How big do S. aztecorum get?

hecklad

Arachnosquire
I started trying to read about them today but I couldn't find much info on size. Any input is appreciated

NYAN

Arachnoking
People say they are close to heros sized. I think 5-6 inches total would be about right.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
People say they are close to heros sized. I think 5-6 inches total would be about right.
They are probably confusing S.aztecorum for the S.heros "Ghost Morph". S.aztecorum is a valid species but once was considered a synonym of S.viridis.

For the sake of not using someone else's pics, here are some adult specimens accurately represented:

https://gramho.com/explore-hashtag/scolopendraaztecorum

NYAN

Arachnoking
They are probably confusing S.aztecorum for the S.heros "Ghost Morph". S.aztecorum is a valid species but once was considered a synonym of S.viridis.
No, they are talking about aztecorum. As far as I know the ‘ghost’ pede you are talking about is also probably aztecorum. Are you referring to the Northern California pede?

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
No, they are talking about aztecorum. As far as I know the ‘ghost’ pede you are talking about is also probably aztecorum. Are you referring to the Northern California pede?
Yes, but what I am saying is S.aztecorum is not a giant centipede, but that I have seen people list a S.heros "Aztecorum" or "Ghost Morph" before. Which means they are probably ignorant to the fact S.aztecorum is a valid species and neither does it qualify as a giant centipede.

I have heard of this Northern California pede but also don't know any clear details about it either. S.polymorpha occurs all over California. I don't believe S.viridis even occurs in California - highly doubtful.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Yes, but what I am saying is S.aztecorum is not a giant centipede.

I never said it was. Some people consider 5-6 inches to be giant though.

but that I have seen people list a S.heros "Aztecorum" or "Ghost Morph" before.
I’ve never once seen this happen. I’ve heard of people talking about ghost heros and ghost centipedes. Besides them being misidentified as polymorpha, people seem fairly aware that aztecorum is a unique species.

neither does it qualify as a giant centipede.
Again, this depends on who you are asking.

I don't believe S.viridis even occurs in California - highly doubtful.
I agree with this. I’m not sure what it’s has to do with this though?

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Because S.aztecorum was once considered a synonym of S.viridis, however S.viridis does not occur in California and I don't believe S.aztecorum occurs in much farther north than San Diego (or so). So what is this ghost centipede from Northern California?

Does anyone here on the board know the natural distribution of S.aztecorum?

NYAN

Arachnoking
Because S.aztecorum was once considered a synonym of S.viridis, however S.viridis does not occur in California
When was it considered viridis? There have been a lot of really bad taxnonomy mistakes throughout history. That doesn’t really mean much in the end.

I don't believe S.aztecorum occurs in much farther north than San Diego (or so). So what is this ghost centipede from Northern California?

They have been found in riverside county. You also have the Northern California variant of them. @BobBarley works with them and claims they are indeed aztecorum. Someone who works with North Americans Pedes drew me a range map which included a rough line from Baja California up pretty far north. I don’t believe that this was correct though. I think the species occurs from Baja to riverside, maybe a Orange County, and I’m not sure where to go after that.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
When was it considered viridis? There have been a lot of really bad taxnonomy mistakes throughout history. That doesn’t really mean much in the end.

They have been found in riverside county. You also have the Northern California variant of them. @BobBarley works with them and claims they are indeed aztecorum. Someone who works with North Americans Pedes drew me a range map which included a rough line from Baja California up pretty far north. I don’t believe that this was correct though. I think the species occurs from Baja to riverside, maybe a Orange County, and I’m not sure where to go after that.

I need to reword that it was a potential synonym of both S.viridis and S.polymorpha:

Attachments

Hercules Hernandez

Arachnosquire
Because S.aztecorum was once considered a synonym of S.viridis, however S.viridis does not occur in California and I don't believe S.aztecorum occurs in much farther north than San Diego (or so). So what is this ghost centipede from Northern California?

Does anyone here on the board know the natural distribution of S.aztecorum?
There are four S. viridis ssp. in the state and Baja, Mexico.

Hercules Hernandez

Arachnosquire
@NYAN S. aztecorum (Verhoeff) averages around 6” to 7” in my experience. The species can be found throughout south central and south California west of the Sierra Nevada, and ranges down through the Mojave to the tip of the Baja/California Spur. They are most abundant in sandier areas with greater ambient humidity. Sadly the season is over for them so finding some would be nearly impossible at this time of year. However, if your spot is good, you should find some without a problem given there’s some moisture. :)

CA Desert Rat

Arachnopeon
For size, I'm going to say about 10" body length. I saw one back in 1977 or so just east of Anza Borrego that was as long as my size 13 boot and had a body as wide as my thumb. I would have caught it, but IT WAS A FOOT LONG PEDE! I tried to push it into a bag with my foot, but it disappeared into the rocks.

It was much bigger than the 6" to 7" S. heros that I've seen in AZ.

Celestus

Arachnopeon

For the sake of not using someone else's pics, here are some adult specimens accurately represented:

https://gramho.com/explore-hashtag/scolopendraaztecorum
"S. heros 'Ghost Morph'" was coined by Michael Emistry several years back. It was ridiculous then, and it's just as ridiculous now.

heros420

Arachnopeon
I have kept many Aztecs in my time and have never seen them get above 7in body length. S. Heros ghost on the other hand can get significantly larger from my experience, almost 8in.