How’s your 50% chance luck turns out so far?

SkittleBunny

Arachnosquire
I bought 6 curly hair slings just so I would hopefully get a female out of it, I have confirmed two of them so far to be female and another is suspected female, one is suspected male and the other two haven't been able to be sexed yet. Pretty good odds, so far on the group of curly whirlies. My two G.Pulchripes slings are too small, but one is suspected female after I accidentally tore the tiny molt while checking, (stupid cat..) Hopefully I get a female out of the G.pulchripes group.
I'm really happy with my Avicularia Avicularia group, out of the three, two are female.

ZHESSWA

Arachnopeon
I have 6 tarantulas currently, I bought one as a sexed female, 5 as slings. Out of the ones I bought that started as slings, two are still too small to tell, but the other 3 all turned out female so that's been pretty lucky and I hope my luck continues in that way :D

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I wasn’t informed at all actually. That was just my rough guess. At the end of the day, it is fun, and exciting to watch slings growing regardless of my odds, and sling’s sex.
I agree it is fun.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I'm including my two adults in this because deal with it. :rolleyes: They were obtained unsexed

Of the 4 I have with big enough molts to sex or that actually let me get a good look at their undersides, I have 1 confirmed female, 2 suspect females (one of which will be confirmed female or not in the next month or so when she molts), and 1 suspect male

cold blood

Staff member
SO the other day a couple friends came over....So I grabbed the 4 most recent molts...all from ts acquired as small slings and we (mostly they) opened all of them up and sexed each one...it was a good day.

D. fasciatus-female (ok, this wasn't a sling when I got it)
B. albopilosum-female

A. metallica-female

T. puriens-female

I bet that won't ever happen again. And here I wasted the rest of that night's good luck by not going out to buy a lottery ticket.

cold blood

Staff member
I bet you had good sleep on that night.
The lucky thing was that all of these were bought (or acquired) as singles....they are all the only specimens I have ever had of each species. Didn't really effect my sleep, I sleep too well every night...makes me hate mornings though.:bored:

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Of the spiders I've raised from slings, many of the groups were sac mates, some not, I got:
(sac mates noted with S)
A seemanni 0.1
S- B albiceps 0.2
S- B albopilosum 0.2
S- B auratum 2.3
S- B boehmei 1.1
S- B emilia 4.1
B schroederi 0.1
S- B vagans 1.1
B verdezi 0.1
S- LP 1.1
S- P irminia 0.2
P pulcher 3.1
S- C fimbriatus 2.2
P metallica 4.1
P rufilata 0.1
P muticus 1.0
S- P subfusca 3.2 (and they arrived packed in 3 blue straws and 2 pink straws LOL)
M balfouri 4.4
GBB 2.2
OBT 3.1
S- C lividum 3.0
S- C darlingi 1.1
S- C marshalli 2.1
G pulcripes 1.1
S- C versicolor 3.1
G porteri 0.1
S- C olivaceum 1.1
S- E olivacea 2.2
S- A enzendami 1.3
S- E murinus 1.1
S- Homoeomma sp blue 0.2
N coloratovillosus 0.1
N carapoensis 1.0
N tripepii 0.1

That's all I can remember off the top of my head. :)

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Some are just hard to get females...C. schioedtei for instance...L. violaceopes is another that comes to mind...you might get 10 slings and maybe get one male unless you are really fortunate .
So you're saying I maybe should have bought more than two schioedtei slings....

cold blood

Staff member

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

cold blood

Staff member
Well I will remain hopeful till faced with cold hard reality.
The one thing about them is that there is dimorphism with them, so you can get a real good idea of sex just by they way their colors come in...males are greenish, or you could say, they slowly green out....females darken.....I always raised them to maturity....they mature green, but IMO its a really cool green. And if you get a male, I would take it (I call dibs)

They're an in demand MM.

TN ANTMAN

Arachnopeon
Personally, I only have 3 of mine sexed. Waiting on new molts so I can sex the others with my new awesome USB microscope! But soooo far, my luck as been 100% female!!! Poecilotheria metallica, P. regalis, and A. avicularia all 3 turned out to be beautiful lil ladies. Super super happy XD.

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
The one thing about them is that there is dimorphism with them, so you can get a real good idea of sex just by they way their colors come in...males are greenish, or you could say, they slowly green out....females darken.....I always raised them to maturity....they mature green, but IMO its a really cool green. And if you get a male, I would take it (I call dibs)

They're an in demand MM.
Is there also dimorphism with C. schmidti?