Housing Multiple Species

Mike Schwartz

Arachnopeon
Good Day! As I am new to this board, I have a quick question that might have been addressed in other threads. If so, please redirect me.

I currently have a healthy young A. bicolor specimen, maybe 6th or 7th instar. He/she, not officially sexed as of yet, is being kept in a 5 gallon closed glass setup with sand, rocks, and a dried wood for cover. I have see information posted concerning housing this species together and wandered how it would fair to house this fellow with an A. australis hector morph or a L. quinquestriatus. Or even all three? Anyone care to share experience?

Thanks,
Mike

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
With the exception of M balfouri, housing them together always results in a bloodbath and one very fat tarantula.

With different species, it's 100% fatal.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Good Day! As I am new to this board, I have a quick question that might have been addressed in other threads. If so, please redirect me.

I currently have a healthy young A. bicolor specimen, maybe 6th or 7th instar. He/she, not officially sexed as of yet, is being kept in a 5 gallon closed glass setup with sand, rocks, and a dried wood for cover. I have see information posted concerning housing this species together and wandered how it would fair to house this fellow with an A. australis hector morph or a L. quinquestriatus. Or even all three? Anyone care to share experience?

Thanks,
Mike
If you go 3, threads down on the scorpion section entitled imperator and dictator together your questions will be answered

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Non-Tityus/Centruroides buthids tend not to play nicely together with their own species, let alone others. Some people have had success with a communal setup of Parabuthus transvaalicus, but I wouldn't try Androctonus or Leiurus.

PureXotics804

Arachnosquire

Thanks,
Mike
I would not advised this, when i first got into the hobby i was sold a group of asian forest scorpions not knowing that it was different species i placed them into the same container as the seller told me they were all the same kind. They got along fine for months but as they got older one started to look different than the others. It's because it was a H.petersii while the other 3 was H. Spinifer. The petersii sadly was devoured with no traces, while the 3 H. Spinifer still cohabitate to this day with no issues. They may not kill each other immediately but this will definitely result in on or more deaths.

Gogyeng

Arachnobaron
It is known that mycrohilid frogs and mygalomorph spiders can establish commensalism associations,
case for species of the genus Poecilotheria
https://www.researchgate.net/public...m_in_microhylid_frogs_and_mygalomorph_spiders

So in principle, a microbiome consisting of carefully chosen species might be possible, and it has in fact been attempted,
By tarantupedia for instance,

That being said keeping several specimens of even the same species of arachnid is generally unwise, with very few exceptions in OW species, juvenile poecilotheria, to some extent in more tolerant african baboons (harpactirinae), and exceptionally in Eumenophorinae with Monocentropus, although MMs can pester in M. Balfouri communal enclosures =,)

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
With the exception of M balfouri, housing them together always results in a bloodbath and one very fat tarantula.

With different species, it's 100% fatal.
No it is not. There are ither speicies that can live communal. H villosella are one! I have had a communal set up of thise for years, until i sold the whole thing!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +

Thanks,
Mike
I would not house the species you mentioned together.