Housing options

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey everyone!

Over the last couple of months I've acquired a small collection of snakes, as of right now I have them all in appropriately sized glass aquariums, which are working well enough but aren't exactly efficient space wise.

I won't lie, I'm awful at finding good information online, and though I always see things on racks, vivariums, stacking vivariums, ect. I don't really know a lot about them, so I'm turning to you for help.

I am a member of a couple snake forums, but so far I haven't found myself liking there attitude, I've been a member of the AB for almost 2 years, so I'm much more comfortable asking this here, so hopefully someone can help me out. :)

I've been considering either making my own stackable vivariums, or purchasing them, right now I'm not looking much at a rack system though if someone provides me with enough evidence that they're the way to go I'll definitely consider it as I know my collection of snakes isn't going to stop here.

My biggest questions would be heating, I can't tell how the heating system on either vivariums or rack systems work, with glass enclosures I've always used heat mats on one end of the tank, how does the heating work on a wood or acrylic vivarium, or the rack systems?

What is the best option expense wise? All of the vivariums and racks I've seen have always been on the expensive side, are there any websites that you would recommend with reasonably priced vivariums?

I know this might seem pretty jumbled, I hope you guys can help, I don't think I really know what I'm doing when It comes to anything other than glass tanks. :wall: ha.

Madratter

Arachnopeon
I think racks can sometimes be a cheaper option than tanks when you them all up. As far as heating racks I prefer flexwatt or heat cables but you need to use a thermostat with them. Google Boaphile. I got a rack from him with flexwatt and double thermostat all ready to go once it arrived and love it.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
what exactly is flexwatt and heating cables? and how exactly does a thermestat work? I've never needed to use one and I'm really only familiar with heating via pet store heat mats.

I realize how much of a newbie I must seem...I guess I kind of am when it comes to all the complex stuff, general care I'm fine with, I just never imagiend I'd own more then one or two snakes, but I'm up to 4 with a want list ten miles long. {D

Gold Skulltula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I keep Corn Snakes and I have them in racks by Animal Plastics. They have a cheap but sturdy economy rack line that is very affordable. You can chose back or belly heat. I have chosen belly heat, and it works great. There is a grove cut out in every shelf for a heat rope to snake (pardon the pun) through.

I have everything hooked up to a thermostat that reads and regulates heat. Without one of these the heat ropes can reach dangerous temperatures.

If you don't want to invest in one of these (even though they are DEFINITELY worth it), I've found that a human heating pad without an automatic shut off works pretty well. I have used the medium setting for my Corns in the past, but depending on what snakes you are keeping, you might need to go for high.

Good luck! If you have the know how and motivation to build your own rack, go for it! I don't have these skills, so I chose to buy racks. The economy rack is very nicely priced and definitely worth what you spend on it. I got mine for less than $200.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I hadn't thought of building my own racks but I have considered building my own stackable viviariums out of a nice sturdy bookshelf I found for sale locally. The only thing I haven't been able to figure out is how I would heat it.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I hadn't thought of building my own racks but I have considered building my own stackable viviariums out of a nice sturdy bookshelf I found for sale locally. The only thing I haven't been able to figure out is how I would heat it.
Both stackable vivariums and racks use flexwatt heat tape. If you type in "flexwatt heat tape" on youtube, you'll get a lot tutorials on what it is and how to use it. :)

We are also considering building our own stackable cages but we found some killer deals on used neodesha and animal plastics cages on craigslist so we bought those.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well the thing is with the design I was working on all but the door of the enclosure was going to be wood, which is why I was wondering how I might be able to hear it.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well the thing is with the design I was working on all but the door of the enclosure was going to be wood, which is why I was wondering how I might be able to hear it.
With wood enclosures, you'll probably have to do overhead heating unless you can make a space underneath the floor or a space behind the back wall and put melamine flooring or a melamine back wall. Put the heat tape between the melamine floor and the outside wooden bottom or between the melamine back wall and outside wooden wall.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Where would I be able to get melamine? Would plexi-glass or simply glass work?

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Where would I be able to get melamine? Would plexi-glass or simply glass work?
Plexiglass and glass are probably not a good idea to but a heating element directly on it. Melamine can be bought at stores like Home Depot, speciality stores, or online.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Because my collection is small right now I almost want to lean towards nicer display enclosures, but in my gut I know my collection is only going to get bigger so I'm really starting to look at rack systems. So far I really like the Rhino raxx, are there any other places selling rack systems that ya'll would suggest?

Lucas339

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well no one has really asked this but are they all the same type animal? in that i mean are they all colubrids or pythons or boas? or are they a mix? you don't want to have colubrids and pythons in the same rack due to the differences in heat.

i use racks for some of my stuff. they are great. they hold heat and humidity way better than any glass aquarium. i highly reccoment PVC racks or cages. Melamine is heavy and chemicals such as formaldehyde are used to make it.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They're all colubrids, I intend to add some pythons and boas in to my collection in the future, but right now I only have colubrids, and they're mostly what I'm sticking too. There arn't very many pythons and boas that interest me.

Lucas339

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you can build one yourself out of PVC really easy. my local PVC supplier will cut everything i need. it is easy to work with and will last forever. runs about 86 bucks a sheet. way cheaper than buying one. check online. there are several tutorials out there.

im building a small one tonight....seriously should only take about an hour.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I might give it a try, though to be honest, though I talked about building my own viv, I'm not very crafty, and would probably screw up. I think I'd get especially lost on trying to heat it! :eek: