Housing on a C. Versicolor Sling

Coagulon

Arachnopeon
First sling and I'm a bit curious to know what would be the best for it right now.
I know that ventilation is a definite for them, but from my understanding; it's also best to keep them in a smaller space while they're around this size...?
Or would the 3x3x6/HerpCult be just fine for it now at this size?
It has 42 holes in total while the dram only has 8 through the top of the lid.
Haven't gotten to mistings/droppings yet (or feedings, for that matter - though I do plan to start it on fruit flies soon,) so I'm fairly certain that humidity is no where near high right now.
Just not sure how to keep it that way in the dram, either (super light misting?)
Any and all help/advice is appreciated w/ my thank in advance !

sling.jpg

@EulersK

Thekla

Arachnoprince
That dram vial is fine for now. Just add more ventilation and something (e.g. cork bark) for it to climb on (and a few fake leaves if it fits).

A light spritz of water every few days for drinking is enough, no need to monitor humidity, it's irrelevant.

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
as said above the dram is fine, and u just need to add stuff for it to climb on. should also try other alternatives than fruitflys. as it gets older just use dry sub and a water dish.

coagulous

Arachnopeon
Ah, alright, s'well.
I'll have to do some shopping for tiny stuff then, baha, so let's see how much trouble this is.
And making more holes is another thing I'll need to look into unless I decide to move it out of there temp.
@Enrgy , could you recommend me something else? I can only think fruit flies, pinheads, and super small dubia... But I've honestly been kind of dumb on it.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
You could carefully drill holes in the vial, just takes a lot of patience. It could easily crack so be careful if that's the route you want to take.

Small crickets will work as food, don't let the slings size fool you. It will take down bigger prey. Just make sure it's not a huge cricket.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Hey there, you made it! Welcome to the dark side :D

I can only think fruit flies, pinheads, and super small dubia... But I've honestly been kind of dumb on it.
If you've got hatchling dubia, those will work. So would pinheads. You could also use micro mealworms. But stay away from fruit flies, their nutritional value is terrible.

coagulous

Arachnopeon
Oh, man.
Yeah, I might just want to ease myself into it by making more on the lid since this is the only vial I've got.

And hey, K !
Also, thanks, bahah.

Truthfully, I'm a little shocked about the whole feeding thing.
I suppose I'll shoot for crickets right now, though, as I'm not staying somewhere near my local reptile shop.
Would definitely like to try the dubia due to it's nutrients.
Last time it ate is kinda unknown to me.
Suppose I should've asked, only, these things slip my mind - got it Saturday, it should be fine until later today, right?
I'll be getting the crickets then.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Truthfully, I'm a little shocked about the whole feeding thing.
Yeah, that's one of the biggest learning curves when people make the jump from reptiles to arachnids. For one, spiders can take down prey the same size as themselves or even bigger, especially when they're slings. Not that this is recommended, mind you, but it can happen. On top of that, they can go an absurd amount of time between feedings. Avicularia/Caribena are exactly known for long fasts, but other genera go over a year without food willingly.

Would definitely like to try the dubia due to it's nutrients.
Message me on FB, I lost our discussion thread. I can help you out with the dubia.

Suppose I should've asked, only, these things slip my mind - got it Saturday, it should be fine until later today, right?
Absolutely. No need to stress about feeding. If you're doing this whole husbandry thing right, you shouldn't need to spend more than 15 minutes per month maintaining. I've got roughly 200 juvies/adults, and I spend perhaps an hour per month total maintaining. My houseplants literally need more attention than the spiders.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Dremmel type rotary tool plus a circuit board drill will work great for putting holes in the vial. Thats what i use. Just don’t go TOO slow or you will start melting. (a little vaseline goes a long way too.)

353866F7-AB79-4165-B9B2-E19CC33F9A70.jpeg

I currently have some in 40 dram vials. Just big enough for a bottle cap water dish behind that flower petal.

AMAC boxes also work great and although it is definitely on the big side and it wouldn’t be my first choice, the other enclosure would probably work as long as the vent holes aren't big enough to allow escaping.

i use mostly redrunner nymphs. IMO they are the best overall feeder.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Dram is fine--- put in a single cork bark slab at an angle against container wall. Water dish is useful too.

Once they reach about 1" to 2" DLS I put Avics in a 32 oz deli, cheapest/clearest container out there. I use AMACs as well.