How’s your 50% chance luck turns out so far?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I love getting tarantulas as unsexed sling, and test my 50% chance luck of getting a female out of it.

I got two that I could immediately tell were female. Of the remaining eight tarantulas that were unsexed when I got them, they are currently at least 50% female (possibly 62.5% female).

Unsexed tarantulas that turned out to be female:
  • Avicularia avicularia #2
  • Grammostola pulchra #1
  • Grammostola pulchra #2
  • Psalmopoeus cambridgei

Unsexed tarantulas that turned out to be male:
  • Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
  • Acanthoscurria geniculata
  • Dolichothele diamantinensis (now mature and available)

My Neoholothele incei sling is still too small for me to sex.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I love getting tarantulas as unsexed sling, and test my 50% chance luck of getting a female out of it.

MY luck?? Absolute crap. Always end up with males. Haha. But at least you get to see them, the ladies tend to hide out.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

My luck is typically very low , I had 11-13 obt 2-3 were female. Only have 1 left , p Regalis two of 11 were female . One died of dks . I think my parents spraying flee killer in my house decimated my Ts .
Possible sabotage too my parents hate my spiders and said they would cheer each time one dies.:( Maybe avoid flee & tick spray if you have Ts. I never sprayed in same room spiders were in tho.

Few losses since just a few bad molts.
In general I’m close to 25-50% . Much Lower on obt & regalis. 8-10%. Went from 80+ Ts to 54 in 4 years mostly cuz I don’t get many females.

Last edited:

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Hmmm. Lessee, what is my track record?

Okay. On September 10th 2014, I received 6 s'lings (apart from one that was a sub-adult)

They were:
1 A. geniculata
2. Hapolapus "pumpkin patch"
3. L. Parahybana
4.B. hamorii.
5 E. campestratus
6. G. pulchripes

Of these, I had a "gut feeling"-which is useless-that the A. genic was female. That doesn't matter anyway, as I had what I call "The tragic Moult" and I never got to find out if it was female or not.

The Pumpkin patch hooked out after its first moult in my care

The LP is female by virtue of a ventral sexing, the opinion was offered by the seller after supplying him with a photo, who I think has enough experience to make the call within a reasonable accuracy. Given her current size n appearance, I agree.

B. hamorii...going with my gut, I'm thinking male. Hopefully my gut is wrong again. I need to get a good ventral shot and see what folks think.

e. campestratus. Hooked out and as an aside, the fastest of the group to go from s'ling to maturity. Still going strong, though after a couple of years. Catches prey like a blind-folded participant in a pie-eating contest, though. It is amusing in a sad sort of way. I suspect his time is growing short.

G. pulchripes, I'm just unsure.

Further, when the A. genic succumbed to the Tragic Moult, a former member here decided, knowing that it was my favourite species, to replace the genic for me. It hooked out not too long ago. Normally, I kind of disassociate from males, but I remain fond of that one because I connect it with an act of kindness and generosity.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Updated list

Females

N. chromatus
B. emilia
C. versicolor
P. irminia
G. pulchripes
C. cyaneopubescens
N. carapoensis
P. ecclesiasticus
B. boehmei
P. antinous
N. incei
G. iheringi
H. sp. 'Fire'
T. stirmi
H. maculata
A. musculosa
B. albiceps
C. huahini

Males
C. versicolor
P. pulcher
P. cambridgei
E. cyanognathus
B. smithi
P. subfusca
P. atrichromatus
P. metallica
B. vagans
D. diamantinensis

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
As far as my luck goes with unsexed slings, I've had pretty good luck. I've purchased a total of 25 unsexed Ts;

Female - 9
A. seemanni
B. hamorii
C. cyaneopubescens
G. pulchripes
G. sp "North"
P. ornata
P. regalis
P. irminia
M. balfouri

Male - 2
B. cabocla
S. calceatum

14 of the 25 still remain unsexed. I have few suspect males in there, but the ones unsexed still remain too small to tell for certain or keep destroying their molts/stashing them where I can't get to them. :shifty:

Bipolar Spider

Arachnopeon
Not bad this year, all bought July last year

4 ornate slings, 3 ended up female
4 metallica slings, 2 female
2 rufilata slings, 1 female
3 Miranda slings, 2 females
4 sing blues slings, no clue yet but guessing male
1 regalis sling, female

horneteer

Arachnopeon
I now have 9 out of 10 of the T's that I set out to get when I entered the hobby. 4 of these were sexed juvi females when I bought them. The other 5 were unsexed and have all turned out to be female. This includes 1 unsexed juvi from TSS (and 1 spiderling). I wanted females so I've been lucky and they are all a joy to own.

Last edited:

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Usually, yes, with varying results. I had an offer to switch the male with a female the seller still had (cool) or got told I had no clue about sexing (not cool).

Best result: The seller immediately sent me a female, completely free of charge, and let me keep the male, too. He seemed genuinely embarrassed about the whole thing and I'm sure it was an honest mistake.

Worst result: I got yelled at that those weren't the spiders he'd sold me and I was trying to cheat him... I had bought two "sexed females" from him and both turned out male... I'm pretty certain that was NOT an honest mistake.
Brings up some reptile show horror stories.

One spider vendor had tons of juvenile spiders. Half were labeled "female" and were double the price of those marked "unsexed." The strange thing was there were no "males" of the same size and the only "males" on the table were adults. I'm no expert but I would think that if you could molt sex a tarantula and determine it was a female you should be able to tell if at least some of them were males. My takeaway from this. The "females" were probably females and the "unsexed" were probably males. I do realize that sometimes you may truly not be able to tell but like I said I would think that if you were confident enough to label some them as "females" you would be able to tell if at least some of them were males and should be labeled as such. I have yet to master the art of sexing Tarantulas and all of mine are sold as "unsexed" unless it is an adult male in which case it is labeled as such.

I sat next to a snake vendor once who, amazingly, every single snake he sold and sexed for a customer was the exact sex the customer was looking for if the customer had indicated a preference prior to sexing.

most of the conversations went something like this

Customer: "Do you know what sex that corn snake is?"
Verndor: "What are you looking for"
Customer: "I need a female to go with my male"
Vendor (after probing or popping): "Its a female"

In the cases where the customer didn't care it was almost always a female unless popping was definitive and the customer could see. The only time I really heard him say male was if the customer asked because they wanted to know what to name it. I guess he didn't want the snake to grow up sexually confused. Occasionally if the customer said they didn't care and he said "female" and they said they really wanted a male he'd grab another similar looking one and it inevitably turned out to be a male. One time the snake magically changed sex the second time he probed it when the customer indicated it wasn't what he was looking for and he didn't have a similar one on the table.

DanBsTs

Dan (Not Even Cool) the Man
Not counting my T. plumipes I bought as a sexed female, I’ve had one confirmed female from the 10 unsexed slings I bought. I have one suspect male. And the rest need a little bit more growth to determine sex.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Not bad this year, all bought July last year

4 ornate slings, 3 ended up female
4 metallica slings, 2 female
2 rufilata slings, 1 female
3 Miranda slings, 2 females
4 sing blues slings, no clue yet but guessing male
1 regalis sling, female
That’s like the opposite of my luck . Tho my males been up to 11:1 female ratio

Theneil

Arachnoprince
It's all probability/population stats. 50% assumes, POORLY I might add, the sac is 50% of both genders. Anything other than that is not 50% chance of getting one or the other.

I've yet to read a gender study re: progeny in a scientific journal. Though some breeders have long speculated the sacs can be prone to produce more of 1 gender than the other.

Remember males don't live very long, females do, not to sure it would be a good idea for the sac to be 50% of each gender.

I sure would love to see someone raise a FEW sacs of Lps for example and count the % of each gender.
I was thinking a vaguely similar thought the other day while viewing a thread about how nobody wants to breed LP and i couldn't help but think of all the studies that could be conducted with all the "worthless" slings...

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I was thinking a vaguely similar thought the other day while viewing a thread about how nobody wants to breed LP and i couldn't help but think of all the studies that could be conducted with all the "worthless" slings...
I can’t afford the vials to house 1000-2000 slings . I tried getting lp to breed males a chicken runs away from female who weights significantly more.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What studies?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Whatever studies a motivated individual or organization might want to do.
Unfortunately most research on Ts is taxonomy and venom research- anything else, there's no federal money for research.