How are "hamorii" and "klaasi" pronounced?

Nanchantress

ArachnoFriend
Old Timer
Phonetically, is it...
HAM-or-eye or ha-MORE-ee-eye
or something else?

Also, is klaasi...
CLASS-ee or CLAW-see?

user 666

Arachnobaron
When you're south of San Luis Potosí,
And you spot a red and black T,
That's B hamorii.

Last edited:

user 666

Arachnobaron
B klaasi was named after someone who's last name was Klaas. Take however you would pronounce Klaas, and add an "eee" sound.

This T lives uphill from the sea,
To the south of Mexicali,
That's B klaasi.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Actually, a commemorative latin name that ends with the letter "i" is pronounced with the hard sound "eye," not "ee." This also indicates that Klaas was a male person. Named after a female, it would end in "ae" and be pronounced "ee."

It's common for people to pronounce latin words as if they were spanish. But it's different. See the link below:

http://capewest.ca/pron.html

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Actually, a commemorative latin name that ends with the letter "i" is pronounced with the hard sound "eye," not "ee." This also indicates that Klaas was a male person. Named after a female, it would end in "ae" and be pronounced "ee."

It's common for people to pronounce latin words as if they were spanish. But it's different. See the link below:

Apparently there is an exception when a person's name that is not Latin involved, making it klaa-see. I remember this from another thread on phonetics but I can't find the darn thing.

Lots of people write and pronounce that wrong. It is not klasi or clawsi or klassi, it is klaasi, named after Peter Klaas.
The double ii in hamorii makes it an 'ee' sound.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak

I was about to correct you until I got to the bottom part about classical Latin pronunciation being different from scientific Latin. Learn something new every day!

sasker

Arachnoprince
hamorii-desu
Hai. Sonotori desu!

I feel that hamorii is more suitable for a colour-phase of koi-carps, rather than a tarantula.

As for the pronunciation, does it really matter? I mean, most of the time it depends on the mother tongue of the person pronouncing it. The 'eye' sound is really something I only hear English speaking people make. I never heard any Dutch or German speaking person pronounce scientific names this way.

Latin is a dead language, so I think we need to have a time machine to know how the Romans would pronounce the many names that scientists came up with in recent years.

What matters is that when two people are speaking they both understand what they are talking about. If one says "Klaasee" and the other "Klaaseye" I think this would not lead to a lot of confusion.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
What matters is that when two people are speaking they both understand what they are talking about. If one says "Klaasee" and the other "Klaaseye" I think this would not lead to a lot of confusion.
I agree with that. Especially these days, a vast majority of human communication is text-based. This is the main reason why we can never reach a consensus regarding how to pronounce stuff. We always type it out, but rarely rely on actually saying the names.

Nanchantress

ArachnoFriend
Old Timer
these days, a vast majority of human communication is text-based. This is the main reason why we can never reach a consensus regarding how to pronounce stuff. We always type it out, but rarely rely on actually saying the names.
Well I'm the OP, and I like to talk out loud about my T's with my friends face to face (I know, so old-fashioned!) so I appreciate knowing the pronunciation. Thank you all!

boina

Lady of the mites
Please note that all the pronuciation rules cited here ONLY go for English speaking people. It even says so in the pretexts. In other languages the pronunciation of scientific latin is almost always different.

Interestingly, Prof. Beechhold in the first link always uses the -ee pronunciation as in klaas-ee.

And since Peter Klaas is German I feel justified in saying one might as well use the German pronunciation which is Klahsee ;).

sasker

Arachnoprince
I'm the OP, and I like to talk out loud about my T's with my friends face to face
Well, then I think you can pronounce it any way you are comfortable with. If someone tries to correct you, just let it go. Or use any of the arguments in this thread to 'prove' you are right if you feel like having a debate on Latin name pronunciation, rather than talking about something you really enjoy, namely tarantulas :)

Nanchantress

ArachnoFriend
Old Timer
It was just a question. I didn't think it would turn in to a discussion of the worthiness of the question and whether or not I should be asking it or caring how to pronounce things. Thank you to the initial people who gave me helpful information without the judgmental commentary. Sheeeesh!

sasker

Arachnoprince
Thank you to the initial people who gave me helpful information without the judgmental commentary.
I think you mean my posts. Sorry if it came across as judgmental. Reading back what I wrote I seem indeed a bit condescending and that was really not my intention. Perhaps I should have put some smilies here and there :). I was a bit in a hurry and that's what you get :embarrassed:. Sorry.

I stay with my original point of view, though. I think it does not matter so much how you pronounce the names. You can't do it right or wrong really, nor can anyone tell you you are doing it wrong.

creepa

Arachnoknight
They are pronounced

Mexican red knee and Mexican pink beauty..., no wait what the... aaahhhh!!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

petkokc

Arachnosquire
Latin pronunciation is such a mess, the rules differs between countries that I gave up on explaining them