How bad really is a fat tail scorpion sting?

centipeedle

Arachnosquire
Some sources say that’s its neurotoxins can kill you quickly. But I
doubt it’s that bad. How bad is it??

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've been stung by A. mauretanicus, I never felt dangerous symptoms creeping up. I didn't notice any changes in heart rhythm. I had a portable heart monitor here to keep up with it and an ER is real close to me. I was stung on my thumb. I had one with no stinger(broken off), the others did have stingers. I was taking something out of a small container it was also in. Well, that wasn't the one without stinger!, I got them mixed up. Extreme pain! I DID feel the effects of the neurotoxin but it wasn't unpleasant. If anything touched my skin, it felt like cool water was flowing over my skin. The pain, I didn't know what to do about the pain. I tried putting my hand in cool water, that made it much worse. I assumed warm water would make the pain worse, I tried that and was surprised that warm water took 90% of the pain away. The next day I was almost back to normal.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I've been stung by A. mauretanicus, I never felt dangerous symptoms creeping up. I didn't notice any changes in heart rhythm. I had a portable heart monitor here to keep up with it and an ER is real close to me. I was stung on my thumb. I had one with no stinger(broken off), the others did have stingers. I was taking something out of a small container it was also in. Well, that wasn't the one without stinger!, I got them mixed up. Extreme pain! I DID feel the effects of the neurotoxin but it wasn't unpleasant. If anything touched my skin, it felt like cool water was flowing over my skin. The pain, I didn't know what to do about the pain. I tried putting my hand in cool water, that made it much worse. I assumed warm water would make the pain worse, I tried that and was surprised that warm water took 90% of the pain away. The next day I was almost back to normal.
I've heard of hot water helping alleviate pain from centipede venom too. Interesting.

I bet you didn't make that mistake twice. ;) Sting me once, shame on you. Sting me twice...

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've heard of hot water helping alleviate pain from centipede venom too. Interesting.

I bet you didn't make that mistake twice. ;) Sting me once, shame on you. Sting me twice...
I think it was more like, "Sting me once, shame on me." haha. OMG that hurt but yeah like I said, warm water was a great thing that day, almost completely alleviated the pain but only when under warm water.

Fishkeeper

Arachnosquire
Warm water can help to break down venoms in some species, I think. Also, your nerves will sometimes prioritize sending "this is hot" signals over "ow!" signals.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Species is going to play a large factor. Along with the type of sting you received and the amount of venom that was actually injected. Some stings are just warning stings where very little venom is put off and there are very aggressive and high stressed situations where they will try and unload the tank on you... that's where I would worry

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
In my opinion you should not mess around at all with any species with significantly powerful venom and should treat it with respect. Treat it like a small fire- look at it, admire it, and care for it but whatever you do do not touch it or try to do anything stupid around it at all.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Do what I do - keep your hands out the enclosure, use tongs or paint brush in the enclosure. If you want be super safe put its enclosure in a plastic tub when you're working with it, if you're the clumsy type who might tip the enclosure.