How’s your 50% chance luck turns out so far?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Here are my updated stats:

Unsexed tarantulas that turned out to be female (40%):
  • Avicularia avicularia #2
  • Grammostola pulchra #1
  • Grammostola pulchra #2
  • Psalmopoeus cambridgei
  • Neoholothele incei
  • Davus pentaloris

Unsexed tarantulas that turned out to be male (20%):
  • Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
  • Dolichothele diamantinensis (sent to breeder)
  • Acanthoscurria geniculata

Slings I haven't yet sexed (40%):

• Bumba cabocla
  • Phormictopus sp. "south Hispaniola"
  • Psalmopoeus irminia
  • Augacephalus ezendami
  • Avicularia avicularia #3
  • Avicularia avicularia #4

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
I have only purchased one as a confirmed female, a 2” G. pulchripes.

She molted recently but the molt was a little too damaged for me to check.

I only have one or three others at or around 2” I maybe could check. And next molt I will.

The rest are slings.

Females would be nice because of the longevity, but I don’t plan to breed, but any that mature could be lent out.

I plan to give the spiders I have as long of a life as they are capable of.

Minty

@londontarantulas
Of the unsexed tarantulas I’ve bought, my C.cyanepubescens turned out to be male (from TSS), my Lapropelma violaceopes sub adult turned out to be female (from TSS), my Brachypelma boehmei is a suspect male (from a reptile store) and my Poecilotheria metallica is suspect male.

The rest are too small to sex.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
I love getting tarantulas as unsexed sling, and test my 50% chance luck of getting a female out of it.

Not well seing my a avic which was the first T i went to go get sexed molted wierd so the guy working there (who keeps Ts himself and knows what hes talking about) told me it was a bit too hard to sex he told me it looks like a male tho

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
since I started the hobby this year, all I raised are males.

MALE:
B. vagans (which I traded to a smaller sized female B. albopilisum)
B. hamorri x2 (not sure about the other one though)
B. boehmei
B. auratum

the rest are slings (seemani, lp, N. chroma)

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
When this post started last January, I was curious as to the input. I was interested because it seemed like so many folks are really caught up in the sexing thing. I thought maybe it just came with time in the hobby. However, let me throw my hat into the ring on the side of, and I mean this seriously, I don’t care one bit. I don’t mean this in any way to say one shouldn’t care about the sex, e.g., breeders, folks who yearn for a certain look that one or the other of the sexes may exhibit, etc., but as a simple keeper I just get a kick out of T’s being T’s. I don’t look at exuvia with my magnifying lens anymore. I buy slings without a second thought as to sex. If they hook-out on me I actually get a little excited about getting a new T within the next several months or so. I wouldn’t even consider sending a MM away on loan, or sale for breeding. We hung out this long, we’ll hang out to the end. I might not be into naming the little buggers, but I do think they’re cool enough not to put them in the position of possibly being dinner and a date. Just some input.

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
I love getting tarantulas as unsexed sling, and test my 50% chance luck of getting a female out of it.

1 female A chalcodes, 1 male Avicularia avicularia, 1 suspect male A seemanni and a B hamorii too small to sex. I seem to have been 1 for 3 so far. The A chalcodes was suspect female when I got her, was just starting to show mature colors. The Avic and A seemanni were both 1 inch unsexed slings. The Avic is now 4.32 inches in DLS and grew like a weed. The A seemanni is just over 3 inches in DLS, but I have yet to get a molt out of his burrow. He tears them apart digging himself out. Plus he stays down in his burrow for a month after his molt so the shed is bone dry and brittle by the time he digs out. My B hamorii is just about an inch, got it at just under 3/4" I believe or 1/2". Its in pre-molt again, this will be its 3rd for me.