1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how bad are N. chromatus hairs?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Bigboy, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Bigboy

Bigboy Arachnoprince Old Timer

Advertisement
    When my 1/8" N. chromatus tried to kick hairs at me while I was feeding it, I knew that it was going to be a little hellraiser. So my question to you folks on the boards is:
    How bad are the urticating hairs of N. chromatus compared to those of Ts such as T. blondi, or B. smithi?

2. Scorp guy

Scorp guy Arachnoangel Old Timer

well they all seem to have the same affect, my B smithi flicks em up like mad but i dont really feel anything, although my stripe knee (dont know the scientific name sorry folks!!) kicked them i got some in my eye and it hurts and lasts for a while but nothing serious.

3. Thoth

Thoth Arachnoprince Old Timer

I've noticed with my ts that with each molt there is a change in personality, so your N.chromatus might settle down .

Scorp Lver, hairs in the eyes might be one of the worse things that can happen, arguably worse than any bite (as Scott Crowe aka Nightmares about his hair in the eyes incident), and might have ongoing consequences.

4. subzero.xml

subzero.xml Arachnosquire Old Timer

maybe put some googles to protect your eyes =)

5. edesign

edesign Stacks o' spiders Old Timer

Aphonopelma seemani

and btw...you just might want to go to the doctor if you get hairs in your eyes. They can cause permanent damage with blindness being the worst of it. Never put your face near your T's tank, especially if it is a new world species that likes to kick hairs...and never let a new world T crawl on your face as you could easily get the hairs in your nose, mouth, or eyes (none of which would be fun). Might want to do a search on the forum about hairs and eyes/mouth, can cause some serious problems.

6. Pennywise

Pennywise Arachnolord Old Timer

My Nhandu

Mine is in a large KK with a hide that it likes. When I clean it either goes
    into the hide or behind it and does not kick hairs. It's a male about 4 1/2"
    and it's in pre molt now. it might go close to 6" with this molt. Urt. hairs
    don't bother me much if they are a problem wear gloves and glasses when
    working on the enclosure.

7. knottyduke

knottyduke Arachnosquire

Yep just use protection and prevent a bad situation. You just do not know what it is going to do to you until its too late.

Good advice mexican8

8. tmanjim

tmanjim Arachnodemon Old Timer

my 5 in. female n. chromatus - JAK - has never kicked hairs. she will shoot a threat display pretty easily though, and she is extremely fast. by far my b. smithi has the worst urticulating hair.

9. Windchaser

Windchaser Arachnoking Old Timer

I have not reaaly been bothered by the hairs from any of my N. chromatus, however none of them really want to be bothered. They pretty readily throw a threat display. The hairs from most Brachys bother me to some degree. However, my T. apophysis if by far the worst. I even look at her and I start to itch.