1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how can i cure this mycosis out of my H. arizonensis?

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by iyrsw0122, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Advertisement
    IMG1502.jpg
    can you see the black ones on the tails? it got 2 of it and it was sort like that from the time i have bought it
    is there any cure of curing the mycosis?

2. Michiel

Michiel Arachnoking Old Timer

You can't really cure these spots the fungus causes.....You can prevent further development, by keeping the specimen as dry as possible........just provide some drinking water once a month or so, and no spraying.....

3. +1 for Michiel, it really is just an eye sore. You can only cure further development.

4. snippy

snippy Arachnobaron

In this case maybe, but when the mycosis spreads to the book lungs or similar it's "adieu"!

Regards
    Finn

5. Galapoheros

Galapoheros ArachnoGod Old Timer

texas
    Yeah the fungus may be dead and gone by now, it could be only something like a scar left. But going by the size of that mealworm, it has some molting to do so if the molting goes OK it should molt damage like that off and you should get what looks like a new, bigger scorpion without the black spots.

6. But isnt uv light available for killing fungus?

7. AzJohn

AzJohn Arachnoking Old Timer

If it kills the fungus it can't be too good for the scorpion. Prolonged exposure to UV light damages the skin of the scorpion.

8. UV light is not that bad for scorpions :)

9. AzJohn

AzJohn Arachnoking Old Timer

Search dangers of UV light. A lot of black light dealers post warnings about the dangers of looking directly into the light. UV light strong enough to make a scorpion glow or kill germs is way stronger than anything they would encounter in nature. From what I understand UV light damages the exoskeleton in scorpions and other inverts. Too much UV light would damage your skin and eyes, why would we think that it wouldn't be bad for scorpions.

10. Hmmm is giving UVB tan for my scorpions 1 hour a day harmless?

11. Roblicious

Roblicious Arachnodemon

scorpions are sometimes exposed to sunlight in the wild, dont see how some natural sunlight could do it harm, if anything it would just run and hide until its gone.

12. D3N2

D3N2 Arachnosquire

I don't think scorpions need UVB light for their general health and well-being, so it might be pointless to provide them with one. I'm not sure of the effect of UVB light, or any UV light, on mycosis though. It might be worth it for you to try it out? Just keep in mind the 'warnings' of the people in this thread regarding the potential harms of UV light on scorpions.

snippy, you mentioned that when mycosis spreads to the book-lungs, a scorpion would be done for. I have a Hottentotta hottentotta that has mycosis in one of its book-lungs only. I think that is where it started, as I don't see any black spots anywhere else. Is it going to die, or should I just keep it dryer to stop the spread? This is what I have been doing, just spraying a corner once a week.

13. Galapoheros

Galapoheros ArachnoGod Old Timer

texas
    I've seen all injuries show up black on light colored scorpions I've had, I don't assume a black color always means there is a current fungal infection but could be the natural color of necrosis after injuries on most scorpions. I don't think it's been studied in depth. But with all injuries, there will be some bacterial growth and some possible fungal growth on dead tissue because bacteria and fungal spores are all over the place, everybody is breathing them in right now.

14. snippy

snippy Arachnobaron

Keep it as dry as possible, yes. I did not mean my statement to sound too harsh. Of course a scorpion could survive if the mycosis is mild (even on the booklungs). But if it spreads there, it is the beginning of the end ;)

@ AzJohn: Yes, you are right. UV-Light has even been discussed to destroy the capability of fluorescence in scorpions to allow further studies of what the fluorescence is good for in the first place. Obviously the doses needed to to that are ridiculous and nothing compared to your home depot lamp, but nevertheless it tells a story about the capability of UV-light.
    The highly photonegative reactions of most scorpions towards light in the higher frequency spectrum (blue up to uv) should tell the rest.
    Put simply: The surely don't like it!

Regards
    Finn

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  15. Thanks for that information is blacklight available for heating scorpions? And is it harmless?

16. Michiel

Michiel Arachnoking Old Timer

Uv lights are not used for heating as they don't give of that much heat...they are intended for other purposes.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9001 met Tapatalk

17. D3N2

D3N2 Arachnosquire

Thanks for the clarification, Finn.

I never really understood mycosis, I'm still fairly new. I see it pop up on the boards every now and then, but there is not a lot of information. All I remember is that it's some type of fungal infection that comes in the form of dark spots/markings on desert scorpions, usually appearing when a scorpion's enclosure is kept too moist. Even that dark spot thing is not an indicator of mycosis, as Galapoheros posted earlier.. I guess, as with many things related to arachnids, there is not much known yet.. :rolleyes:

18. ArizonaAmanda

ArizonaAmanda Arachnopeon

I have one of these guys that was given to me with mycosis... It has a spot right on the stomach over the ONE of the book lungs... I don't know if it's just on the exosceleton or actually in the book lungs... But... I know it is fatal in the book lungs... Is it fatal if only in one book lung... Or when all or several are involved?

19. darkness975

darkness975 Dream Reaper Arachnosupporter

It might survive if it's only on one.