How’s your 50% chance luck turns out so far?

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I love getting tarantulas as unsexed sling, and test my 50% chance luck of getting a female out of it.

How’s your 50% chance luck turns out so far?

Draketeeth

Arachnoknight
100% luck since I have no particular gender preference. It's a live tarantula, and that was the goal.

Of my four, 3 are too small for me to sex, and 1 is Male. All were acquired as itsy bitsy spiders.

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
100% luck since I have no particular gender preference. It's a live tarantula, and that was the goal.

Of my four, 3 are too small for me to sex, and 1 is Male. All were acquired as itsy bitsy spiders.
That's about how I feel. I have a sneaking suspicion that my Lp is a male, but he's just an absolute joy. Such a good spider. (That is, if we're not talking about his treatment of his water dish)

I'd REALLY like my N. chromatus to molt already :banghead:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was wondering about that. I know I've heard the phrase, "male heavy species" more than once.

Care to shed some light?

It's all probability/population stats. 50% assumes, POORLY I might add, the sac is 50% of both genders. Anything other than that is not 50% chance of getting one or the other.

I've yet to read a gender study re: progeny in a scientific journal. Though some breeders have long speculated the sacs can be prone to produce more of 1 gender than the other.

Remember males don't live very long, females do, not to sure it would be a good idea for the sac to be 50% of each gender.

I sure would love to see someone raise a FEW sacs of Lps for example and count the % of each gender.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Lordy :rofl:

"Tell me WHY we need to buy the house next door?"

"So I can put thousands of spiders in it. For science."
I look forward to reading your results. If Gregor Mendel can do it for pea plants, someone can do it for Ts.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I look forward to reading your results. If Gregor Mendel can do it for pea plants, someone can do it for Ts.
Perhaps Gregor Mendel (or one of his fellow friars) was the originator of the old nursery rhyme "Pease porridge hot, pease porridge cold, pease porridge in the pot, nine days old." after having to eat the products of his experiments for eight years...

"Please, Brother Gregor... can't we grow something else in the vegetable garden this year?"

"No! It must be peas. For science."

Last edited:

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've only raised a few spiders from slings. So far: B. albopilosum (F), A. versicolor (M), P. vittata (suspect male, but as yet unconfirmed), C. elegans (just got "her" - too small to tell yet)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I've had good luck in getting unsexed slings/juvies that turned out to be females (except from TSS, every unsexed juvie I got from them turned out to be male except for my versi).

Females
N. chromatus
B. emilia
C. versicolor
P. irminia
G. pulchripes
C. cyaneopubescens
N. carapoensis
P. ecclesiasticus
B. boehmei
P. antinous
N. incei
G. iheringi

Males
C. versicolor
P. pulcher
P. cambridgei
E. cyanognathus
B. smithi
P. subfusca
P. atrichromatus

I have a bunch of slings and a couple of juvies that are still unsexed atm.

Shannon1978

Arachnopeon
It's all probability/population stats. 50% assumes, POORLY I might add, the sac is 50% of both genders. Anything other than that is not 50% chance of getting one or the other.

I've yet to read a gender study re: progeny in a scientific journal. Though some breeders have long speculated the sacs can be prone to produce more of 1 gender than the other.

Remember males don't live very long, females do, not to sure it would be a good idea for the sac to be 50% of each gender.

I sure would love to see someone raise a FEW sacs of Lps for example and count the % of each gender.
This is something I've wondered about. Maybe T's are similar to many reptiles, where the temperature the eggs are incubated in determines the sex? I don't think all reptiles are like this ( I think the term is TSD, Temperature Sex Determination, or something like that), but the ones that are....eggs raised at higher temp, and also really low temps are predominantly male. Those raised in the middle range are predominantly female. You still get a mix of both sexes either way, but alot of times the females that come from high temp incubation (Hot Females) have problems reproducing. That's a pretty basic explanation, because my involvement with this is just that...basic. haha. But I remember it being true.

So maybe the same is true for T's? Or some other factors that help determine the sex of sacs?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Of the ones that I've bought as unsexed slings, so far I have 6 males and 5 females.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I've head P muticus, K brunnipes, etc. Are female heavy species.

While some Asian arboreal genera (Lampropelma) are much more male heavy.

It would be interesting if someone conducted a study of sorts.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
My odds have been pretty bad, 2 t's have sexed out male and one I'm 90% sure was probably male when I sold it as it grew wayy faster than it's female sibling and had narrower book lung spacing. I've only had one female come out of buying un-sexed slings all my other females were pre-sexed.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I generally prefer males as they grow faster and I can trade them in for something new but I think the majority of the unsexed spiders I've purchased have been female. On the other hand, 80-90% of my males end up eaten so maybe it's for the best that I have mostly females. My track record is as follows (from what I can remember anyway):

Males:
2x T.gigas
C.versicolor
H.sp Columbia
P.vittata
P.rufilata
A.seemanni
E.murinus
GBB
P.sp Machalla (suspect male)

Females:
P.sp Platyomma
2x P.regalis
P.metallica
4x T.gigas
S.generala
H.sanguiniceps
H.gabonensis
P.muticus
2x C.versicolor
I.sp recife
P.sp Purple
A.braunshauseni
A.veluntina
M.balfouri
G.pulchripes
G.iheringi

So that puts me at about 32% male and 68% female, I also have others that I either haven't gotten a intact molt or are too young to tell but I don't think the ratio would change much.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I’m majorly male heavy from unsexed slings and juvies. I’m prob 25% female 75% male. That includes all the 2-3” “unsexed” t’s I bought from here. Yep, they were all male lol.