to find a solution for feeders first, I don't have a local pet shop that sells them, unfortunately, will probably look online or if any of you have suggestions for that as well, that would be greatly appreciated
For a single tarantula, it's not worth maintaining a colony of feeder insects. Just buy feeders as needed.

If you can't find them locally, order some mealworms (the larvae of darkling beetles). You can keep them dormant in the refrigerator, and they will last for months.

While I also have dubia roaches, my slings primarily get mealworms, as they are a fatty meal that promotes growth.

don't know where can I buy one or how to get in touch with breeders
Check out our Classifieds section. You'll find lots of spiders for sale by businesses and hobbyists. (You can't post replies in the Classifieds section. Contact the seller by sending a private message or using whatever contact method is specified in the thread or on the reviews page.)

If you are looking for a particular species, search Classifieds for the scientific name. The genus name is often abbreviated to the first initial, so if you are not finding results with the binomial, such as Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, try just the species name, such as cyaneopubescens. (Be aware that there are some species that share the same species name but belong to different genera, so check the genus before ordering.)

Whether you're buying from someone here or another Web site, you should read reviews here before ordering. (When you're reading a classified ad, you can quickly find the seller's review page by clicking the user name and then clicking "Reviews & Reports Page.") Don't forget to post a review after the transaction is complete.

Google is another way to find red flags, but I would disregard positive reviews on any site where the company being reviewed has editorial control (for example, on the company's Web site or on a Facebook page owned or moderated by the company).

Note: Many people recommend against buying spiders from stores that primarily deal in reptiles, as they often don't know what they are doing, and it's anyone's guess whether you will receive the species and gender you ordered.

aphono

Arachnobaron
Its been in a condiment cup with about 2" substrate. It always eats, just never molts. Its maybe 2" at most, the spider.
I also have another G. pulchripes started from 1/2" acquired at almost the same time but was kept in AMAC box with deep sub.. it burrowed down immediately and was in habit of sealing off burrow for weeks at a time so it ate far less often and grew slower.. it's 2"-2-1/2"ish or so. The other one pictured above was in condiment cup with 1/2" substrate and never burrowed(it dug out a space under the shelter in the current enclosure though). The difference in size is amazing for sure. I've started to keep especially slings of slower growing terrestrial species in condiment cups with just enough substrate for this reason.

I thought they grew fairly fast. Until someone gave a freebie OBT... geez, that thing seems to grow an inch per month! Slight exaggeration but still.

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
There is so much more good advice (here) than when I started many years ago.

The grammostola rosea, and grammostola pulchra would be first on my list if I started out today. But the list of potential firsts is pretty long.

Keep in mind how big they will get when fully developed.

Post pictures of your enclosure, and this group will steer you in the right direction for set up and care.

aphono

Arachnobaron
Good on you for doing your research Draqon.

Dang, that's some seriously growth! What temp do you keep them at?
They're in the living room so they got room temps. During spring & winter, as low as 65F, occasionally down to 62 when I did not realize it was going to be a colder night. 70-72ish days. Summers are super hot- 110-120F so the AC has to be on.. usually 72-75F days during the summer. During the nice period in between summer heat and winter chill(inland So. Calif) with no heat or AC it can be 65-80ish.

JBarbaresi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Where are you in Texas? There may be a small pet shop you don't know about that carries exotics. There is also a HERP Convention in Conroe the weekend of June 9-10th, should be plenty to choose from there.

My GBB is one of my favorite Ts. He/she has it's own little personality, awesome eater, great webber, and not skittish in the least bit. It's main den is inside this piece of round cork bark, but he sits at the foot of it as picture below most of the day, every day, just waiting for prey. He is rarely in hiding at all ad I have him in a 2.5 gallon tank on display in our living room. It's probably too big based on what most people would recommend, but he will stalk prey all over the tank and seems to enjoy the space. Really cool spider to own and watch.

Draqon

Arachnopeon
I live in Palestine, I believe Conroe is around 2 hours away, but tbh that’s not that far of a drive, they have it on a site somewhere or do you happen to know ticket prices to get in. And thanks everyone for all the information, I don’t quite have a setup for a bigger T but I setup 2 setups for slings but from what I been seeing online the containers I’m using are bigger than most people use for slings. So far I’ve decided to get a GBB but also want the Euathlus sp. red (Chilean Flame).

JBarbaresi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I live in Palestine, I believe Conroe is around 2 hours away, but tbh that’s not that far of a drive, they have it on a site somewhere or do you happen to know ticket prices to get in. And thanks everyone for all the information, I don’t quite have a setup for a bigger T but I setup 2 setups for slings but from what I been seeing online the containers I’m using are bigger than most people use for slings. So far I’ve decided to get a GBB but also want the Euathlus sp. red (Chilean Flame).
http://www.herpshow.net/

Slings really don’t need a whole bunch of space depending on how small they are. Until they are well established with eating and such you’re better to err on the side of caution. If you have a hobby lobby or “the container store” near you there are lots of real cheap options for nicer looking containers you can use if you don’t want to stick with deli containers.

Draqon

Arachnopeon
12DF3E13-722C-4B8E-A54A-7BDE126E8076.jpeg 30BB3473-2CED-4859-8A81-0BF23303EB3E.jpeg
This is what I have setup just playing around with the enclosure but not entirely sure what I want yet.
http://www.herpshow.net/

Slings really don’t need a whole bunch of space depending on how small they are. Until they are well established with eating and such you’re better to err on the side of caution. If you have a hobby lobby or “the container store” near you there are lots of real cheap options for nicer looking containers you can use if you don’t want to stick with deli containers.

JBarbaresi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
View attachment 276058 View attachment 276059
This is what I have setup just playing around with the enclosure but not entirely sure what I want yet.
Those would work for a while, but once the sling starts webbing it up it’s going to be pretty hard to see in and observe anything, which you are definitely going to want to do with your first few slings.

The container store has these acrylic boxes in a bunch of different sizes and styles. They run from $1-$4 and work perfectly after you drill a few holes in them.

Terrestrial.
https://www.containerstore.com/s/clear-flush-lid-amac-boxes/d?productId=10028594&q=Clear box

Arboreal.
https://www.containerstore.com/s/clear-amac-boxes/d?productId=10003497&q=amac boxes

Last edited:

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Those airholes look a little big for a sling. You want airholes to be smaller than the width of the carapace, these guys are surprisingly good at squeezing through small spaces.

The container store has these acrylic boxes in a bunch of different sizes and styles. They run from $1-$4 and work perfectly after you drill a few holes in them.
Those things are great. Here's one of mine. I put an upside down deli cup in the bottom so that my Ts will burrow along the sides where I can watch them. Takes some practice to drill airholes in them without cracking the acrylic, I hear a soldering iron is a much easier method.

Attachments

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
G. pulchripes is a great beginner spider, but they do grow slowly. You can have a sling for a long time.
I have three G. pulchripes and they've grown well in the past year since getting them. Started out a little smaller than 0.5" and they are now between 2.5"- 3.5". I know there are some sp. that grow faster, but my experience with them hasn't been slow growth. Their growth will likely slow down as they get bigger, but as slings, they grew pretty fast.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I like those tall containers for burrowing slings. Example (C. fimbriatus), who just molted and seriously outgrew the container.
C2554ECA-EBD6-484D-B0FE-C397DAE24648.jpeg
I raised my B. vagans in one of these, as an example of a beginner burrowing species.